How do you go about seedling selection?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it depends on many factors, just post some examples of what you do personally. As detailed as you want.
Species? Trait? Number of seeds? Source of seeds? Culling? Soil? Container?
Success?

Cheers

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
If I have a lot of seeds of that species I dont care at all, I let the nature make the work: the strongest live the others die, if I dont have a lot of them or is a rare species I babysit them, for example years ago I got Montezuma cypress seeds from Mexico only one sprouted so the first years I just up-poted the plant and dont touched it at all, I really didnt want any chance of killing it

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
One of the most informative resources for me are the videos that Eric Schrader puts out for Bonsaify. You can search Bonsaify on Youtube. Specifically all of his JBP related videos. You can follow along on his process basically from planting through to 3 year old so you can get an idea of what he looks for in the plants and how he develops them.

Obviously most of us don't have commercial operations like he does where you can plant thousands of JBPs and develop them. But, even if you started with 20 and worked them in the same manner that he works his plants you'd end up with a handful of great plants by the end of 5 years.

He also has some great videos on soil types and showing which seedlings did best in what types of soil. He also compares containers to show the pros and cons of each type of container and how you can use each type depending on your end goal.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If I have a lot of seeds of that species I dont care at all, I let the nature make the work: the strongest live the others die
I agree with Arnold. Unless you have very limited space, I'd just let nature take it's course.

Out of the many seeds I've planted in the past 2.5 years, many didn't survive. The ones that did survive are good and strong, as far as I can tell.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Arnold yes and @Wulfskaar also yes, i too do the "survival of the fittest" thing, but it's also kinda subjective to availability of what i'm growing. things that are cheap and readily available i take more chances with and get all experimental, things that are rare, expensive, or completely irreplaceable because i smuggled them in a suitcase, those i tend to do more by the book.
I would never toss a seedling though, because that one that you liked better might have an accident, so just hang on to all of them

Top Bottom