How do know if I can trust my local bonsai nursery?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An answer from a real, local (to someone!) nursery. Awesome.

I went to a nearby nursery not to long ago and noticed that he was trying to somewhat gauge my skill/experience level. It was clear that he used this to steer me away from some trees, which I appreciated. The nursery specialized in wholesale "mallsai" and he was almost embarrassed by that fact and even said to me "someone like you should only by a tree in bonsai soil"...but I think perhaps he overestimated my skills 🤣
I doubt it. He may just recognize someone who is really interested in bonsai, and not by the idea of bonsai.

After 2 years of classes in my bonsai school I was "questioned" by the owner whether I only had projects, or also more refined trees. His concern was that skills were advancing beyond material. The next time I brought trees that were more advanced but did not need a lot of work.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I doubt it. He may just recognize someone who is really interested in bonsai, and not by the idea of bonsai.
Definitely. He was also very excited to show me some of his own trees and that he was credited in David de Groot's book. Apparently, he took David on a trip of penjing gardens are served as his translator, which sounds like a really fruitful trip because I love watching David critique a tree, and you need a talented and knowledgeable interpreter.

So I guess that's another way you can know if you can trust your local nursery!

Top Bottom