How long should I leave this olive wired?

hierophant

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Howdy!

I repotted this olive tree about a month ago (Christmas day). I bought it online, so I'm not sure about age, but it's pretty young -- just a couple years. The planting mix is 75% lava/25% pine bark.

My question is, how long should I leave the wire on? I know general guidance is about a month, but this is my first time working in such a loose mix and I'm worried about it anchoring properly. At the same time, I don't want the wire to cut into the trunk.

(If it matters: it's living indoors under full spectrum fluorescents and getting water every 2-3 days.)

Thanks!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Howdy!

I repotted this olive tree about a month ago (Christmas day). I bought it online, so I'm not sure about age, but it's pretty young -- just a couple years. The planting mix is 75% lava/25% pine bark.

My question is, how long should I leave the wire on? I know general guidance is about a month, but this is my first time working in such a loose mix and I'm worried about it anchoring properly. At the same time, I don't want the wire to cut into the trunk.

(If it matters: it's living indoors under full spectrum fluorescents and getting water every 2-3 days.)

Thanks!

What is that wire doing anyway?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hmm...
Well in general, you'd leave wire on until the tree grows begins to grow into it, or "until the wire bites in".
I'm not sure that you actually need that wire like that....

hierophant

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm...
Well in general, you'd leave wire on until the tree grows begins to grow into it, or "until the wire bites in".

Really? Is that specifically in this situation or a general comment about writing-for-stability after repot?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well, that's for branches really....
I can't say that I've seen a tree wired into the pot like that...
Some folks never wire their trees into the pot at all...
When I do, I wire in the roots, then bury the wire, so you can't see it.

I think I might start using twine to tie my trees into the pot, then the twine rots away by the time new roots have established.
Someone here on Bnut shared that little tidbit with us....can't remember who told sorce about it....and he told me.

Reaction score
use string tied in a loop ( so loose around the trunk), from just below the branches around and under the pot and again tied around the trunk. like tent guy ropes, you might need to repeat this at 90 degrees to the first string.Then cut the wire and open the coils up so you do not damage the trunk..
I am not an olive expert but believe most olives sold for Bonsai in the UK and hardy and should be left outside check up on the internet for your area, and type of olive tree.
The usual way of tying a tree into a pot is to go through the tying holes/drainage holes in the pot , over the roots then through another hole in the base of the pot, you would do this several times twist the wires to tighten thembut not to crush the roots. If there is a bonsai club nearby I am sure one of the members would be only too pleased to help you. Good luck with your tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm...
I was told to wait until the wire just bites in and remove it the day before.

Reaction score
Wire biting in is when you wire to shape a branch as just wing it says timing till the day after is impossible to judge best to keep a close eye on all the branches and remove as necessary some branches will thicken much faster than other ones. Youe wire isnt to shape the tree just to hold it steady in its pot.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All trees should be wired into their pots. So that once secured, they will not move!

In fact, I could grab a newly potted tree by the trunk and lift the pot, tree, soil all together as one piece.

Why? After repotting, you want new roots to grow. If the tree can be moved by the wind, it can break the new fine roots.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
All trees should be wired into their pots. So that once secured, they will not move!

In fact, I could grab a newly potted tree by the trunk and lift the pot, tree, soil all together as one piece.

Why? After repotting, you want new roots to grow. If the tree can be moved by the wind, it can break the new fine roots.
Exactly why I've always wired mine in good and snug...
Many times they would fall over without it.
And I always have birds landing on my trees too.

I want to try the twine on some vigorous tree eventually...

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How far is that wire coiling down and is it tied to the bottom of the pot? just repotted? Maybe remove it now and use a couple of stones to stabilize it.. or look into better technique to anchoring with too few roots. Good luck.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How far is that wire coiling down and is it tied to the bottom of the pot? just repotted? Maybe remove it now and use a couple of stones to stabilize it.. or look into better technique to anchoring with too few roots. Good luck.
No need for twine, use aluminum wire. You just have to figure out away to secure the roots or rootball to the pot without exposing the wire.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, that's for branches really....
I can't say that I've seen a tree wired into the pot like that...
Some folks never wire their trees into the pot at all...
When I do, I wire in the roots, then bury the wire, so you can't see it.

I think I might start using twine to tie my trees into the pot, then the twine rots away by the time new roots have established.
Someone here on Bnut shared that little tidbit with us....can't remember who told sorce about it....and he told me.
It was @bonhe who originally said it here. I'm also thinking of going this root this year. (Pun intended lol)

Aaron

Top Bottom