How long before you know ...

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... you killed a juniper? Like, my wife got a nicely shaped juniper at a nursery for just $10 and she wanted to try to make it a root-over-rock design and a cascade. In the process of doing this, she may have cut the root ball too much. We continue to mist it and it’s been almost three weeks with no signs of stress or death. How long before we will know?

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Junis can take a while before showing distress or death.. like next year. Hopefully it will be ok, but wrong time of year to do that kind of work. Best of luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are junipers still actively growing down there?

This is Probly not a terrible time to repot.

Full low sun?

Sorce

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
The first thing will be a subtle change in color and a dulling of the foliage. Without the experience of killing trees or branches in the past most won’t notice. I can tell with 99% certainty within 3 nanoseconds a week after I’ve f’d up. But if it’s dormant it won’t show until it tries to grow.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
December is the start of cooler months here in Florida. Probably could have waited until January, but the weather has been cooler so we repotted.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you kill a juniper really fast it won't turn brown. The foliage will just turn a dull grey/green color and get dry and brittle. A healthy juniper will feel soft and the foliage will be a rich green to a dark almost blue/green. This is for junipers during the growing season.

I normally repot junipers in mid-January or early-February because by late February they are already starting to push spring growth.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repot junipers when I see them growing. Usually late spring.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you kill a juniper really fast it won't turn brown. The foliage will just turn a dull grey/green color and get dry and brittle. A healthy juniper will feel soft and the foliage will be a rich green to a dark almost blue/green. This is for junipers during the growing season.

I normally repot junipers in mid-January or early-February because by late February they are already starting to push spring growth.

I checked it again today and it was soft and moist and green.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think I heard a whimper, I think that it's going to pull through.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can usually tell when I kill junipers by the feel and not so much the color. If the foliage starts feeling brittle and dried out it's probably dead.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
December is the start of cooler months here in Florida. Probably could have waited until January, but the weather has been cooler so we repotted.
You are fine with the timing of your repot. My junipers are actually growing pretty strongly right now. They wont slow down until february or so. I have repotted junpiers in december here and havent lost one. Even cut 90 percent foliage off a procumbens just to see how much i could abuse it and it kept on ticking. Didnt touch the roots thougb

Top Bottom