How many people practice bonsai in North America?

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Just curious if anyone has any rough numbers of the amount of practitioners in North America? Cheers!

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
To clarify, I'm looking for overall numbers of bonsai practitioners in North America. Not the number of those who are on bonsainut. Good to know there is at least one mike!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No one has those numbers.
There is no bonsai registry so it is impossible to know for sure.

Anyone have any idea how many members ABS has?

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I recognize its impossible to do a count of every head, which is why I inquired about rough numbers. Any realistic estimate would be interesting to know. The ABS membership would be a good start, and they don't appear to list it anywhere. I'm just asking because it seems like a very small group. I think I read somewhere that there are around a million practitioners worldwide, which is indeed very small. Thanks for the input and suggestion paradox!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How much people live in North America? Maybe 0.5% of that?

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It seems that 5.1% of the population of the earth lives in North America, and if you were to extrapolate that percentage from a million it's 51,000. Not a bad start. Thanks Cypress! Anyone have any other suggestions or insights?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It seems that 5.1% of the population of the earth lives in North America, and if you were to extrapolate that percentage from a million it's 51,000. Not a bad start. Thanks Cypress! Anyone have any other suggestions or insights?

Too high. In Houston, we have 100 members in the bonsai society. Generously assume that there are 5x that number who do it, but don't join the club. That's 600 in a city of 4 million. That's closer to 0.015%.

Scott

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
.015% of the population of north america is around 79,000 so that may be closing in on a correct assumption even if that number is higher than the 51,000 stated earlier. Thanks for the input markyscott!

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
also interestingly enough 0.015% of the earths population is around 1,185,000 so the 1 million worldwide might be accurate if we can explode the data out from houston to the world.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
.015% of the population of north america is around 79,000 so that may be closing in on a correct assumption even if that number is higher than the 51,000 stated earlier. Thanks for the input markyscott!

I think that it might be fair to extrapolate the 0.015% to the fraction of the US population living in urban areas. I'd be tempted to guess that interest is lower in rural US and in North America outside of the US.

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
thats fair markyscott, although i would assume more people in rural areas are during it simply because of the outdoor space, maybe that assumption is incorrect? Good insight Vin. Thanks for the nod sorce! Cheers!

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
its seems around 80 percent or so live in an urban area so that brings us to the number 63,480 ignoring all others.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Too high. In Houston, we have 100 members in the bonsai society. Generously assume that there are 5x that number who do it, but don't join the club. That's 600 in a city of 4 million. That's closer to 0.015%.

Scott

This actually isnt a bad way to guestimate. In Nassau and Suffolk Counties, NY, the total population is 2.7 million. Of the 3 clubs there is probably 100 people total so we would have about 600 for 2.7 million.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah....

Just count all the members here....
Minus about what....20 that we run off?

No one else matters!

Sorce

Top Bottom