How Does one Become a Bonsai Authority?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the white pine thread Chris V. had mentioned that the only way to increase size was thru height. Dario disagreed. He said that a lush branch with leaves (needles) will do the same thing. He also mentioned lanky branches being of no use and how lush branches are better.
What does he base this on?

Experience? Over how many years and how many species.

In my experience, over many years, sacrifice branches have been used as the most reliable and fastest method for growing out trunks. Also in my experience, using sacrifice branches, deciduous trees and conifers respond equally as well to this method. As to lanky growth, all professional growers and even non professional growers like me remove all the leaves or needles from the sacrifice branch leaving only the apical growth on the branch to do the work for the next season.
It is increased length (height) that produces more wood in the trunk and this is achieved faster if all the side leaves are removed so that the sacrifice will focus all its energy into elongation rather than branching. Keeping a branch "lush" is not the same thing as unrestricted elongation in a branch when growing wood for a trunk.

When I grew out the three little pigs from one inch to four inches, I did that thru unrestrained growth reaching 10 feet in height before cutting back the following spring.

So on a discussion forum such as this people here have to determine if the things they read here are based on experience, and experience with the species noted, or are they regurgitateing something they read on the latest and greatest blog from Herkimer P. Farquot III.

I still maintain that a good discussion forum should require pictures of past work and success with the species before one opens their mouth. It does no one any good here to just post opinions without substantial backup to ones claims. I think Vance is trying to say that but somehow it is lost in the translation.

Lately I have seen a huge influx of people here new and old asking for the shortest path to making bonsai. I have no problem with that if the person doing the asking is well versed in the basics and is not asking how to do trunk chops when they have not even been doing bonsai long enough to have even gone thru a repotting season yet.

I still feel the best way to learn bonsai its to do bonsai. This means that one will have the money to spend on trees and allow them to be expendable. No one is buying the ten nana junipers and styling them anymore. No one is learning the basics of wireing and how to bend branches with pliers. No one is learning how important the use of wire is and how that simple task is probably the most important task in bonsai there is.

It seems we all just want to skip the basics and get right to the advanced technique, try it and then somehow one is magically transformed into a bonsai authority.

Sorry, it just don't work that way.....

You become an authority when you can explain to someone how to do something and show documentation on how that work resulted for you. How sothing worked over a period of years like soil, pond baskets, growing trunks, building branches and taking a tree from cutting to showable bonsai over a number of years. This is the way it is done in Japan and why it works so well is because the nursery provising the training has great trees and many of them in all stages of production and the ability to see how that works over periods of time. Apprentices are able to compress fifty years of experience into four or five years if done correctly and the teacher is good.

Apprentices in any field of training from guitar and piano to painting and sculpture benefit from the teacher and that persons ability to explain what happens in any given moment in your teaching. The piano teacher will be able to sit beside you and "SHOW" you exactly what practise can do for you. The ability to learn is only governed by ones attitude towards listening.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yeah, but some of us have absolutely no interest in becoming a bonsai "authority." We just want to DO bonsai.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
bonsai authorities, like true bonsai, are developed over the decades of cultivation. They are recognized by their peers, as someone who has demonstrated their knowledge and willingness to share extensively with not necessarily financial reward. It's both a gift and a passion.

Just remember where there's smoke there's fire :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, but some of us have absolutely no interest in becoming a bonsai "authority." We just want to DO bonsai.

Your reading the title wrong Jinx.

Dick Benbow gets it.......

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have also found that some people who have been into bonsai for 20 plus years will not tolerate the advice of someone who has been into it for a shorter time period, but has a far superior ability to learn than the other. I have seen this both on this forum and in clubs. That's everything in life though.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
No one is buying the ten nana junipers and styling them anymore. No one is learning the basics of wireing and how to bend branches with pliers. No one is learning how important the use of wire is and how that simple task is probably the most important task in bonsai there is.

It seems we all just want to skip the basics and get right to the advanced technique, try it and then somehow one is magically transformed into a bonsai authority.

Al, overall, I get what you're saying and agree. But just because you see lots of posts here trying to find the secret, magical short-cuts, doesn't mean that everyone is taking this approach. Plenty of us still have backyards full of experiments & hands-on-learning projects. And plenty of us still know who to listen to about what works for them.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought 8 JPB seedlings to start torturous experiments on. Ordered 7 cherry trees from bill V. I know nothing about cherry trees, but I'm going to learn or kill them. Should be fun educational experience. that is what this hobby is for me. A continuos fun experiment in learning and developing trees. I have trees in every stage of development from seed to just maintenance. I like to learn as much as I can about many many different species. That's why I have so many different kinds of trees. There are hobbiest out there who special in just one or two species. I would be board out of my mind.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
We just want to DO bonsai.

It all depends on what you mean to "DO" bonsai. I've seen plenty of people who are very active and "do" bonsai but their trees never seem to progress and get better from season to season. Many of them buy the same immature stock year after year and their collection of trees never truly improves.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well and to me to "do" bonsai means to not only improve my skills but to also improve my collection of trees.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Airing ones views doesn't make them an authority. It is a discussion and a method may work for some but others may want to try another. Some people only do what they already know, some want to experiment. Interpretation of "common" and "basic" knowledge may also differ since it is passed by word of mouth and changes (it turns into a gossip) and sometimes need to be re-set. You'd be amazed how many interpretations you will get from a dozen people after reading same article. Then so much more after hearing the same lecture. Imagine what happens to the same info after it was passed 10 times. :) What do you think happens if one master uses one of those mis-interpretations? Just imagine.

As you said...knowledge are scattered as "crumbs" and it is up to us to find them. Pick up what we think are useful and ignore what doesn't make sense. That is what most of us do. I do not accept anyone's word as-is. I always question it (that is my nature) and encourage others to do the same. Yes, yours may be mostly correct but don't be offended if some I disagree with.

We have our own filters and as for me...I know lots of you think that anything (and everything) I say is garbage. I don't mind :) but hopefully there is someone out there who understands my message because I really believe them and share trying to help & educate--not to be an authority.

Somehow...I feel I should have stuck with this though.
Explain.jpg

P.S. BTW, I too can and have been mistaken. ;)

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
jquast,

as Jim put it, folk just want to do Bonsai. It does not have to a be a masterpiece, just the joy of keeping a tree alive in a pot. It does not even have to be a bonsai pot, on this side in the late 70's it was aluminium cake tins.

I am reading through a 64 edition on Bonsai by K.Murata. It is interesting to see how much was already in print, and is still used today. I am sure that 64 edition, contained much that was known since the 50's.
Much talk about Red Loam [ Akadama ] and images of how it breaks down,it looks like dirt.

Remarking to myself, I am glad for the mix we use - chuckle.

So much anger on this group - sigh.
Good Day
Anthony

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, who the hell are you to demean the advice or works of Herkimer P. Farquot III ? Also who the hell is Herkimer P. Farquot III anyway ?

:p

ed

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We have our own filters and as for me...I know lots of you think that anything (and everything) I say is garbage. I don't mind :) but hopefully there is someone out there who understands my message because I really believe them and share trying to help & educate--not to be an authority.
P.S. BTW, I too can and have been mistaken. ;)
The problem I have with most of what you post is that it all comes down to a flip of the coin. 50-50. All you do is say IMHO. Why say anything if it isnt definitive and proven from experience? Take a stand and state your position. Otherwise, to me it amounts to " blah blah blah".

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know anything about cherry trees........:rolleyes:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dario,

for my part, most of Bonsai is just very basic plant Biology. A few soil pointers, on particle size, ability to retain water, how the particle size affects air spaces, and how roots further affect that.
Basic prunining, germination of seeds, and lots of observation on how trees/shrubs grow.

As Design goes, the tree will out grow the design, and you try some technique to slow it down as much as possible to hold the design.
If the tree can back bud, life is a bit easier.

BUT there really is nothing difficult.

What seems to be difficult, is mastering the desire to touch to much and come up with reasons to touch.
Or looking for too much convenience, which falls back into personality traits.
Then there is the offering opinion bit - which as it is said, opinions are like breathing, everyone does it. Personalities again.
As well as wanting to show, and so on.

You either truly love growing trees or at some point you will get fed-up with Bonsai.
Good Day
Anthony

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn it, I threw out the softball and everyone misses the lob.

What I expected to hear was that one gets to be a bonsai authority the same way you get to be a bonsai artist. Both are subjective and the owner is not privy to making it happen themselves. It is totally given by peer review. Both are determined by a body of ones work.

...and thats all I got to say about that....

Top Bottom