How do you winterize your trees?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I gather them all in an area with large conifers serving as a windbreak. Then I sprinkle on vole chaser and cover the pots with leaves. Once a month I add some water unless it has been a wet month.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
haha i get that mate. but your wild trees are doing just fine in those temps. thats why i asked you about trees in large wooden boxes, are they at danger of freezing the same way the ones in a bonsai pot would. surely there is some sort of cut off or leeway. i just think some of it is a bit OTT but as you say ive not really experienced this for myself, although i lived in Calgary,canada for 6 years in my teens, i know how cold it gets there. minus 30 or more with the wind chill. it seems like some are just doing it because everyone else is kind of thing and there is also a bit of scare mongering going on. then you get the folks who just use winter as an excuse to hide away their sticks in pots.

Seems like you're in a mood today! That "wild" tree in the landscape has an enormous root system that is protected by soil (and residual ground heat) and snow cover. Take that same tree, put it into a tiny pot and leave it exposed on a bench all winter? No thanks, not worth the risk to me! Others may do as they wish.

Even the hardiest conifers I have (ponderosa pine, spruce, cedar), I wouldn't risk leaving out on a bench all winter. If I could safeguard against vermin with 100% certainty, I might leave them outside under mulch or heeled into the soil but I have a system that has worked well for about 8 years now, through both extremely warm and extremely cold winters - so I'll stick with that ;)

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is my winter tree shelter (on the north side of the house). The wind barrier is burlap stapled to some hardwood stakes. This is my first year using the burlap windbreak. I used a wall of straw bales as the windbreak in previous years, which worked well for that purpose but left me with a bunch of straw bales that I have no other use for and that start to decompose after a while. I’m hoping that the burlap and stakes solution will be reusable. Everything is tucked in a bed of cypress mulch.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
After forgetting my trees outside with -15°C and no loss (even with recently collected material), I figured to stop worrying.

I'm not buying or collecting material that wouldn't survive our winters to begin with. So whatever dies, was meant to die.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
chinese elms can withstand low temps of -6 celsius if it drops lower they need protection. most of our native deciduous trees can withstand much lower temps than that and conifers even more.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i get that part. but it seems to me that its the norm everywhere else but not where i am. thats kind of what im getting at. some are just jumping on the wagon for the sake of it.
a few have valid reason and a few really dont.

its not just here though, ive been on UK forums where for some folks, even in the south of england where i am everything shuts down. they talk about wintering and locking everything away, no work being done etc we rarely even get any snow here and folks are going on about protecting deciduous trees, which are a lot tougher than some think. as i say, for many winter is just an excuse to do nothing with their trees and show nothing.
Because I have a good place to overwinter my trees, I do not only have a place to work them in the winter, but they won't suffer damage because I work on them in the winter.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Because I have a good place to overwinter my trees, I do not only have a place to work them in the winter, but they won't suffer damage because I work on them in the winter.

ive seen your winter set up Judy, its more akin to another display area;)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea,fine twigs do not do well exposed below freezing in wind
I do like a lite freeze in a cold frame like 29f
31f. No watering!

if I had walk in options I would definately keep only slightly above freeze.That way I could enjoy observing and watering with no freeze refreeze cycles.Someday I will have this when funds allow.
It would definately be my Winter hangout

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
another wintering bonsai thread😊

i saw this on Jennifer price's FB page, she is in chicago, hardy trees remain on benches
View attachment 270340

makes me wonder why everyone on Bnut locks everything away, smiled when i saw this.
It's too cold in winter here to leave trees on benches.
I tried it with a couple of Siberian elms once just to see.
Good thing they were disposable trees.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my garage I get to see my trees every day, look at them up close and plan for next year. Outside you just forget them.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think that for beginners, the prospect of the harshness of winter is the most terrifying part of bonsai, hence so many threads and questions and attempts to protect trees.

For me, I was looking up the best wintering methods for this year before last year's winter was even over, then all through summer, and now into fall. The lack of any visible signs of life for trees weve spent so much time taking care of is extremely uncomfortable. Idk if other novices feel the same way as me but i was never actually afraid of things like overwatering, wrong soil, wiring, cutting off too much roots, etc. Winter though... a seasin of pure unyielding terror.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that for beginners, the prospect of the harshness of winter is the most terrifying part of bonsai, hence so many threads and questions and attempts to protect trees.

Overwintering seems to be a bit like soil, in that these things are vitally important to bonsai, but also include a lot of variables. That combination is bound to spawn discussion. At least with soil, beginners can just buy some pre-made mix and not go too far wrong.

You're right that overwintering is scary because the things that will kill or harm trees can't really be seen: cold, wind, vermin, etc. AND overwintering is incredibly location- and species-dependent.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Overwintering seems to be a bit like soil, in that these things are vitally important to bonsai, but also include a lot of variables. That combination is bound to spawn discussion. At least with soil, beginners can just buy some pre-made mix and not go too far wrong.

You're right that overwintering is scary because the things that will kill or harm trees can't really be seen: cold, wind, vermin, etc. AND overwintering is incredibly location- and species-dependent.
And also age and vigor dependent. You can't treat a very old tree like a young one with the same results.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And also age and vigor dependent. You can't treat a very old tree like a young one with the same results.
Important point, as well as the container size. Some of our oldest trees with the most development are in the smallest pots, least amount of protection. Smaller container change temperature rapidly in weather changes, also not a great feature.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First of all, a good rule of thumb is that you lose a zone when you put a tree into a pot. So that native tree hardy to your zone 6 is now only hardy to zone 7. And it gets worse if you have a small pot or a lot of refinement. Certain species are more susceptible, too. American beeches tend to lose their hardiness when put into a pot.

My first year in bonsai I thought I'd just stick my trees on the ground out of the wiind with some leaves to help insulate and all would be well. I lost 8. The next year I put the less hardy ones into my root cellar and mulched in the rest. I lost zero.

You can also let your toddler roam the neighborhood and let nature take it's course, or you can be a little more protective and improve the odds of survival a bit.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dude. For real.

(also, great title for your next death metal track)

My wife thinks its "so cute" how much I have been worrying about my trees. My first winter and I don't want to lose any of my lil buddies!

I checked metal archives to see if anyone had used this as a song... nope!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
^ This is the "cave" I put mine in. Will wait till December some time.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I’ve been wintering my trees this way for 4 years now with not one loss yet. Before these boxes I was having major losses do to voles. I have 4 boxes like the ones I have pictures of here, they are built with 1/4” hardware cloth on all six sides and double wrapped in crucial spots. I also mulch the trees in fully. Even Jap Maples that are less hardy here do totally fine.

only negative is the trees can’t be touched until late into the spring because the mulch freezes solid.
View attachment 270337View attachment 270338
Yup, you be smart. Same for me, the vole would decimate everything eventually, that and that odd years where it approaches 50 below--in the years before my storage crypt of doom some precious irreplaceable trees perished from deep cold and I will not forgive myself.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yeh the only threats i get from animals here is pesky squirrels trying to hide acorns in my pots😊
I had that problem when I moved up here to where i live now from Atlanta, I started putting rocks in my pots and squirrels left my trees alone

Top Bottom