How many...have bonsai styled in ground with no plans of potting

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just curious...I have hardscape and would love to do one in one of the large boulders in my landscape. But if I could carve an area for planting in the rock...would it also need a hole for drainage? That could be difficult...but not unheard of.

Do any have bonsai in ground...with no plans of potting? Because my mind grasps it would be harder to keep small unless one uses a material that is to stay small...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just curious...I have hardscape and would love to do one in one of the large boulders in my landscape. But if I could carve an area for planting in the rock...would it also need a hole for drainage? That could be difficult...but not unheard of.

Do any have bonsai in ground...with no plans of potting? Because my mind grasps it would be harder to keep small unless one uses a material that is to stay small...

Drainage is needed...whether it is a hole at the bottom or just a natural crevice/crack where excess water can flow out. You can also just tilt it so it drains naturally then add a muck dam (w/ drain holes) so your soil won't erode.

You need a diamond drill bit to go through rock and make sure it is long enough to punch through if you have big boulders.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The definition of 'bonsai' is plant in tray so if its not in a pot it is not technically a bonsai.
That said, however, there are places in Japan and elsewhere that have trained trees in the landscaping. I see no reason you couldnt do something similar. Rather than try to drill a hole for draining, why not design a rocky area in your yard, plant a tree among the rocks and train it. Could be alot of fun to do.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a pine tree in my back yard that is there solely for its bonsai garden aesthetic. It will never be potted, but I am going to efforts to trim and maintain a form. It was planted in a root sock to give it some boundaries. But at some point that will give way to the inevitable. Then I will have my work cut out for me. Whoever buys this house from me one day will probably not take care of it and it will grow too tall and they'll cut it down.

I did surround it with big rocks and tiny alpine accent plants. It adds to the look if my presentation...Minnesota flower garden meets Bonsai garden.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The definition of 'bonsai' is plant in tray so if its not in a pot it is not technically a bonsai.
That said, however, there are places in Japan and elsewhere that have trained trees in the landscaping. I see no reason you couldnt do something similar. Rather than try to drill a hole for draining, why not design a rocky area in your yard, plant a tree among the rocks and train it. Could be alot of fun to do.

Very true...bonsai is a plant in tray. So a trained tree... ;)

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go to my blog...click on the backyard page. You can see the pine I'm working on. My wife calls it our Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. I put the largest ornament I could find and a string of lights on it for the winter!!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a pine tree in my back yard that is there solely for its bonsai garden aesthetic. It will never be potted, but I am going to efforts to trim and maintain a form. It was planted in a root sock to give it some boundaries. But at some point that will give way to the inevitable. Then I will have my work cut out for me. Whoever buys this house from me one day will probably not take care of it and it will grow too tall and they'll cut it down.

I did surround it with big rocks and tiny alpine accent plants. It adds to the look if my presentation...Minnesota flower garden meets Bonsai garden.

I would love to see a photo of it...a root sock. Never heard of one. But I imagine it contains the roots to a point.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to see a photo of it...a root sock. Never heard of one. But I imagine it contains the roots to a point.

A root sock is like heavy duty landscape material sewn into the shape of a pot. Nurseries use them to put trees in the ground and keep the roots in check.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For what it is worth:

Bonsai is the Japanese word for the art form which uses trees growing in pots.

Niwaki is the Japanese word for the art form which uses garden trees, growing in the ground, trained toward artistic sensibilities of the Japanese garden

In Japan both art forms mostly share the same artistic sensibilities, there are differences, but from a Western pedestrian view, the sense of both is quite similar.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Many of the trees at Elandan Gardens are planted on slabs or in hollows on the top of rocks.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Weigerts in South Florida has a couple Ficus he planted in rocks like this- very good looking trees! Most of his are...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 27

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Weigerts in South Florida has a couple Ficus he planted in rocks like this- very good looking trees! Most of his are...

Thanks Eric...yes, something like this! Though...I am thinking a weeping conifer. After seeing ones post and they had a weeping tamarack maybe it was? So maybe I need to learn how one creates a root over...on a large rock?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Unless it's bowl shaped and super hard- not porous - you won't need to worry about drainage planting on a rock. Usually there is a wall made of muck-peat moss and clay- around the edge to hold the soil in place- the water will drain through that. Most rocks are somewhat porous so water will drain through them. Also water will evaporate quickly from rock plantings. I've made 100s of rock plantings and have never drilled through a rock for drainage. You could also take a page from Hollywood and keep a tree in a large pot/box and hide it with stones grasses etc. Or group together several large rocks to create a "pot". Many ways to achieve what you're looking for.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unless it's bowl shaped and super hard- not porous - you won't need to worry about drainage planting on a rock. Usually there is a wall made of muck-peat moss and clay- around the edge to hold the soil in place- the water will drain through that. Most rocks are somewhat porous so water will drain through them. Also water will evaporate quickly from rock plantings. I've made 100s of rock plantings and have never drilled through a rock for drainage. You could also take a page from Hollywood and keep a tree in a large pot/box and hide it with stones grasses etc. Or group together several large rocks to create a "pot". Many ways to achieve what you're looking for.

Thanks Bob...we vacation around hiking trails...and are always amazed at trees growing from rock. With having hardscape and large boulders/rocks. It just makes me possibly interested in doing something small scale in our own yard. (Glad to hear you don't need to drill a hole in rock)

Just tossing this idea around...definitely a possibility!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just tossing this idea around...definitely a possibility!

You can do anything! :D The only thing I have to add is that doing is far different then maintaining. A lot of us have auto watering, misting, and people to care for things while we are busy...

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can do anything! :D The only thing I have to add is that doing is far different then maintaining. A lot of us have auto watering, misting, and people to care for things while we are busy...

Grimmy

Well...I don't work...other than taking care of a few things in our home office. (Husband is self employed) so I have time. I've limited my mental number of tropical bonsai...due to wintering. Zone appropriate bonsai...is my goal but not overly concerned with mass numbers simply because I do not wish to become overwhelmed... I want to enjoy this hobby without it becoming more than I can manage...I've not a goal to show...but to just learn...and enjoy the process. Just watching things bud out...and bloom I find fascinating...I find in bonsai it's more noticeable since your more focused on the structure and all sorts of the aspect of bonsai itself.

I actually enjoy the time I spend in the yard. Itching for spring...and getting into planting some trees about that I have already ordered from my local nursery.

Top Bottom