how long to give root cutting?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was curious how long you wait for a root cutting to show signs of life before giving up? I have no idea if it’s like a month or a year and i figured it’d be handy to have a broad range in mind

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is no amount of time that can be given because all plants are different. What have you got?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There is no amount of time that can be given because all plants are different. What have you got?

Kind of a whole array really. I haven't done much with cuttings before. A thickish bougie sucker branch seems to be doing well, but a korean hornbeam root that's been sitting around for a bit is doing nothing.

I like fishing, but I at least like to know there are actually fish there in the river that are outsmarting me if I'm not catching anything, if you know what I mean.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like fishing, but I at least like to know there are actually fish there in the river that are outsmarting me if I'm not catching anything, if you know what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean and I suggest using a different bait.
Some plants will never grow from root cuttings. Some take weeks and some take years.
If this is a passion for you, gift yourself a copy of The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. I am wearing out my 3rd copy.
Otherwise, but more specific about the plant and someone will respond.
Best of luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know exactly what you mean and I suggest using a different bait.
Some plants will never grow from root cuttings. Some take weeks and some take years.
If this is a passion for you, gift yourself a copy of The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. I am wearing out my 3rd copy.
Otherwise, but more specific about the plant and someone will respond.
Best of luck.

cool! I’ll look into that book.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some of the plants on that list are really easy, others were added on advice from others but I have had zero success so far. Elms and Hawthorn are 2 of the types we use that are easier so worth trying for beginners. It is highly likely there are other species that can grow from root cuttings but no-one has thought to try or added the to the list. If it is not there it is always worth a try just to see for yourself.

Timing is more about the tree's natural growing cycle than calendar months after taking the cuttings. Start looking for buds and shoots a few weeks after the species normally leafs out in your area.

You should see buds around the top of easy species in a few weeks and shoots growing in a month or so after the species normally leafs out.
Some of the more reluctant ones do take 3 or 4 months to sprout new shoots.

I can usually pick failed cuttings when they start to shrivel up. Occasionally some will die back a bit at the top but are still OK further down and will sometimes shoot. I have had trident maple root cuttings stay healthy and solid for 2 years but none have ever sprouted so while looking good holds hope it does not always mean success.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Some of the plants on that list are really easy, others were added on advice from others but I have had zero success so far. Elms and Hawthorn are 2 of the types we use that are easier so worth trying for beginners. It is highly likely there are other species that can grow from root cuttings but no-one has thought to try or added the to the list. If it is not there it is always worth a try just to see for yourself.

Timing is more about the tree's natural growing cycle than calendar months after taking the cuttings. Start looking for buds and shoots a few weeks after the species normally leafs out in your area.

You should see buds around the top of easy species in a few weeks and shoots growing in a month or so after the species normally leafs out.
Some of the more reluctant ones do take 3 or 4 months to sprout new shoots.

I can usually pick failed cuttings when they start to shrivel up. Occasionally some will die back a bit at the top but are still OK further down and will sometimes shoot. I have had trident maple root cuttings stay healthy and solid for 2 years but none have ever sprouted so while looking good holds hope it does not always mean success.

Interesting

Well, I guess they aren't really taking up much space right now so they have until I need to stack some firewood this fall

Top Bottom