How do you feel about new folks with expensive tools?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I notice a trend in most hobbies and figured I'd tap the bonsai nut community to get your thoughts. How do you feel when you see a new person with a full set of American Bonsai tools or Kaneshin or the like? It always brings to mind musicians I know who can get a little bent out of shape when they see a novice player rocking a $900 Gibson or whatnot. Do you see it as a waste? A good investment on the front end? Or just not give a damn?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't give a damn. If the person can afford it, more power to him/her.
I see this kind of stuff all the time in the music world. I admit readily that I'm not worthy of the music intruments I have but to be honest, I play better with them than with the instruments supposedly fit for my level of play. With better instruments, there are fewer things to blame so we have to face reality and learn.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't give a damn. If the person can afford it, more power to him/her.
I see this kind of stuff all the time in the music world. I admit readily that I'm not worthy of the music intruments I have but to be honest, I play better with them than with the instruments supposedly fit for my level of play. With better instruments, there are fewer things to blame so we have to face reality and learn.

I feel ya on the musical instruments. When I play a really nice bass I feel like it just highlights my mistakes haha.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Can I borrow that real quick-like?":D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

…...ain't as bad as having a whip with 700+ horsepower!

Only a waste if you don't use the tools towards cultivating a tree that you enjoy.
Nobody should ever catch a case over fancy tools relative to their experience......
23450-aint-nobody-got-time-fo-dat-me-dNtR.gif:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't hold an opinion either way, just making conversation. ?
Me too.

I'm reminded of a New Yorker cartoon from back in the 80s when jogging was the rage. The cartoon showed a couple in their designer jogging suits watching a runner in raggedy sweats going by. They were saying to one another that "one shouldn't jog if they cannot afford to".

At any rate, I believe that if one hasn't done something before, they should make a minimal investment to 'test the water'. If it is indeed something one seriously wants to do, then I generally believe in buying quality things that will at least last a lifetime. Pruning scissors though are another matter - I strongly prefer cheap 'diposables'.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think if quality tools are valued, used wisely, and preserved, it is only a waste if they are not used.

As for instruments, it seems like the more weathered or mediocre they are, the more I enjoy them -perhaps because I’m not afraid of creating the slightest finish flaw or such.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I started with carbon and I’m glad I did.
I tried to cut too fat of branches with them.
I now have American Bonsai and carbon both. I have one kaneshin- narrow cutter.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm, in bonsai world doesn't bother me, cutters are cutters, they look preatty much the same also i believe there is a good value in more expensive tools so if people can afford them cool.
but i was into MTB for years, saw 2 or 3 new generations going through and i have to say it somehow made me happy to be faster on my old 26" hardtail worth nothing than the fella on his 6K$ brand new full sus Santa Cruz and he is talking to upgrade the fork....
you get me:)

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I really couldn't care less what other people do with their money.
That said if you think you are serious about getting in to bonsai then buy things that will last.
I was an auto technician for the better part of my working life.
I own a large assortment of Snap On tools. They are not cheap but they are the best.

I have always believed the old saying of "buy once cry once".

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started with a cheap set of Joshy tools. I didn’t want to sink a bunch of money into tools if I didn’t plan on sticking with it. Now I plan on sticking with this hobby/obsession I’ll begin to invest in better equipment/education/materials.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't hold an opinion either way, just making conversation. ?

In that light I will bite.
I think this is one of those chicken/egg things. How can you expect to get good when working with crap? On the flip side I have seen experts do amazing things with garbage.
On one hand you could say good tools/materials are wasted on the novice. While on the other you could say what better way to learn than with top tools/materials?

I have seen it in many fields of endeavor. Some people will be able to overcome any obstacle with ease and grace, and be AMAZING (man I hate you people). Some (like me) could have the best tools and material in the world, and maybe, if we REALLY try really hard, could strive to someday reach mediocre.

My opinion? Get the best you can reasonably afford, and do your best with it. Not much more can be expected.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I talked to Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, and she told me that the Green New Deal has provisions in it for everyone to get a full set of bonsai tools. Working on trees is good for Climate Change she said, while your miserable kids are just breathing my air!!

Top Bottom