How late in the season can you prune juniper?

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello! I am new to this forum and new to bonsai this year, so I apologize if this is a repeat question (I searched around a bit and did not find the exact answer).

Ive been researching bonsai the last few months and I think ive reached information overload. In any event I would just like to practice styling and pruning on some junipers and wondering if it’s too late into summer already or if junipers can handle pruning and shaping into autumn? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information so wondering what the community thinks? I live in Seattle and summers are fairly mild but we can still expect at least one or two more decent heat waves that will reach 90-100F.

We also do not have many good bonsai nurseries in the area. There are a couple but prices are pretty steep for 1 or 3 gallon juniper procumbens. Ive been checking local nurseries for shimpaku, chinensis and procumbens but options seem fairly limited. Do you guys have any suggestions on other common species or variants that are ok for bonsai, that I may find at local nurseries? Thanks for the tips I appreciate it!

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello! I am new to this forum and new to bonsai this year, so I apologize if this is a repeat question (I searched around a bit and did not find the exact answer).

Ive been researching bonsai the last few months and I think ive reached information overload. In any event I would just like to practice styling and pruning on some junipers and wondering if it’s too late into summer already or if junipers can handle pruning and shaping into autumn? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information so wondering what the community thinks? I live in Seattle and summers are fairly mild but we can still expect at least one or two more decent heat waves that will reach 90-100F.

We also do not have many good bonsai nurseries in the area. There are a couple but prices are pretty steep for 1 or 3 gallon juniper procumbens. Ive been checking local nurseries for shimpaku, chinensis and procumbens but options seem fairly limited. Do you guys have any suggestions on other common species or variants that are ok for bonsai, that I may find at local nurseries? Thanks for the tips I appreciate it!
Look closely at your common ground mounding Juniper that is sold any Home Depot or Lowe's Nursery as well as regular nurseries

They often have aggressive bent over trunk shape and a lot of potential to make a really nice cascading pieces

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Junipers can be trimmed year round in general, but I prefer waiting for the spring flush to end so that the roots have enough auxins to get a jumpstart - with procumbens being the exception, it responds pretty well to keeping that first flush pruned and it then responds with a second flush later in the summer with more compact growth. Trimming of healthy trees, as far as I know, can be done year round if the situation demands it. In my case, some of my junipers produce just one flush of growth and others grow the entire summer. It's pretty species specific. Over pruning can weaken a plant and it can cause scale-type-foliage junipers to revert to juvenile needle foliage. Moderation is key!

Wiring is best done in the fall or winter, because their bark is loose during the growing seasons. If you wire them in a growing season, you risk the bark peeling off, causing weird wounds that take time to heal. In winter that's usually not the case.

I can recommend though, to just buy a couple cheap ones and give everything a go. Wire in summer, see what happens. Wire in fall, see what happens. Winter and spring, same thing.. This hands-on experience will cost you roughly 30-40 dollars but it beats reading articles by miles, simply because you'll be reminded of the pros and cons for the entire time you own those plants. Just for perspective's sake, a one-hour driving lesson over here is around 55-60 USD.
I also recommend checking out small nurseries, they usually have some low priced stuff they want to get rid of and they're generally more willing to help you find harder to obtain material.

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ah this is great thanks so much for the replies! I ended up finding a decent shimpaku today while I was out so 👍. Anyways thanks again, super helpful. I’ll just grab some stuff and post pics of the practice work!

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sky nursery has a selection of junipers and cypress. I picked up a nice little shimpaku the last time I was there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't prune it later than around now. Except for show tidying things you won't be concerned with for a while.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sky nursery has a selection of junipers and cypress. I picked up a nice little shimpaku the last time I was there.
Oh nice, good to know! Funny I just heard about that nursery the other day, I’m in Burien so shorelines a bit of a drive but I’ll have to check it out sometime.

I wouldn't prune it later than around now. Except for show tidying things you won't be concerned with for a while.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Perfect thanks for the tip!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hard prune my juniper May through August, but prefer July here.
July because late Spring pruning removes too much new growth if I'm removing a lot, and cuts have time to heal.
If not removing a lot, it doesn't matter being late Spring there's still enough strength to be gained with the other new growth.
No later than August because I want new growth to harden off before Winter.

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
July because late Spring pruning removes too much new growth if I'm removing a lot, and cuts have time to heal.
If not removing a lot, it doesn't matter being late Spring there's still enough strength to be gained with the other new growth.
Great that is super helpful thanks!

Just want to say thanks to everyone who responded. I tried a couple other bonsai forums before I found this one and the replies were largely negative and unconstructive. I joined so I can learn how to develop a hobby, not so I could be discouraged. So thanks to everyone here for being helpful and inviting, truly appreciated. Looking forward to learning more with everyone!

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Just want to say thanks to everyone who responded. I tried a couple other bonsai forums before I found this one and the replies were largely negative and unconstructive. I joined so I can learn how to develop a hobby, not so I could be discouraged. So thanks to everyone here for being helpful and inviting, truly appreciated. Looking forward to learning more with everyone!
I came here after asking a question on another forum and getting zero replies for 3 days :( This place is much better and everyone here is super helpful to us newbies who tend to ask countless basic questions :p

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
any suggestions on other common species or variants that are ok for bonsai
might scroll through @sorce s thread where he uses blue rug juniper quite well

Also, straight up Sargent juniper can develop quickly, but more coarse than procumbens
and definitely keeps the scissors and concave cutters earning their keep.

There are 5 videos here to watch on wiring
This is a great tool to bookmark!!!!

Learning to clean the underside and top side of branches to define pads by thinning
and how to wire properly will be the 2 most important things someone new or experienced
can learn, besides having stock that is compatible with them and their climate.

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Just want to say thanks to everyone who responded. I tried a couple other bonsai forums before I found this one and the replies were largely negative and unconstructive
I came here after asking a question on another forum and getting zero replies for 3 days :( This place is much better and everyone here is super helpful to us newbies who tend to ask countless basic questions :p
haha perfect that’s exactly what I was looking for, looking forward to sharing the journey!

might scroll through @sorce s thread where he uses blue rug juniper quite well

Also, straight up Sargent juniper can develop quickly, but more coarse than procumbens
and definitely keeps the scissors and concave cutters earning their keep.

There are 5 videos here to watch on wiring
This is a great tool to bookmark!!!!

Learning to clean the underside and top side of branches to define pads by thinning
and how to wire properly will be the 2 most important things someone new or experienced
can learn, besides having stock that is compatible with them and their climate.
Hey thanks that looks pretty helpful! Ive been checking out Jonas Dupuich’s blog, bonsaitonight, he’s got some great how to’s and wiring examples as well - though I’m sure it’s well known to this forum. Cheers!

Top Bottom