How I spent my Sunday

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
When scrolling through online ads looking for nothing in particular i happened across an ad for garden plants being removed as the garden was being turned into a driveway. By the time I got there everything was gone except a horrible looking boxwood and a huge Japanese maple. After a little bartering and 2.5 hours of digging I walked away with it for £40. It's a little late to be digging as the leaves had popped but the soil was soft and I got a huge rootball and transplanted it straight into the garden.

20180422_195545.jpg

It's planted in cat litter to promote fine root growth as my garden is just dense clay. I think its a beautiful tree. I fully expect some dieback but fingers crossed in a couple of years i can take some air layers. For reference that's a 7ft fence behind it. Picture taken from upstairs window

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Japanese maples are my favorites! I envy those of you who live in areas where they will survive in your landscape. Here it is all I can do to get them to survive when I shelter and baby them.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Japanese maples are my favorites! I envy those of you who live in areas where they will survive in your landscape. Here it is all I can do to get them to survive when I shelter and baby them.
Same here. If I have to pick one specie to take to Mars with me then Japanese maple would be the one.
IMG_20180330_131024275.jpg

Top Bottom