How do you remove your wire?

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Funny, I was looking this exact subject up earlier. Seems like such a waste of to just cut it off after a few months of use. Anybody invented a home smelting / extrusion machine yet?
Let's approach Ron PoPeil about a Wire-O-Matic product.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then how do I get my return on investment from my expensive wire cutters?

I use my wire cutters to cut off fully wired dead branches, cuz if you don't kill branches with wire, you can't know the point of great success.

The point of great success is the balance between horticulture and design.

Sorce

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use my wire cutters to cut off fully wired dead branches, cuz if you don't kill branches with wire, you can't know the point of great success.

The point of great success is the balance between horticulture and design.

Sorce
And a good nature!

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anybody invented a home smelting / extrusion machine yet?
Sort of. I have this box under my desk. I feed it money by way of my credit card and it somehow converts that into wire that appears on my front porch a few days later. I am still trying to figure out if it is some sort of reverse alchemy or magic.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I use copper most of the time. I have access to copper an it usually does a better job with smaller gauge wire.
I usually unwind wires so I can reuse the wire. I don't like to waste resources. Sometimes cutting is the only option. Unwinding wire from really twisted small trees is very difficult so cutting is the best option. Cut pieces and smaller lengths go into a container for recyling when there's enough. Just another one of my contributions to helping the world's resources go a little further.
Used copper wire is work hardened. It is very difficult to work with and tends to bend in angles rather than neat curves. Anneal copper to make it soft and it is often better than new. Thicker copper is difficult to straighten. If the wire doesn't straighten properly i anneal it first to soften, then straighten it and anneal again to make sure it is properly soft. There are several good threads discussing annealing wires.

Wires should NOT be left to mark the tree. It is not necessary to leave wires on most species that long. Young shoots will be set in place in just a few weeks. If Source likes wire marks on his trees that's up to him but it is not necessary, or IMHO desirable, to have wire marks. Leave the wires as long as possible by all means but monitor closely and remove wire as soon as any part starts to make an impression on the bark. For those few species where that's not long enough rewire with fresh wire and give it some more time.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Sort of. I have this box under my desk. I feed it money by way of my credit card and it somehow converts that into wire that appears on my front porch a few days later. I am still trying to figure out if it is some sort of reverse alchemy or magic.
So that works by means of conveyor belt from under desk machine to doorstep? Input wire clippings and credit card details then fresh coils just appear? Where can I get one?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol, this topic always gets Smoke fired up!!!

I’m supposing this came up because of my mentioning it on that other thread.

I unwind my copper, and sell it to a recycler. I can easily unwind gauges 12 and smaller. Sometimes I can unwind 10. But 10 and larger, I cut off..

Here’s my current box of used copper:

C5C63E19-298C-407A-A3D5-B08FC856EAE2.jpeg

It’s a combination of wire I’ve removed from trees and the little pieces I’ve cut off after applying it.

That JWP took a whole spool of gauge 16, plus a whole bunch of other gauge wire:

07153874-FAED-4F2F-8610-5693744A5800.jpeg

I’m currently removing all the wire off this one:

7C4D0403-59AB-435F-9A51-2938527F81DE.jpeg

I thought about just adding a few pieces here and there, but the more I looked. The more “here’s and there’s” there were! Probably easier to just rewrite it!

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve had a similar magical experience recently. Some nice people came to my house, went down to the basement, and in less than one day they turned ten thousand idle dollars into a shiny new boiler.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too much trouble. I hold the tree behind my dog's ass and let him fart on it. Melts the wire right off. Also works for summer defoliation and clearing up clogged sinuses.
Wow. Need one of those. Which breed?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have had real good results of placing the pot in a table vice, then hold the wire close to the trees apex. Then, In one quick jerking motion pull the wire from the tree.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thats because it's a dumb topic and personal. It's one of those things you just do in the privacy of your backyard and no one needs to know about or cares. Just do whats best for you. It's always an argument in the making, and frankly so much of a non issue.
The perfect response 🙏

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol, this topic always gets Smoke fired up!!!

Haha, I thought it was innocent enough.
Youre right in that the topic came from reading your other post Now you guys have a one stop shop for my bonsai efforts.

That JWP took a whole spool of gauge 16, plus a whole bunch of other gauge wire:

Beautiful wiring in this pic. Ive definitely been trying to apply principals youve talked about in other posts to my wiring.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The perfect response 🙏
Well..., there are valid reason to unwind rather than cut. If the wire has cut in, and it is embedded into to branch, to cut it would require cutting into the branch tissue to cut all the way thru the wire. This causes even more damage. Also, if when you are cutting wire with the blunt nosed wire cutters, If you don’t cut at a perpendicular angle, the wire will twist a bit as you cut it. Again, this will cause more damage as the embedded wire pushes against the sides of the groove it’s in.

Unspinning, on the other hand, lifts the wire directly upwards out of the groove, minimizing damage. You will also remove all the wire, not possibly leaving a chunk of wire in a crotch if a branch. I have found shards of wire in the crotches of clients trees. And, once you get the hang of it, it’s faster. Plus, there’s less chance of accidentally cutting completely through a branch while trying to cut they an itty bitty wire.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha, I thought it was innocent enough.
Youre right in that the topic came from reading your other post Now you guys have a one stop shop for my bonsai efforts.

Beautiful wiring in this pic. Ive definitely been trying to apply principals youve talked about in other posts to my wiring.
Knowing how to wire is an essential skill for pines and junipers.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Part of the reason Boon teaches to unwind wire is the the “muscle memory” you get. Unwiring us similar to wiring. You learn to hold the branch back one turn back while your working hand works the wire. Much the same way Mr Miagi trained Danel-San. Painting the fence and waxing the floor...

Top Bottom