How does Deadwood form?

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
Juniper bonsai are renowned for their intricate deadwood features, with a “live vein” being the part of the tree still alive. How does deadwood form in nature? I imagine age, stress, root damage, etc all contribute. Is it possible for a bonsai to developer new deadwood?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Branches break in nature. Too much shade can kill a branch, animals, trees just get old and limbs die off.
In bonsai you just grow out a branch in the spot you want and then kill it. Cut the secondary branches off or leave them and just strip the bark/cambium layer. Now it’s dead. Brush with lime sulfur to make it pop white.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Deadwood is what happens when branches and trunks made of dense sap filled wood die and are then “weathered” by the elements… sun, wind, cold all go to dry, carve and preserve what remains…
When I acquired this tree over 15 years ago, it had 3 life lines and a lot of deadwood. Now it has only two life lines… but more deadwood 😉.
2ACABE15-207C-4F26-B1B8-51296AA7FED5.jpeg

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
Deadwood is what happens when branches and trunks made of dense sap filled wood die and are then “weathered” by the elements… sun, wind, cold all go to dry, carve and preserve what remains…
When I acquired this tree over 15 years ago, it had 3 life lines and a lot of deadwood. Now it has only two life lines… but more deadwood 😉.
View attachment 430523
Did you purposefully kill off the third life line, or did it just die?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
We can form new dead wood by stripping bark. Only the outer layers of a tree are alive so stripping bark off kills that section.
Entire branches can be stripped or just one side of a branch or trunk.
Where live bark remains stays alive provided it has connection to roots below and foliage above.
Knowing how the tree's circulation system works will help design and implement new dead wood features.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it pays to know how a tree grows and actually forms deadwood as a part of the yearly process.

I appreciate these answers but it could be a wee confusing.

You gotta understand what is actually happening in order to best know how to use it artistically.

These differences should be defined and remain.... F.E.R.T.!

Formed. Only Nature
Exposed. You or Nature.
Rotted. You or Nature.
Treated. Only You.

Sorce

Top Bottom