How long do you think it’ll take to correct the inverse taper on this Barbados cherry?

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The lower part of the branch was below the soil when I pick this thing up from the nursery a year ago. Nice to see two back buds growing well from below that line. I’ve been doing mostly clip and grow, with a little bit of wire. I think it’ll be nice one day, just need to get the base to widen…

E8A8A6C6-E762-4343-88ED-F17A3DBA57DD.jpeg

9A3931A8-0D84-4CA6-A907-66E01B57A6F4.jpeg

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Wish those buds popped on opposite sides...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
have you tried to induce aerial roots? If theyre anything like the dwarf barb cherry, it should be really easy to grow some to cover it up. Or, even air layer it above the inverse taper.

Had any of the fruit yet?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You are in FL where these are a dime a dozen. Buy one that's right. Pay attention when shopping and you can get pretty good at bonsai.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@JoeR yes I am thinking an air layer would be the best bet. Thanks

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That trunk is pretty long and straight - this tree could benefit from a shorter trunk, so maybe try layering the top off? I don’t know the species, so I don’t know how well they layer.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Forsoothe! yes they are common here in FL. This is probably the third nursery plant I bought after I got back into [trying to keep plants in small pots] bonsai, so I am really trying to work with this one just on principle alone… This one taught me (in hindsight) the lesson to look below the soil to see potential…

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@DonovanC I have to clip it every week it grows like crazy. So… I am thinking it would respond well to an air layer. The only reason I posted tonight because I noticed those two new back buds lower down on the main trunk that popped and grew without me even noticing just last week... I’m wondering if those will help take care of the problem in a year?

PS I saw your Dunkin tea in another post that’s my go to every morning LOL

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In that case, learn how to air layer. Someday, you will have something that really, really needs to be air layered, muy pronto, and then you'll have a notch on your gun.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Forsoothe!

Do you think I should give it some time and let those brand new lower two branches develop to help widen in the trunk?

Or, just go ahead and try to layer?

I air layerd a large ficus back in 1996 that all took well so I’m pretty sure it works the same way now these days... LOL. Thanks. Let me know your thoughts.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@DonovanC I have to clip it every week it grows like crazy. So… I am thinking it would respond well to an air layer. The only reason I posted tonight because I noticed those two new back buds lower down on the main trunk that popped and grew without me even noticing just last week... I’m wondering if those will help take care of the problem in a year?

PS I saw your Dunkin tea in another post that’s my go to every morning LOL

That Strawberry Dragonfruit Refresher 🤤 I spend too much money there lol

But if those two new shoots take off, you could use them as sacrifice branches and thicken the trunk that way. Who knows you might even end up including one of them in the design of the tree.
The inverse taper isn’t bad, so I don’t think it would take much - but I have to say ive never attempted to fix this issue so all of my thoughts are mere speculation.
Taking a break from pruning will help too. Letting the tree grow wild for a season will do a lot for the tree. Radial root pruning will also aid in thickening the base. I’ve seen some pretty impressive base thicken in one season on some of my ficus trees just from this technique.

But then again, airlayering gives you two trees 🤷🏻‍♂️ ...the lower half of the tree could make a really nice shohin 🤔

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have lots of room above them to do the job and have both. Your lowest branch on the left could be clipped off for this operation and never missed because it's out of scale anyway.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This would have been my move

Air layer between the yellow cut the red and ride that curve

Did you ever do anything severe for experimentation sake I'm realizing this was 2020

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210326-161653~2.png
    Screenshot_20210326-161653~2.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom