How late is Spring development in your area this year?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've checked with pictures of my tree on this exact same date in the past year. It appears that 2022 is 3 weeks behind 2021 at my location. Most of my trees are just budding while they already sported lots of foliage last year on this very day.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of my trees are at least two weeks AHEAD of things last year. Some are behind. Almost all my maples are in full leaf now. Last year, they had just started to open up. My big cedar elm is just starting to elongate buds--which is unusual. Another smaller cedar elm has its first leaves.

We've had weird spring weather for at least the fifth year in a row. We've already had mid-March daytime temperatures into the mid 80's and high 70's. We also had a string of days in Feb. with 70 degrees.

This morning is 20 with a slight wind. Snow squalls yesterday. High was 39ish with 45 mph winds...

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've checked with pictures of my tree on this exact same date in the past year. It appears that 2022 is 3 weeks behind 2021 at my location. Most of my trees are just budding while they already sported lots of foliage last year on this very day.
I just looked at the 1 year ago pics earlier and definitely behind about 2 weeks. Many of my maples just started to leave out where as most of them already fully leafed this time last year. I was surprised to see some that are in colder zones with maple already advanced far ahead of mine. We hit 85 last couple days so it does look like we will skip Spring and just jump into summer this year.20220328_180849.jpg20220328_180008.jpg

Last edited:

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I feel like we're behind here in Texas as well with these up and down temps. This past weekend got up past 90. The week before was high of 70s with lows in the 40s. Remainder of this week and into next week is looking like 2 weeks ago. Plants don't know what is going on.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't have any data from last year, but I've got a mixed bag this year. Newly purchased trees are beginning to open, other than my American Beech and zelkovas. The maples that overwintered with me seem to be a little slower and are just starting to show signs of life and one is still asleep (or dead). Tridents and koto hime seem particularly excited to leaf out. We are in a cold snap here in NY with temps in the 20s and even some flurries yesterday. Trees will go back outside tomorrow night.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s pretty slow going here. The weather has just started to have some consistency in mild to warm temperatures for a week but then we take a nosedive back to overnight minus degrees soon. The trees in pots are confused as heck right now, the maples are leafing out but the azalea keeps dropping leaves and restarting.

As for landscape trees there is equal confusion with the neighbors BEAUTIFUL Magnolia tree in a leafless full flower ( HUGE and stunning), Japanese cherry in full bloom on my work route yet other tree species still completely barren.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Roller coaster spring here, as per usual. We had one nice week of 60's-70's, then cold, gray and raining for a week. The yard is starting to green up and some of the landscape trees are showing signs of leaves. My crepes in the garage are still fast asleep.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Really early. Mid Feb some trees were starting to break buds

Started noticing a lot of gopher bush starting to flower soon after. The gopher bush at my place flowered around March 9th

March 20th mulberry was swelling buds and broke buds on the 23rd. Aspen was pretty close behind

Boxwoods were getting their small flowers around March 6th (only pic of pruning). The last week they’ve been throwing a lot more growth

Just noticed my holm oak was showing some new bud breaks yesterday. Shumard oak in my front yard broke buds about 2 days ago. My bonsai, double trunk Shumard is swelling or just barely breaking open

Then again, this is the desert, so… yah. Beginning to mid March seemed like everything was waking up more around town

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m about ten days behind. Last year, things were like they are today on the 17th.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a wide range. Earliest movers started first week of February. The latest are just getting started now.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Roller coaster spring here, as per usual. We had one nice week of 60's-70's, then cold, gray and raining for a week. The yard is starting to green up and some of the landscape trees are showing signs of leaves. My crepes in the garage are still fast asleep.
Les vents de Pâques are toying with us down here this year with periods of warmth and cold with blustery winds.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
According to my pictures of a large sweet gum in my yard, we were about 2 weeks early this year in southern CA.

It's been a strange fall/winter/spring this year. Lots of heat waves and cold (relative) spells. Super dry, hot winds for a week and then chilly. Had this over and over again so far.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm behind the normal in Ohio. I was worried I'd be behind the 8 ball again this year coming home the first day of spring only to find everything fast asleep. Only thing moving is my Dwarf Lilac for the most part. Last year I missed the repotting window coming home later in March to find everything leafed out. We had 17 and 15 degrees the last two nights and 70s tomorrow.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At least one to two weeks early here from my perspective.

Sucks cause I pulled some muscles in my back a week and a half ago and I really did a number on it, probably the worst Ive done. Still hasnt healed. Dont get old and stay in shape folks....😩

Means a lot of my planned repotting probably wont get done this year

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hate you all .😂😂😂😂 ground still frozen . 80 percent of the snow melted in warm spell last week . Cold last 2 days below -10 dC overnight bad weather snow/ freezing rain tomorrow . This should be the last week of it . So I would say about normal spring so far . It can snow as Kate as first 2 weeks of April . But that’s rare .

Reactions: Ugo

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
At least one to two weeks early here from my perspective.

Sucks cause I pulled some muscles in my back a week and a half ago and I really did a number on it, probably the worst Ive done. Still hasnt healed. Dont get old and stay in shape folks....😩

Means a lot of my planned repotting probably wont get done this year
Sorry to hear that Sandy, hope you heal quickly.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cooler and wetter spring this year running two to three weeks later by my estimate. Actually a help as I needed a lot of time for repotting this year! Should finish up this coming week with repotting. Pruned maples today and very little sap movement, sealant had a chance to dry properly!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday I think was winters last kick at the cat . Zone 4 slight snow freezing rain last night . Getting warm today 10 c and rain for next few days . Should melt the remaining snow and break winters back 👍👍 long range forecast is wet cooler than normal April . Followed by dry warmer than normal may 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Ugo
Top Bottom