How long before trident maple produces seeds?

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello, I have a few tridents that I started from seed about 7 years ago. When do they mature and start producing seeds? I planted them in the ground over the weekend.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Must be a lot longer than Japanese maples. I have a few I grow in pot that will be 12 years soon but never see any blossoms. Much harder to get them bloom in pot I guess

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you for the responses. One of them I have never pruned so maybe one day it will produce.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seems as though it would be faster and easier to just let one grow wild and the air layer the shoots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fruiting trees produce sooner if they are pot bound. It tricks the plant into thinking it is mature. You might have pushed it back a few years by putting it into the ground?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can't remember ever seeing flowers on my potted tridents (except the Taiwan variety) - 30 years or more. Regularly get flowers on JM in pots.
Tridents in our garden produce loads of seed after 5 years or so here. Now we have a problem with trident seedlings all over the garden and in all the pots in the nursery. Hundreds of thousands of them germinate in any mulched garden bed and are tough enough to survive our summer even without water. No longer need to collect seed and germinate to get trident stock to work with.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't remember ever seeing flowers on my potted tridents (except the Taiwan variety) - 30 years or more. Regularly get flowers on JM in pots.
Tridents in our garden produce loads of seed after 5 years or so here. Now we have a problem with trident seedlings all over the garden and in all the pots in the nursery. Hundreds of thousands of them germinate in any mulched garden bed and are tough enough to survive our summer even without water. No longer need to collect seed and germinate to get trident stock to work with.
I can try to understand you problem. I have to pay for mine.

Top Bottom