How do you pair a Bonsai with a container?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven’t read any of the replies so far, but I’ll get to that later
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rules.htm
EC33F20A-4AB2-49FD-8C3F-F0E0D2F64EF4.png
There’s a little segment here about pots. The style of your pot should match the style of your tree, same as the shape. Masculine trees get rectangular pots, feminine trees get round or oval pots. If your trunk diameter is 1/12 of the height of the tree, it’s feminine, masculine trees are 1:6 the height.
Glazed vs unglazed also has their own rules, I’m sure you can look it up.
Colour is also a big deal, lights and darks etc. Don’t ask me, I can’t even match my own clothes.

If all else fails, google your tree, punch images, match up a style similar to yours and then see what pot it’s in.

And then, ultimately, decide wether your gonna do the same or nah.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven’t read any of the replies so far, but I’ll get to that later
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rules.htm
View attachment 216929
There’s a little segment here about pots. The style of your pot should match the style of your tree, same as the shape. Masculine trees get rectangular pots, feminine trees get round or oval pots. If your trunk diameter is 1/12 of the height of the tree, it’s feminine, masculine trees are 1:6 the height.
Glazed vs unglazed also has their own rules, I’m sure you can look it up.
Colour is also a big deal, lights and darks etc. Don’t ask me, I can’t even match my own clothes.

If all else fails, google your tree, punch images, match up a style similar to yours and then see what pot it’s in.

And then, ultimately, decide wether your gonna do the same or nah.

That rule number 1 is wrong! Trees should be on the center line (front to back) of the pot. This gives the roots equal volume on both sides. Yes, in rectangular and oval pots trees should be planted “just off center” side to side, with the key branch over the side that has more soil. Trees should be planted in the center when using round pots.

The reason is horticultural. As much as possible, give all the roots room to grow. Potting on one side or the other weakens the short side roots.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Adair M hey I don’t even follow this, I plant my Shito s in Chinese teacups, my mames in beer cans and my shohins in coconuts :p

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M hey I don’t even follow this, I plant my Shito s in Chinese teacups, my mames in beer cans and my shohins in coconuts :p
Then why did you post it?

Here’s the thing... in the past, bonsai information has largely been hit and miss. Some good, some bad. Most of the stuff that keeps getting repeated is from old books, books that are now out-dated.

So, a forum like this should contain current information from those actively involved with bonsai.

I know you were trying to be helpful, but that info from Brent is outdated. And apparently, you aren’t even using it yourself!

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
You can expect more detailed photos + some more trees next fall, after first styling ...
I can also change my avatar name, if that bothers you so much, guys, and replace it with my real name. Can't find an option to do so btw.

With best regards,
Igor. T. Ljubek

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can expect more detailed photos + some more trees next fall, after first styling ...
I can also change my avatar name, if that bothers you so much, guys, and replace it with my real name. Can't find an option to do so btw.

With best regards,
Igor. T. Ljubek
You have some nice trunks there, with some very good potential. I don’t care what you call yourself, but, as Adair is also stating, We don’t need to dilute good teaching with bad.

It is good teaching to wire trees into Bonsai pots. Period. It is bad teaching to suggest it isn’t necessary. Period.

You back it up by showing us some nice trunks, none of which are in Bonsai pots. See the problem? Let me help you. When you get these trunks to the point where they are ready for a Bonsai pot, securely wire them in. Here is how:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/preparing-a-pot-draft/

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
What scares me more is the huge stack of covered firewood that will be polluting the world!!!o_Oo_O:eek::eek::p

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If i need to wire a bonsai into a pot, then that kind of pot is too small for my taste. Simple as that. Securing a bonsai with wire doesn't suit my personality :cool: But that's just me.
Every time I hear someone yelling, “I don’t care about the rules! Rules don’t apply to me! I am an artist!” I am reminded of my toddler :rolleyes:

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
It is good teaching to wire trees into Bonsai pots. Period. It is bad teaching to suggest it isn’t necessary. Period.
Sorry, my bad, I didn't mean to teach anyone. Sure, i completely agree with you, IF we are talking about shallow classical bonsai pots. But with deeper pots (that's what i like for my bonsai trees, not only for cascade ones) that seems almost impossible: how do you wire a tree into something like this:
1541868418247.jpg
or this:
1541868508813.jpg?
These 2 are not bonsai from my collection btw. Pot on the second picture is something i prefer for my bonsai trees ... I just can't help my self: i like bigger pots, hate me for my "ignorance", if you want ;)

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
Every time I hear someone yelling, “I don’t care about the rules! Rules don’t apply to me! I am an artist!” I am reminded of my toddler :rolleyes:
I am yelling?
I don't care about the rules?
What rules?
Are you sure you've quoted the right person?

It looks like i should move away from this thread. I am not a conflict person.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry, my bad, I didn't mean to teach anyone. Sure, i completely agree with you, IF we are talking about shallow classical bonsai pots. But with deeper pots (that's what i like for my bonsai trees, not only for cascade ones) that seems almost impossible: how do you wire a tree into something like this:

or this:

These 2 are not bonsai from my collection btw. Pot on the second picture is something i prefer for my bonsai trees ... I just can't help my self: i like bigger pots, hate me for my "ignorance", if you want ;)
Exactly the same way, just with longer wires. It’s just as important to secure trees that are cascading like these.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure, if this is the right place, but ok, why not. Keep in mind that these are all pre-bonsai trees from very bad amateur photographer :):

View attachment 216932

View attachment 216933

View attachment 216934

View attachment 216935

View attachment 216936

View attachment 216937

View attachment 216938

View attachment 216939

View attachment 216940
Nice trunks, some interesting movement and nebaris...
In this phase, in these deep pots and in that heavy field soil you're probably right saying no need to wire them down. But once you start using shallow bonsai pots and bonsai soil you won't be happy if your trees are not secured in pots, believe me.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am yelling?
I don't care about the rules?
What rules?
Are you sure you've quoted the right person?

It looks like i should move away from this thread. I am not a conflict person.
Yet, you want me out of the thread... like my toddler, cant face criticism ???

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 216974
or this:
View attachment 216975?
Actually, the deep cascade pots aren’t used much any more. Instead, cascade trees are potted in pots that are only about as deep as they are wide. Why? Because it’s impossible to have consistent root quality in the tall cascade pots. The top can be wet, but the soil in the bottom of the pot is dry. Or vice versa. And, if the tree gets potbound, it’s really, really hard to get the tree out of the pot.

So, cascade tree are potted in shallower pots, then elevated on a stand.

Some examples:

3D1FB6E2-AB9F-4FD1-911D-C29A0ADB2FA7.jpeg89917A77-92A6-4C61-AC2F-168B6DD7B436.jpegE6C44D45-38D9-448E-A56D-D0396171E47F.jpeg

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the feed back and direction. It's exciting to dive into this discussion.

Top Bottom