How I make virtuals using paint for windows

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I make virtuals using normal Paint for Windows.. This is a virtual I did for someone here on the forum. It took me exactly 5 min to do it.
1921921_10201277698456529_2007857448_n.jpg

Step 1 Right click the picture> open with> paint
On the top menu : select > free form selection.
If you want to have several copies/versions of the tree, or before and after, select with rectangular selection and paste them next to each leaving enough space for branches...
First drug the corner of the picture to extend the white canvas so you have space where to paste the extra pictures.Then: Select> rectangular selection> select the picture> press Ctrl and drug the picture to a new place to make copy.
Like this
10012974_10201277747817763_1904171397_o.jpg

Next step is to delete all the foliage and branches you dont need. For that use free form selection and select suitable part of the background. You will use that small part of the back ground to delete everything you dont need.
you can see here the small part I selected and while holding Ctrl dropped on the blank canvas for you to see.
You will not need to drop it on the blank canvas, While holding control you keep dropping it over places on the tree which you want to delete
1966152_10201277777138496_1705639915_o.jpg

Here you can see where I dropped the back ground on several places of the foliage.
1836885_10201277792098870_1852904061_o.jpg

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
If you hold shift and drug that small portion of the back ground you selected, it behaves like a paint brush
Here I held shift and drugged the selected piece of background. You can see on the right what happens if you drug with shift
1926287_10201277801059094_1470893098_o.jpg

Now imagine your tree has winter silhouette and you want to visualize it with foliage...Open another tree with paint select the crown of it and paste it on the canvas of your virtual.
1921077_10201277822619633_49819512_o.jpg

Now select a small potion of the foliage, preferably Irregular elongated section containing foliage with dark and light parts. hold control and drop it where you want a pad. Lift the mouse and drop again next to it while continuously holding control. Make sure your portion of foliage stays selected. If you need different angles of foliage go back and select and repeat dragging and dropping while holding control. .
If you have foliage on your tree just select a suitable portion from the before picture and drop it where you want while holding control.
1900644_10201277845660209_1005661169_o.jpg

It is so simple...Just dont remove your finger from control...lift and drop that small portion of foliage...while overlapping them.
Like this. Continue until you have done it the way you want it. If you want to delete portions you dont like, select again a part of the back ground and drop it over places you dont want
1966057_10201277870820838_726268324_o.jpg

Here I used different equally easy technique
10007299_10201277889021293_440231211_o.jpg

Notice above that I copied and pasted trees with branch structure that I like. The tree I want to make a virtual of is first.
Notice here the first picture where I deleted all the foliage. On the second picture I copied a branch from another tree and pasted it on the right by selecting it and moving it to the new place while holding control. Now notice the branch on the left...it is the same branch which I selected and drugged on the left while holding control, then while it is selected >>>Rotate> flip horizontal, and then drug it to the place you want.
When selecting the branch enlarge it (ctrl rotate mouse wheel) and drug the mouse as close to the outline of the
10005965_10201277930662334_2104120698_o.jpg

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Notice on the last tree how I did part of the trunk by selecting a section of the top and drugging it while holding shift and in some places by pasting while holding control
1980221_10201277951582857_2047821229_o.jpg

One more time I am showing here how to make pads/crown from a small piece of selected foliage.
I am not really trying to make a virtual here...just to show the method.
1911259_10201278109386802_1572803323_o.jpg

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Solid write up. I basically do the same thing with adobe photoshop, which ultimately leads to a cleaner finished image, but thats just a difference in software. Your's is free, and mine is expensive. The whole point of the exercise is to accurately illustrate a design in as short amount of time as possible. Like you, I rarely spend more than 5 mins on a virtual. I keep a small library of species that have nice foliage/branch structure with a plain background. This allows me to easily cut pieces of their foliage off and add it to my virtual.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Neli. We need more of these tutorials.

It is a FREE software everyone have and can use so I am surprised not too many commented on this.

I use paint and I picked-up a couple useful tips myself. :)

The weakness of paint IMHO is the lack of rotate options so I usually copy from another pic as pwk5017 mentioned and maybe rotate it on MS Office. Additional step but can help create a better image in the long run.

I also open various images simultaneously (in Paint) and copy paste from those as needed.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Probably most people know how to use it...it is for some that dont know.
Thanks Dario

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Probably most people know how to use it...it is for some that dont know.
Thanks Dario

I wish but doubt it, seeing all the request for virt, virts posted, and questions we get here and through PM.

BUT...I like you positive attitude/outlook. ;) Thanks!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Why do you doubt it? What are you thinking?
I hope some people will add some more ideas.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why do you doubt it? What are you thinking?

I wish but doubt it, seeing all the request for virt, virts posted, and questions we get here and through PM.

You missed this?

In case I am not clear, I doubt that most people know how to use it already. It is more likely that they are not interested in learning/doing it.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
You missed this?

In case I am not clear, I doubt that most people know how to use it already. It is more likely that they are not interested in learning/doing it.
But it is so simple...Just drug and drop, with some creativity.
Maybe they are practicing. he he he!

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Photoshop for virts FREE

Solid write up. I basically do the same thing with adobe photoshop, which ultimately leads to a cleaner finished image, but thats just a difference in software. Your's is free, and mine is expensive. The whole point of the exercise is to accurately illustrate a design in as short amount of time as possible. Like you, I rarely spend more than 5 mins on a virtual. I keep a small library of species that have nice foliage/branch structure with a plain background. This allows me to easily cut pieces of their foliage off and add it to my virtual.

Uh, not necessarily. Here is a link that a friend pointed out to me a bit back:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

Every once in a while Adobe does something like this. Here they are giving away an older version with the hopes of "hooking" people on it.:cool:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Has someone tried this way of making a virtual. Post how you are doing...If you do it two times only after that will be just so simple.
There are only 2-3 things to rmember.
I do virtuals on all my trees. Print them and go in the garden with a file. I have too many trees, and I forget which is the leader and every time I trim I chop some leaders if I forget.
Old age is catching up with me.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Uh, not necessarily. Here is a link that a friend pointed out to me a bit back:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

Every once in a while Adobe does something like this. Here they are giving away an older version with the hopes of "hooking" people on it.:cool:

I use "webroot secure anywhere" protection software. My protection stopped the download and disinfected thirty malware trojans in the download. I would have loved to had the older version. I have the newer one and I hate it.

Not on my computer.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Ay ay ay Al. I alrady downloaded it...Lets see what Kaspersky will say.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
virual?

I use "webroot secure anywhere" protection software. My protection stopped the download and disinfected thirty malware trojans in the download. I would have loved to had the older version. I have the newer one and I hate it.

Not on my computer.

Sorry folks; I had no idea one way or the other. I
never bothered to try it since I still use 6.5 (circa 2000)
since it does all I have ever needed. Have used
the later versions since it but at home I still use
the antique version.
Not making the news just reported what was/had
been forwarded to me.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I scanned it with kaspersky it had nothing malicious. It has a plug in that asks you to run in the beginning that needs to access the registry. Can it be because of that?

Top Bottom