How Many Bonsai is too much???

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I often here "I have too many trees"...Well what is too many trees? What is the threshold? Who sets this? Is this subjective? I pose this because I dont have a particular number in mind of what is too many... I believe the legendary John Naka once was able to actually quantify this threshold...If I am correct he said something like 50(Not certain) or something in that ball park.

James

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Too many bonsai is the amount more than you're capable of caring for. Does that help?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Spring prior to my moving I unspotted and planted 87 trees at the old place. Last November I gave away somewhere between 20 and 50ish. Our new property simply won't handle that amount so thinning it down to somewhere around 25 will give me room to expand some when settled this coming season. Space restrictions... On the bright side I will have a lot more good trees and less experimental.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with both first 2 posts above.

Note that as the trees get more refined, care & requirement also changes. Having different plants that have different work timing may help you spread your efforts and increase the number threshold also.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
it also depends on what stage of development they are in and what species. I have the time to care for hundreds of prebonsai that don't require as much work or if I have refined trees I may only have time for maybe 30-40 tops. Species makes a difference as trees like tridents and Japanese Maples take a lot of time to pinch out new growth. Its constant every day, twice a day each tree during the height of the growing season. Or Japanese Black Pines during refinement is a constant needle pluck, candle prune, needle pluck, wire every year throughout the year(as long as they are healthy of course)

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too many bonsai is the amount more than you're capable of caring for. Does that help?

Thanks for your feedback.... So the only consideration is being able to take care of them? Water & sunglight only or does this include actual improvement of each tree, advancement...? I have an intimate relationship with each one of my trees. I can tell you a story on just about each branch, when I last repotted, how long wire has been on and maybe even how much I paid. This is extremely important for me as my goal is not only enjoyment but also enhancement of each tree. I guess the question poses two considerations... You can have as many trees as you want as long as you are able to water all of them or you come to a conclusion that you have too much once they stop advancing...

Its interesting to get different perspective

James

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This makes me wonder, are there bonsai hoarders out there?

So far I have not met anyone who hoards plants but I do see a lot of people that collect an awful lot of Bonsai related items such as pots, tools, etc. I don't have space like I used to but I am planning a special indoor display that will require me to build in storage to the base for all the display related changes as they occur. No matter what if you are into it at all it takes a lot of "stuff" other then just plants. I do remember reading somewhere there is a 1000 acre private collection somewhere in China but there could be larger, never looked into it.

Grimmy

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it also depends on what stage of development they are in and what species. I have the time to care for hundreds of prebonsai that don't require as much work or if I have refined trees I may only have time for maybe 30-40 tops. Species makes a difference as trees like tridents and Japanese Maples take a lot of time to pinch out new growth. Its constant every day, twice a day each tree during the height of the growing season. Or Japanese Black Pines during refinement is a constant needle pluck, candle prune, needle pluck, wire every year throughout the year(as long as they are healthy of course)

Nathanbs in your example it sounds like you squared up that number base on the following priorities:

Health, Design Enhancement, Maintenance and Care

So basically than what I get from reading the feedback its unique to the individual... Further Its unique to the goals and priorities of that individual.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback.... So the only consideration is being able to take care of them? Water & sunglight only or does this include actual improvement of each tree, advancement...? I have an intimate relationship with each one of my trees. I can tell you a story on just about each branch, when I last repotted, how long wire has been on and maybe even how much I paid. This is extremely important for me as my goal is not only enjoyment but also enhancement of each tree. I guess the question poses two considerations... You can have as many trees as you want as long as you are able to water all of them or you come to a conclusion that you have too much once they stop advancing...

Its interesting to get different perspective

James

Im with you in that if we are talking bonsai then it would have to involve the constant enhancement not just keeping them alive. "Enhancement" is another good topic to discuss. What I consider to be enhancement may be very different from the next person.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Like some have said, you got to plan for refinement. Keep in mind that some grow faster than others so they require more frequent time, money, and effort to keep up with.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I accumulated over 200 potted trees and just over 300 in the ground and I am learning that as each tree develops its taking more and more of my time so I am constantly selling off my least favorite trees to accommodate my other trees needs

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So far I have not met anyone who hoards plants but I do see a lot of people that collect an awful lot of Bonsai related items such as pots, tools, etc. I don't have space like I used to but I am planning a special indoor display that will require me to build in storage to the base for all the display related changes as they occur. No matter what if you are into it at all it takes a lot of "stuff" other then just plants. I do remember reading somewhere there is a 1000 acre private collection somewhere in China but there could be larger, never looked into it.

Grimmy

I mean a 1000 trees... WOW!!! This must take an army to simply water... I mean I wonder how the "owner" of this collection is actually enjoying this on an intimate level... For me the intimacy involved is knowing that I cut the roots, I wired each branch, How I positioned the tree in its container...

For me simply looking at trees(1000) doesnt do it for me.I guess too many trees for me is 1000 lol

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like some have said, you got to plan for refinement. Keep in mind that some grow faster than others so they require more frequent time, money, and effort to keep up with.

KAEDE AND SATSUKI tell me about it...

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I mean a 1000 trees... WOW!!! This must take an army to simply water... I mean I wonder how the "owner" of this collection is actually enjoying this on an intimate level... For me the intimacy involved is knowing that I cut the roots, I wired each branch, How I positioned the tree in its container...

For me simply looking at trees(1000) doesnt do it for me.I guess too many trees for me is 1000 lol

he said 1000 acres which could mean hundreds of thousands of trees. Sounds too good to be true. maybe an acre with a 1000 trees ;)

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I accumulated over 200 potted trees and just over 300 in the ground and I am learning that as each tree develops its taking more and more of my time so I am constantly selling off my least favorite trees to accommodate my other trees needs

Besides the obvious: Care, Improvement, Maintenance fair to also consider the following?

Age?

Size of the tree?

Employed, unemployed, retired?

Health?

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
he said 1000 acres which could mean hundreds of thousands of trees. Sounds too good to be true. maybe an acre with a 1000 trees ;)

OOoooop lol Even worst if 1000 acres...

1000 acres of Pinus Thumberjii, Satsuki and or Kaedes

Too many trees lol

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Note that people who have this many trees may not even care for one tree. They may have an army doing it for them.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Besides the obvious: Care, Improvement, Maintenance fair to also consider the following?

Age?

Size of the tree?

Employed, unemployed, retired?

Health?

The older you get the harder it is to do things, an example is I am not that old retired early. I use a hydraulic cart for the large items as my back won't tolerate it. So yes for many those four elements come into play. Also though things like time are a huge consideration. At the old place I had a lot of stock but in order to go camping or travel I had to automate watering. I am doing the same thing here with over 100 LESS trees and will probably have 4 or 5 zones in the new system. I will have a concentration of better stock but I am not "married" to it and still like to experience life. So lifestyle is another "control".

Grimmy

Top Bottom