How do you guys keep notes/ideas for trees organized?

kthehun89

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As I really start to develop a sense of tree styling and individual, concrete goals for each of my trees, a little organization task has arisen. All notes and ideas I have had so far are just in my mind, or jotted down on random papers, but I'd like to condense this.

I do have a nice large moleskin notebook unused that I have thought about devoting to my bonsai projects. I can sketch and plan on these pages, as well as write points and notes as needed. I figure I can start a tree and leave 5-6 pages empty after to fill in over the years. I have also thought about printing out some small photos to tape into the pages.

Anyway, this is what I do. Nothing worth posting pictures of, yet, but I'd surely like to hear or see what all you guys do to keep things in line?

K

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done nothing until the start of my photo-blog. I admire the progressions that people have. a photo journal is nice.

I am starting to color code the plastic mesh in my pots. I can look under the pot and tell which year something was repotted. That's the extent of any organization in my world.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mix of low tech and high tech for me.

I have a looseleaf binder with a page (to start) for each tree. At the top of the page I write where/when I got it, and then enter what I feel are relevant notes in chronological order, such as bud break, when flowering occurs, insect problems, wiring, repotting...I don't keep trach of everything for every tree every year, just things that seem important.

For stock that is in training (and in the ground) I keep track of the size of the trunk and tree height, when trunk chops are done, when tree is lifted, etc.

If I create a virtual of the future tree, either by hand or using a computer, I can easily insert that into the binder. The binder is nice because you can use as many pages as you need for a particular tree.

I also keep photographic records of as many of my trees as I can. These are kept on the computer. Very simple format, each tree has its own folder, no fancy organizational scheme.

Chris

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Notes???? I don't keep no stinkin' notes!:rolleyes:;)

I got better about pictures, though, when they started putting cameras on cell phones. Usually still forget to take before pictures though.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep word documents on all of the trees I'm developing (you know they're never finished). I start off each document with a synopsis of the plant as purchased (trunk diameter, height, size of root ball, where purchased, etc.), I insert pictures, and I plan future work or ideas. During the year, I'll update with things I've done, observations I've made, things that have happened. In late winter, before repotting, I'll update the plant size, take pics, and make plans for the year.

The better the notes you take, the easier it will be on you in the future, and it will help you make observations and better decisions. Noting things like soil size and composition and root growth is extremely helpful, since we only see the roots once a year, at best.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use plastic tags to identify and catalog each of my trees when I acquire them.
I photograph each tree each year and after I do any major styling to it and download them onto the computer with a folder for each tree.
I do have some paper notes and I started a spreadsheet to keep track of notes for each tree but Im a bit behind on updating it.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Luckily I have a mind like a steel trap !

I wish I could figure out how to open it though....

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I keep an excel worksheet for all my trees. It contains name, date purchased/collected, how much, where acquired, status, etc.

I also have a folder for each tree and dump pics on each every now and then. I bought the plastic tags w/ intent of putting tree name and code...but I have been procrastinating on that. :eek: :rolleyes:

I need to be more systematic on my pic documentation though...some (esp the younger ones) don't have any yet. :p

It is amazing & fun to go back and see what each tree originally looked like and when exactly it was acquired & how. :)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
iPad Bonsai Album is a good tool

If you have a "isomething" device, like the iPad, the Bonsai Album App is a nice tool to work with. I also seem to forget to take before, during and after photos. The Bonsai Album is nice because I can take it anywhere and "think about a specific tree" even while traveling.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
If you have a "isomething" device, like the iPad, the Bonsai Album App is a nice tool to work with. I also seem to forget to take before, during and after photos. The Bonsai Album is nice because I can take it anywhere and "think about a specific tree" even while traveling.

Ditto, a great program imo. Notes, logs and photo's all in one database

Top Bottom