How do you deal with deadwood on JBP

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
One of my pines has a ten-jin that I'd like to keep. At a recent workshop with Bjorn, he said that black pines shouldn't have bleached white (lime sulfur) deadwood. I have another JBP that has a nice shari I'd like to accentuate as well. How do you treat the deadwood on JBP?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you keep deadwood on a JBP, just let it age naturally. Another alternative is to add India ink to the lime sulfur so that its darker.

Here's the point: JBP naturally live in coastal regions, so their deadwood isn't permanent. It quickly rots off. Unlike Juniper and JWP which live in higher, dryer climates. Their deadwood gets sun bleached and can last a long time.

So, usually, JBP don't feature deadwood at all. Of course, there are exceptions, but it's gotta be great deadwood!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bleach it as usual and when dry dilute black India ink 50% and paint it on and let it run into the cracks and dull the bleached look.

Lime sulphur is a preservative (lime) and an insecticide/fungicide (sulphur). Leaving the wood untreated will cause rot and a place for disease to enter.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my pines has a ten-jin that I'd like to keep. At a recent workshop with Bjorn, he said that black pines shouldn't have bleached white (lime sulfur) deadwood. I have another JBP that has a nice shari I'd like to accentuate as well. How do you treat the deadwood on JBP?

....says Bjorn....

If you like it....do it....!

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
If you keep deadwood on a JBP, just let it age naturally. Another alternative is to add India ink to the lime sulfur so that its darker.

Here's the point: JBP naturally live in coastal regions, so their deadwood isn't permanent. It quickly rots off. Unlike Juniper and JWP which live in higher, dryer climates. Their deadwood gets sun bleached and can last a long time.

So, usually, JBP don't feature deadwood at all. Of course, there are exceptions, but it's gotta be great deadwood!

Always teaching. Love that about you Adair M!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
....says Bjorn....

If you like it....do it....!
Well... each person can do what they wish to their tree.

However, all of us learned at some point that is probably best not to wear plaid trousers and a plaid shirt at the same time.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD!:p

Top Bottom