How do you secure your rocks in your pots?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The epoxy I prefer is called " Oatey Fix It Stick" all purpose putty!View attachment 434593
The 2 part putty you work together to make a epoxy along with another product . JB weld are both old school stood the test of time . Originally for use with metal . Both are go to products in motor sports racing where only the best will survive . The putty is sold under multiple brands can be formed into shapes and is very good at bonding dissimilar things together . JB is a 2 part cream originally to repair metal metal parts heavily duplicated . But nothing beats the original cures to a rock hard consistency that is strong enough to drill and tap threads into for a bolt . Like I said old school
Stood the test of time trusted in very demanding situations

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The 2 part putty you work together to make a epoxy along with another product . JB weld are both old school stood the test of time . Originally for use with metal . Both are go to products in motor sports racing where only the best will survive . The putty is sold under multiple brands can be formed into shapes and is very good at bonding dissimilar things together . JB is a 2 part cream originally to repair metal metal parts heavily duplicated . But nothing beats the original cures to a rock hard consistency that is strong enough to drill and tap threads into for a bolt . Like I said old school
Stood the test of time trusted in very demanding situations
Guess that explains why I believed my sensei when he taught me the process. Old school and auto sports are part of my past. Built this 240Z with LT1 V8, Richmond six speed and a few other mods.

Attachments

• as1 003.jpg
    as1 003.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 13

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guess that explains why I believed my sensei when he taught me the process. Old school and auto sports are part of my past. Built this 240Z with LT1 V8, Richmond six speed and a few other mods.
Very nice car really like the stock look to the body . Under used model . Fairly rare in the salt rusted east . My own journey was hot rods . Then stock car racing as co owner/crew chief/engine builder then snowmobile drag racing . Had a extended childhood 😂😂. The putty epoxy you use has been used for example to modify the interior of induction systems for example

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice car really like the stock look to the body . Under used model . Fairly rare in the salt rusted east . My own journey was hot rods . Then stock car racing as co owner/crew chief/engine builder then snowmobile drag racing . Had a extended childhood 😂😂. The putty epoxy you use has been used for example to modify the interior of induction systems for example
The JB Weld is actually easier to use in some applications because of the flowability as you pointed out. The only disadvantage is the working time can be shorter. Takes a little experience to adjust the two parts.
For Bonsai either type is excellent for attaching wires and the Oatey is very effective for filling cavities and inducing callus to grow over. I have used it very effectively in this manner helping to heal larger scars over previously carved sections. typically due to infected or rotted portions in the trunk or larger branches.
Int he picture below I used it to fill the drilled portion of the apex when creating a more tapered look to a shortened trunk.
I drilled the core out approximately 3 1/2 inches down the centre, sliced the sides in V shape to bring back together and wire up a small side branch to create a new apical leader on top of the shortened trunk. Ezo spruce. The initial process was in 2015, the pictures show partial progress in 2018 and the most recent photo of 2021. The Oatey product worked very well in this instance, it was used to fill the cavity and produce smooth edges for callus to form over.
IMG_9451.JPGIMG_1504.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the apex modification technique got to try that 👍👍
Was a suggestion from David DeGroot based on a technique he observed in Japan. I thought it turned out pretty well for my first attempt. if I do another I would have the confidence to extend the length of the transition to five or six inches.
The tricky part was tapering the centre hole in reverse to form the shape of and ice cream cone with varying drill bits, prior to creating the V cuts and compressing to get everything to meet as close as possible. Then filling the cavity while closing the gaps and securing so it would heal. I made use of small circular clamps to hold while wiring. I also used two screws to finally hold after positioning everything. The screws were taken out and the areas healed over eventually.
it allowed me to reduce the tree considerably and produce a bit of taper at the apex. I would recommend it based on my limited experience.

Top Bottom