How do you like them apples?

Cruiser

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My little apple tree. It’s actually a Cotoneaster, but it looks so much like the real thing.
Growing up, my family would visit the orchard every Fall to pick fresh Macintosh apples. I can still remember the smell like it was yesterday.

Attachments

• 4DBD33AA-1AC8-4A55-9641-D75358BFA6E1.jpeg
    4DBD33AA-1AC8-4A55-9641-D75358BFA6E1.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 121
  • F051A353-7B1D-4427-A987-33F62D333EA6.jpeg
    F051A353-7B1D-4427-A987-33F62D333EA6.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 761BF727-3B68-4FAB-BA63-00D4B565731E.jpeg
    761BF727-3B68-4FAB-BA63-00D4B565731E.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 290B26D9-A3E5-4E88-9E6E-9F77696A1189.jpeg
    290B26D9-A3E5-4E88-9E6E-9F77696A1189.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 104

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing up, my family would visit the orchard every Fall to pick fresh Macintosh apples. I can still remember the smell like it was yesterday.
Thanks for the recollection of my aunt & uncle's orchard -- we helped in the packing house, one year -- that crisp air, that beautiful smell -- ahhh! 😀

P.S. -- Lovely tree, too!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That’s awesome looking. It does have the scale look to it which really sells it

(Now to find something similar but as orange trees)

Kanorin

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been looking at lots of crabapples recently because I just put one in my landscape and I've also been collecting seeds from them for the forest contest. I've noticed that most of them tend to grow as informal brooms and their canopy tends to be more wide than tall, which is exactly the aesthetic you have going here. Very nice!

Cruiser

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice!

I'd like to see it in a different color pot.

What does it feel like up close?

Sorce
Thanks. What color do you think would compliment a tree like this?
The pot feels textured. It’s heavy, I think stoneware. The bottom dish came attached. It’s think it was made in China. Seemed like a good deal at 14.00.

Cruiser

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That’s awesome looking. It does have the scale look to it which really sells it

(Now to find something similar but as orange trees)
That would be neat! Perhaps there’s a variety of Cotoneaster with orange berries?
A while back I saw oranges trees with tiny oranges, but I can’t remember if the scale looked right.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That would be neat! Perhaps there’s a variety of Cotoneaster with orange berries?
A while back I saw oranges trees with tiny oranges, but I can’t remember if the scale looked right.
I’ve been trying to source some orange seeds actually. Hoping to get some from the store, but many are seedless (and other than buying some online...)

An orange berry variety would work well

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Seems pyrancanthia has orange berries and aren’t toxic to people (but eating them would still give you an upset stomach)

Cruiser

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Seems pyrancanthia has orange berries and aren’t toxic to people (but eating them would still give you an upset stomach)

Heres a Mojave variety pyracantha. The berries are a nice red orange but they’re off scale with the foliage and mostly grow in clusters. Not sure if oranges do that..
This ones in the ground. Maybe the leaves reduce a bit in a pot?

Attachments

• FE1ACD6E-69C9-4F67-B5B0-98FCE2D35748.jpeg
    FE1ACD6E-69C9-4F67-B5B0-98FCE2D35748.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 25

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Heres a Mojave variety pyracantha. The berries are a nice red orange but they’re off scale with the foliage and mostly grow in clusters. Not sure if oranges do that..
This ones in the ground. Maybe the leaves reduce a bit in a pot?
Some kumquat trees grow fruit in clusters. People plant kumquat trees as ornamentals. The fruit is awful. Only kids are brave enough to eat it...once.

Eckhoffw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks. What color do you think would compliment a tree like this?
The pot feels textured. It’s heavy, I think stoneware. The bottom dish came attached. It’s think it was made in China. Seemed like a good deal at 14.00.
I think the pot is fun & works.
But maybe a earthen green tone would make the fruit pop even more. 👍

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What color do you think would compliment a tree like this?

Not sure. I was wondering if you've kicked it around at all.

I guess something contrasty to the red would give it a righteous place as color in a shohin stand...

But I think taking time to get it down into a wide shallow unglazed piece would send off a nice lone apple tree vibe, a nice expanse.

Sorce

Cruiser

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some kumquat trees grow fruit in clusters. People plant kumquat trees as ornamentals. The fruit is awful. Only kids are brave enough to eat it...once.
My sister had a kumquat growing in her yard. I tried the fruit, then she told me rats love them and crawl all over the tree at night. Never again.

Cruiser

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure. I was wondering if you've kicked it around at all.

I guess something contrasty to the red would give it a righteous place as color in a shohin stand...

But I think taking time to get it down into a wide shallow unglazed piece would send off a nice lone apple tree vibe, a nice expanse.

Sorce
I considered a blue pot for down the road. Something playful, for a playful tree.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Arlithrien Apples Fruiting 9
Shogun610 Cedar Rust Apples New to Bonsai 9
Mellow Mullet Apples, Anyone? Fruiting 5
S So How Dead Are These Apples? New to Bonsai 1
Waltron couple collected crab apples Fruiting 1