How do you stop and prevent needle cast

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Poor trees.

You might as well go full ham and destroy the entire wordly mycorrhiza network.

Because the trees are planning their defense.

Go trees, Humanicide!

Sorce
It depends upon the fungicide.

when I repot, I find lots of mychorrazzae in the soil.

I have, in the past, had trees die due to needlecast.

Sorce, since you don’t work with JBP, you shouldn’t be advising others on how to manage them.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I currently have a mugo pine and two black pines the second one I just bought and they all seem to have a touch of needle cast how do you prevent this what can I do. And they are all outside. Being outside seems to have helped but I still see signs of it also on my bald cypress and my giant sequioa any help would be appreciated thanks
You say keeping them outside seems to have helped . Does that mean you previously kept them indoors? If so its no wonder your pines have had issues with disease like symptoms! Can you post photos so we can see what the actual symptoms are before everyone jumps to conclusions and tries to prescribe you all kinds of wonder- cures!!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Nope, but since winter is knocking at the door I might have a go at small scale production of spores so that everyone can enjoy it.
Is 2-3 euros per 1.5L of spraying solution too much to ask? That's 12 euros a year for full coverage of 40-100 trees. I'm terrible at these kind of estimates.

If you produce some and can send it internationally (UK) I would most likely buy some.
For reference on the pricing, this might be worth a look if you don't already know of it - different product but also small-batch production. https://www.probiocarbon.ie/shop-all-products?store-page=Danu-p217399241

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you produce some and can send it internationally (UK) I would most likely buy some.
For reference on the pricing, this might be worth a look if you don't already know of it - different product but also small-batch production. https://www.probiocarbon.ie/shop-all-products?store-page=Danu-p217399241
I can always ship it as a free sample and see if we can get it through customs. If you're willing to cover the costs of mailing.
I'm just scoping right now to see if it's economically viable for me to start reproducing spores and on what scale.
Not sure yet if it's worth all of the work and materials. The culturing is a breeze, the storage, handling and packaging are going to be my main concern. Time for a good brainstorm!
But knowing these guys charge 20 euros for a single application makes me think I should stick with the 3-4 euros for a final product.

Thanks for the link and the interest! I appreciate it.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You say keeping them outside seems to have helped . Does that mean you previously kept them indoors? If so its no wonder your pines have had issues with disease like symptoms! Can you post photos so we can see what the actual symptoms are before everyone jumps to conclusions and tries to prescribe you all kinds of wonder- cures!!
You’re absolutely right. I thought the same thing yesterday when I read that part
about keeping them outdoors now, and wandered if the BC are being kept indoors.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I moved all my deciduous outside, I have a few tropicals that seem to do good indoors. I have my balcony full of my deciduous trees now. They are all looking greener and better! I also took off all the cast and does not appear to be any more thank God!!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I also took off all the cast and does not appear to be any more thank God!!
This is incorrect. It is still in the tissues of the plant, it is airborne, it WILL manifest itself worse each year if not treated
systemically and proactively. Still ...no pics
Can you post photos so we can see what the actual symptoms are before everyone jumps to conclusions and tries to prescribe you all kinds of wonder- cures!!
This is great advice, but all replies prior, were based on assuming you knew what you were dealing with.
Pines inside beg to differ with that assumption.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@roberthu its not the same chemical. Infuse liquid is propiconazole. The chemical name for the infuse granular product is Thiophanate methyl, sometimes Thiomyl, and the same ingredient as in Cleary 3336.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
@roberthu its not the same chemical. Infuse liquid is propiconazole. The chemical name for the infuse granular product is Thiophanate methyl, sometimes Thiomyl, and the same ingredient as in Cleary 3336.
Got it. Thanks so much!

Top Bottom