How is my juniper bonsai looking?

DrJazz777

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently received this juniper bonsai as a gift (via mail). I have been spending the last 3 days or so researching and trying to learn as much as I can about the plant. I also know that the juniper won't like being over-watered so I try not to overdo it. I check the soil to make sure it's not bone dry a few times a day, and water it if I sont feel any moisture.

Every day for the last three days, I have noticed more brown/yellow patches. It's not a lot (I don't think) but I just want to get some opinions on my plant.

I keep it outside and live in Texas. We've been having 100° heat. It receives direct sunlight between 12 and 7:30 from where it's positioned - I'm moving soon but as of now that can't be changed. Again, I only water it when I feel the soil is dry, and sometimes I spray some light water on it with a spray bottle. Here are some pictures. Let me know what you think! My biggest fear is that I'm not watering it enough, because I'm always so worried that I'm overdoing it (I use a watering can).

Thanks for your thoughts on my bonsai in advance!

Attachments

• 20200714_195626.jpg
    20200714_195626.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200714_195621.jpg
    20200714_195621.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200714_195611.jpg
    20200714_195611.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 48

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it is normal to have yellowing patches since it was moved to a full sun location, usually at nurseries they have some kind of shade over them and changing it to full sun all of sudden might trigger yellowing. Also, when you water it does water come out from the bottom of the pot? If not, the soil might be too compacted that means that the tree is not getting enough water, if that's the case the soil might need to be changed to one that allows for better draining.

DrJazz777

Seedling
Reaction score
I think it is normal to have yellowing patches since it was moved to a full sun location, usually at nurseries they have some kind of shade over them and changing it to full sun all of sudden might trigger yellowing. Also, when you water it does water come out from the bottom of the pot? If not, the soil might be too compacted that means that the tree is not getting enough water, if that's the case the soil might need to be changed to one that allows for better draining.
Thank you for your response! I water top down and it's kind of difficult to tell if water is coming out of the drainage holes because water gets onto the humidity tray. Lately, I've been picking up the pot and the water has been steadily dripping through the drainage holes - it looks clear.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water more fersure....twice a day.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just watering once for few seconds is not enough. seeing water run out of the drain hole is not enough. Most of that water runs down between the pot and the soil and straight out the hole without even penetrating the roots. Every day the roots get a bit drier.
Effective watering allows the water to soak right into the centre of the root ball.
Watering several times can help - water then rest for a few minutes then water again. First water will soak in a little. Second water can then soak in and go further. Third water will usually reach the centre where it is needed.
Soaking the pot for a few minutes once a week will make sure the entire root ball starts the week properly hydrated and is good for beginners getting the hang of proper watering methods.
It is very unlikely to over water in summer in hotter areas.
Underwatering will definitely kill your tree in a single day. Overwatering may harm a tree but takes many months.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
you can make holes in the soil, with a wood stick, if you see that the water doesn't penetrate correctly inside the core of the rootball

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A resource on watering:
As someone who has grown bonsai on a hot balcony, I can tell you the heat and lack of air circulation can be challenging. You will have better results when you get a good handle on watering and have a place out in the open for your tree.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I water I try to only water the soil and not from over the top of the tree. I water thoroughly until water runs through the drainage holes. Then I’ll water my vegetables. Then my trees again. Then flowers. Then my trees again, provided they’re in a good draining soil mix
I read somewhere, probably this site, “water once for the pot, once for the soil and once for the tree”.

DrJazz777

Seedling
Reaction score
These are really helpful tips on watering! Especially the advice some of you gave about getting down to the root ball. I will definitely use these techniques you all suggested!

Top Bottom