How do you pair a Bonsai with a container?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am not teaching anyone. Is just what i like to do with my trees: put them into deep or/and wide enough pot with 50% organic + 50% inorganic substrate, that way wiring into a pot is completely unnecessary. My trees are stable in that kind of pots/substrate even vs strong winds. Is just my way for now, maybe i will change my taste latter, who knows, you don't need to be rude. I didn't say that's the right way. I am not a profeesional bonsaist, just lets say enthusiast, for now, so i really don't care much about "rules" (for now ;)).
Care to share a few photos?

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
An extremely simply app, but anyways far too complex for my computer skills. But maybe others do have the skills to make something like this?

I have actually been toying with something like this. It's a simple premise. But making it a pleasure to use is the tricky part.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am not teaching anyone. Is just what i like to do with my trees: put them into deep or/and wide enough pot with 50% organic + 50% inorganic substrate, that way wiring into a pot is completely unnecessary. My trees are stable in that kind of pots/substrate even vs strong winds. Is just my way for now, maybe i will change my taste latter, who knows, you don't need to be rude. I didn't say that's the right way. I am not a profeesional bonsaist, just lets say enthusiast, for now, so i really don't care much about "rules" (for now ;)).

Btw do you know that classic Japanese bonsai trees had grown in bigger and deeper pots (no wire included!) before "modern bonsai era" occur? And some of these trees are still alive even after more then 300 years. Sure, they grow in smaller pots now in modern substrates but most of their lives they had grown in deeper pots with organic soil + river sand. I guess you don't mind, if i want to "revive" this kind of art for my personal collection? You don't need to like it, what matters is if i like it.
I don't get it why are you so aggressive, guys, it is just an art, do what YOU like to do, there shouldn't be any rule about what pot you need to choose and why wiring is a must have ... It's like choosing between baroque, impressionism, realism, classicism etc. Pick up what you like the most.
The term Sifu is the title of a master teacher, thus the protest. See; you do stuff contrary to the flow you get push back.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Pot does not make tree a Bonsai but being Bonsai makes tree ready for pot.
A tree is only a tree (even if dwarfed) and a pot is only a pot (even if in the form of a shallow tray)
But a "Bonsai" is the tree and the pot together in unison.
Following the literal translation of the word bonsai (bon=pot; sai=planting) it is "tray planting" or "planted in tray/pot" .
It does not become a "Bonsai" until both the tree and the pot are harmoniously combined.
The Japanese decide about the pot (all its characteristics and qualities) and include the pot into their design of their bonsai to be from the very beginning.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm sensing a little sarcasm. Care to elaborate?
Did you read post #2 before you asked a silly question about post #21????

or...

Do you just look for the sarcasm in threads and call that out?

...cause if you read post #2 first...post #21 is self explanatory correct?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
A tree is only a tree (even if dwarfed) and a pot is only a pot (even if in the form of a shallow tray)
But a "Bonsai" is the tree and the pot together in unison.
Following the literal translation of the word bonsai (bon=pot; sai=planting) it is "tray planting" or "planted in tray/pot" .
It does not become a "Bonsai" until both the tree and the pot are harmoniously combined.
The Japanese decide about the pot (all its characteristics and qualities) and include the pot into their design of their bonsai to be from the very beginning.
Yikes....

You guys do understand that many high end Japanese trees have been passed down or sold to many generations of artisans before a pot is chosen. A tree may be fifty years old and the original grower dead for ten before the tree ever sees a pot. Plus, if its a really , really good tree it is grown in a pot for 363 days and fitted with an antique pot that is rented for the exhibit for probably 200,000 yen, and then taken out on Monday and back into it's 20,000 yen pot.

plus...someone posted a antique book here a few weeks ago with some pictures of trees from a hundred years ago. Many made comments about the funny pots with the funny tall legs. Thats because a hundred years ago there were not a lot of bonsai pots and many of the so called pots we see are actually incense burners... or.... basicly Japanese ashtrays!

willw86

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Did you read post #2 before you asked a silly question about post #21????

or...

Do you just look for the sarcasm in threads and call that out?

...cause if you read post #2 first...post #21 is self explanatory correct?
I did read your first post. It was vague. The OP asked about how we would choose a pot. I explained my basic grasp on the concept, making it clear that I'm not an expert. I said "in my opinion" because it's subjective. So no, Post #21 is not self-explanatory. I'm sorry if you felt called out. That was not my intention. I'm here to humbly learn. So if my answer was misguided or flat out wrong, I would like to know why so that I can improve.

edit: punctuation error

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I did read your first post. It was vague. The OP asked about how we would choose a pot. I explained my basic grasp on the concept, making it clear that I'm not an expert. I said "in my opinion" because it's subjective. So no, Post #21 is not self-explanatory. I'm sorry if you felt called out. That was not my intention. I'm here to humbly learn. So if my answer was misguided or flat out wrong, I would like to know why so that I can improve.

edit: punctuation error

I will take the time.

"in my opinion" because it's subjective.

That is exactly correct. It is subjective. Only post #2 is not. It asks a question, and makes a statement. It is not subjective.

1. Do you really care what we think. I'm not being flip. It is an important question.
2. Do what pleases you.

Now question #1 means do you really care what the forum thinks. Meaning that if you post your tree with a pot you like and everyone tells you it's wrong, are you going to rip the tree out and do what everyone else thinks. The smart thing to do would find out who has a lot of experience at potting trees, showing trees, and making wise decisions and just sending that person a PM and ask what they think would be the right pot for the tree. Hoping like hell you can find that pot or one very much like it, or your going to have to settle for statement #2 just putting it in whats available to you, your price range and suitability of the pot for the tree.

Now my take.....There are about 20 people on any given day that will come here and give you the condensed version of Bonsai Basics 101 on how to choose a pot. Hell, you can google search "choosing a bonsai pot" and probably find twenty articles. What no one can tell you is the perfect pot, why? Because its subjective and we/you/I have already covered that. Sure I can type ten paragraphs, (and I have numerous times over the last 25 years on forums) on pot picking 101 and give someone the basics. Big deal, thats like saying "when looking for a car, make sure it has doors, wheels and a motor".

There are all kinds of things that go into choosing a pot for a tree. Things like bark color, flower color, fall color, berry color, Spring leaf color. Shape of trunk, length of trunk, size of trunk, power of trunk, shari and jins on trunk. Size of canopy, shape of canopy, movement of canopy. All sorts of things.

Thats all for one tree, one choice. Next!

So in the end, after all the considerations have been made, the subject matter read a thousand times, the owner of the tree will make a decision and purchase a pot for his/her tree. It will be a decision that pleases them (option # 2 of post #2). Then they will post the tree here for the ohhh and ahh's. What they will get is a hundred different opinions (like yours and the twenty that come here every day with an opinion, subjective) on why its not the correct pot. (option #1 of post #2)

I just tried to save myself (post#2) from writing all this jibberish to explain myself. Just buy a pot you like and forget it OK. Consensus rarely happens here.

Al out

Last edited:

willw86

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I will take the time.

That is exactly correct. It is subjective. Only post #2 is not. It asks a question, and makes a statement. It is not subjective.

1. Do you really care what we think. I'm not being flip. It is an important question.
2. Do what pleases you.

Now question #1 means do you really care what the forum thinks. Meaning that if you post your tree with a pot you like and everyone tells you it's wrong, are you going to rip the tree out and do what everyone else thinks. The smart thing to do would find out who has a lot of experience at potting trees, showing trees, and making wise decisions and just sending that person a PM and ask what they think would be the right pot for the tree. Hoping like hell you can find that pot or one very much like it, or your going to have to settle for statement #2 just putting it in whats available to you, your price range and suitability of the pot for the tree.

Now my take.....There are about 20 people on any given day that will come here and give you the condensed version of Bonsai Basics 101 on how to choose a pot. Hell, you can google search "choosing a bonsai pot" and probably find twenty articles. What no one can tell you is the perfect pot, why? Because its subjective and we/you/I have already covered that. Sure I can type ten paragraphs, (and I have numerous times over the last 25 years on forums) on pot picking 101 and give someone the basics. Big deal, thats like saying "when looking for a car, make sure it has doors, wheels and a motor".

There are all kinds of things that go into choosing a pot for a tree. Things like bark color, flower color, fall color, berry color, Spring leaf color. Shape of trunk, length of trunk, size of trunk, power of trunk, shari and jins on trunk. Size of canopy, shape of canopy, movement of canopy. All sorts of things.

Thats all for one tree, one choice. Next!

So in the end, after all the considerations have been made, the subject matter read a thousand times, the owner of the tree will make a decision and purchase a pot for his/her tree. It will be a decision that pleases them (option # 2 of post #2). Then they will post the tree here for the ohhh and ahh's. What they will get is a hundred different opinions (like yours and the twenty that come here every day with an opinion, subjective) on why its not the correct pot. (option #1 of post #2)

I just tried to save myself (post#2) from writing all this jibberish to explain myself. Just buy a pot you like and forget it OK. Consensus rarely happens here.

Al out
Fair enough. Thanks for taking the time.

willw86

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Start at post 60 for some of my trees. You can see some of my work. I take pot selection very seriously.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/new-term-for-american-bonsai.35605/page-3
That thread was a fun read. People sure are passionate. You have some nice trees there.

Anyway, if you have the time, would you walk us through the selection of this pairing? No criticism here; I'm genuinely curious. I think I like the combination after looking at it for a minute, but it gave me a furrowed brow at first. What is the species? Why not go for a pot with straighter sides? Why unglazed? Why not a slightly larger pot allowing you to plant the tree lower?
bananaman.JPG

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
That thread was a fun read. People sure are passionate. You have some nice trees there.

Anyway, if you have the time, would you walk us through the selection of this pairing? No criticism here; I'm genuinely curious. I think I like the combination after looking at it for a minute, but it gave me a furrowed brow at first. What is the species? Why not go for a pot with straighter sides? Why unglazed? Why not a slightly larger pot allowing you to plant the tree lower?
View attachment 216908
I used to be Smoke....

Check here
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/intelligent-conversation-of-the-literati.25785/

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/what-did-you-do-today.17821/#post-239776

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yikes....

You guys do understand that many high end Japanese trees have been passed down or sold to many generations of artisans before a pot is chosen. A tree may be fifty years old and the original grower dead for ten before the tree ever sees a pot. Plus, if its a really , really good tree it is grown in a pot for 363 days and fitted with an antique pot that is rented for the exhibit for probably 200,000 yen, and then taken out on Monday and back into it's 20,000 yen pot.

plus...someone posted a antique book here a few weeks ago with some pictures of trees from a hundred years ago. Many made comments about the funny pots with the funny tall legs. Thats because a hundred years ago there were not a lot of bonsai pots and many of the so called pots we see are actually incense burners... or.... basicly Japanese ashtrays!
Several of my trees have “show pots”, and “everyday” pots.

And then, it’s sometimes fun to change pots for no other reason than because it’s fun to change pots! The tree may have an entirely different look with a simple pot change.

One way I’ve done it is to have several possible pots available to choose from. Prepare the root ball, and set the tree in a pot, take a picture. Take a picture of the tree in each pot, then compare.

The end result is the final pairing should harmonize. So, the “rules” others have given are ways to guide your thinking. But, as Smoke says, do what you like. That said, one additional “guideline” is to pair an old tree with an old pot. Putting an old tree in a pot that looks new breaks the “harmony”.

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
The term Sifu is the title of a master teacher, thus the protest. See; you do stuff contrary to the flow you get push back.
Sifu is just a nick name (i know what it means on Chinese). I am certainly not a bonsai master teacher lol. But hey, maybe i have been master teaching some other stuff! Maybe i can teach some of you guys, how not to take things to serious? Joking aside, I picked up this name with a touch of humor. Anyway, i've joined this form, to learn something in first place.

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Sifu ,

two points -

[a] I call Adair Martin - Sifu - as I respect his ability with J.B.pines
to make sure there is no confusion.

Would also like to see some of your efforts.
[ the bit on repotting and no ties, is also done down here.]
Would like to see how you do it.
Good Day
Anthony

Last edited:
Top Bottom