MalcolmMc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Rookie question here, but it's one I cannot seem to find the answer to.

It's winter, so my plants aren't getting a ton of sun. I've read that 4 may be enough to keep them alive. 6 hours would be better. 8 hours even more ideal. But where do I draw the line? Why not give them 15 hours (like in the summer) or better yet, why not 24 hours?

I have purchased a little grow little for my indoor tropical bonsai but I do not know where to draw the line?

This is the bulb I purchased and put in a deck lamp
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-El...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-302049327-_-302213390-_-N

I also understand there are probably different conditions ideal for different plants. I have a brazilian rain tree, 2 ficus, a natal plum and grewia... and one light bulb.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep in mind that tropical plants (equatorial) live in a pretty much 12/12 day night cycle all year long.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just try to keep my tropicals alive during winter. When I wake up I turn on the plant lights. When I go to bed I turn off my lights. They survive well enough until they can go back outside. Going on 4 years doing this without losing anything. Every year I learn more and improve the indoor tropicals setup.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have my Brazilian under a grow light inside and I have it on a timer for 16 hours a day.
At first you can tell the tree has to get used to it because the leaves close even with the light on. After a couple of weeks they stay open until the lights turn off and close once it turn off

Top Bottom