How do I properly store these acorns to start new bonsai?

Maxicat

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post here. I just collected these acorns from a local park: http://i.imgur.com/AMnqZAt.jpg and I want to find out how to store them for their dormant period. I am thinking of putting some soil into each plastic bag and keeping them in the fridge for a few months. Is this a good idea? When should I start planting them?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi and welcome!

I've stored them in the fridge in a plastic bag before, then when I wanted them to sprout, I placed them in a bag with moist vermiculite in the fridge. I didn't use them for bonsai, I just planted them outside to grow into full trees.

Just realize that starting from seed is a long process, especially with Oak. There's going to be a number of years before you can begin to train them.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
The main bonsai nursery here started with oak from seed in 1982, they have only been digging up chuhin and shohin size trees for the last 5 years or so... If you're going to grow from seed, try something like Trident maple or something tough to kill and grows fast, oak is neither of those things.

Top Bottom