How does Niwaki (garden trees) take to deadwood techniques?

Reaction score
Minnesota/Bay Area (depending on time of year)
USDA Zone
Would deadwood be advisable with certain trees (like some pines or spruces) if they're going to be garden trees? I've seen mammoth bonsai with beautiful deadwood. I wonder if it's possible to do the same for trees in the ground... Maybe it's a bad idea because of the risk of further dieback and disease? Or well, maybe not the microbial dangers but the pesky rodents too...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Actually good question, I don’t see why not.... yet maintenance would be commensurately time intensive. I’ve lime sulfered an entire dead tree for a bonsai exhibit and it decidedly ate up a lot of time! ... and thats just a small tree....

ACCF3DB8-E97C-4A8E-9EC8-A761F5B54B2A.jpeg

It would be really cool to see if you actually tried it though!

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:
Reaction score
Minnesota/Bay Area (depending on time of year)
USDA Zone
Actually good question, I don’t see why not.... yet maintenance would be commensurately time intensive. I’ve lime sulfered an entire dead tree for a bonsai exhibit and it decidedly ate up a lot of time! ... and thats just a small tree....

View attachment 374278

cheers
DSD sends
I'll update with pictures in good time!

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
Likewise, i dont see why it would be much of an issue, though after a few trips to Japan over the years i cant recall seeing too many niwaki pines with much in the way of deadwood beyond the odd branch stub here and there.

Going through my photos i think this is the only one i spotted on my last trip, its a red pine (i think) at Kokoen garden in Himeiji
Hopefully its of some help or interest :)

20191124_121221.jpg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have no niwaki, but do have several large dead junipers displayed as sculpture in my landscape. One is at least 20 years old and has held up well with no treatment at all. The only thing I do is elevate the dead wood enough so that it is not in direct contact with the soil.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

View attachment 374278

cheers
DSD sends
Oh, I just saw that one on Mirai's video. Lovely tree. Lovely video.

Top Bottom