How far are you willing to go?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, it costs some money to travel cross country!

But, soon, Tesla is going to have a Supercharger route across the southern US. Then, I could drive for free.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know..why would you say this;
"On the other side, people like you seem to have less time but access to tons of good material."
"Access to tons of great material" implies you trip over great material huh?

You cannot pretend you do not have access to good material.

You only have this access to material due to the work you've put into this hobby, and I know that. So stop putting words in my mouth.

I don't really care to engage in this anymore. I said my honest opinion, you refused to accept it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Access to tons of great material" implies you trip over great material huh?

You cannot pretend you do not have access to good material.

You only have this access to material due to the work you've put into this hobby, and I know that. So stop putting words in my mouth.

I don't really care to engage in this anymore. I said my honest opinion, you refused to accept it.
Cool then stop posting in it. Plenty of people have said their thing with out killing the messenger.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, it costs some money to travel cross country!

But, soon, Tesla is going to have a Supercharger route across the southern US. Then, I could drive for free.
Will that come with a subsidy too?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I drive all over northern MN to the U.P. Of Michigan. Up to 300 miles one way. I hike everywhere I can to find good material. I drive 25 miles to the concrete place to buy haydite. I drive to Sara Rayners shop twice a year. 6 hour drive round trip. Bonsai displays in the twin cities, four hour round trip. Soon I'm gonna start making trips to NY one year and Portland the next.

My Yamadori are free except all the gas, time, meals. I love it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Er, what subsidy are you referring to, Smoke?

Tesla puts the Superchargers along the Interstates every hundred miles or so. It's free for Model S drivers to use. As I understand it, $2000 of the price I paid for the car is earmarked to pay for the installation and operation of the Supercharger network.

Tesla pays for the installation of the Superchargers and the electricity. As I understand it, the long term goal is to have solar panels installed to collect the electricity used by the Superchargers.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As I understand it, the long term goal is to have solar panels installed to collect the electricity used by the Superchargers.
I'll start getting really excited about electric cars when solar panels are small & efficient enough to to be onboard the car, charging the batteries.

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have natures way about a 3 hour rt from me I try to make it down there at least once a season. I've been into bonsai about
10 years, I took a few years off (bought my first house had kid, not to much money or time for trees) and just started doing work again. I still consider myself a beginner just from the amount of experience I have. During that time I still made it to all of the USNBE in Rochester a 6 hour rt I think it's important to see that level of work as much as possible
When I was there this fall I met john bierly from quiet spirit arts who lives about ten miles from me( he grows really nice pine stock) and is the president of the nearest club to me
So that was worth the trip there, but I realized early on you
Have to be willing to put the time , money and miles on in this hobby

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll start getting really excited about electric cars when solar panels are small & efficient enough to to be onboard the car, charging the batteries.
Sorry we're going off the topic of bonsai...

The Fiskar car has a solar panel on the roof. It's not powerful enough to play the radio.

I have owned my Tesla about a year and a half. I charge at home. Always begin the day with a full battery. I can charge it up to 265 miles, but usually I only charge up to 225.

As Tesla builds out the Supercharger network, there's less need for a huge battery. When I bought the car, there were no Superchargers in Atlanta. I live 100 miles from Atlanta, so if I wanted to make s round trip, I had to be somewhat mindful of my useage. Not any more. There are two locations in Atlanta I can Supercharge, so I don't have to worry.

It is an amazing thing to never have to go to the gas station!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I haven't driven a long distance for bonsai exactly, but I did make a serious road trip last Summer to see our natural wonders. Went from Dallas to see the national parks and state parks and scenic drives of Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico. During that time I appreciated not only geological beauty but also the trees and other vegetation. One of my buddies kept wondering, "What is it with this guy and those trees and the deadwood?" The trip must have been at least 3000 miles round trip. A good chunk of the trip was with a broken foot. I hiked a littled too, but it probably helped that I only thought that it was a sprained ankle :).

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

The Fiskar car has a solar panel on the roof. It's not powerful enough to play the radio.

I have owned my Tesla about a year and a half. I charge at home. Always begin the day with a full battery. I can charge it up to 265 miles, but usually I only charge up to 225.

As Tesla builds out the Supercharger network, there's less need for a huge battery. When I bought the car, there were no Superchargers in Atlanta. I live 100 miles from Atlanta, so if I wanted to make s round trip, I had to be somewhat mindful of my useage. Not any more. There are two locations in Atlanta I can Supercharge, so I don't have to worry.

Cool! I always envisioned these electric car "recharging stations" To be simply a battery swap. You swing by the "gas station", they swap out your spent battery for one fully charged, and you are on your way again! Is that sort of what the vision is? Other wise, how long does it take to charge the vehicle? My assumption was it would take a long time and stopping to charge it would be inefficient, correct? Super interested in tesla! Made some money on the stock a while back... If Elon would keep his damn mouth shut I could have made a bunch more!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Isn't fuel ...fuel? I never have to go to the supercharger station. There is always going to be time made for refueling.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have two space done the round trip to Asheville and back for the Carolina a Expo! I am fortunate that I have a friend walking distance from my house who has "a few trees" and he sells me stuff from time to time... He has been kind enough to let me join in on many of their study group meetings over the past few years and I cannot even say how much it has helped me develop! I learn something new every time I go over there and cannot believe he is so close bye!

I am planning to make a trip out to the Bonsai learning Center in Charlotte one day... I went there on e some years ago when it was owned by someone different, and I have met one of the new owners at the Carolina a Expo a few times... Bout some stuff from them the past two years!

I also try to find local nurseries or ones on the way when I take long trips and if I can I work a visit in! Got to see Wiegerts last year and am headed that way to see my grand parents again the end of March- DEFF gonna try to make another visit! It is about an hour away from their house, but well worth the drive!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
At least I'm aware of just how spoiled I am... There's so much good stuff around northern California. In fact, I spent the entire weekend in Oakland attending the GSBF Mammoth Bazaar and stocked up on future projects and pots. It's a shame that the rest of the Us doesn't enjoy the same luxuries, but I think in time the lack of material for sale will cause more collecting, hopefully.

Top Bottom