How many people practice bonsai in North America?

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There are maybe 30 people at a typical Pittsburgh society meeting. I think the full roster is more like 100. If you assume there are another 100 practicing in the metro area that would place us near .01%.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Why is this important? I guess it would be if you had a business supplying a service or product to the North American Bonsai community, but other then that.....

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
whfarro - it's not necessarily important. I could grow trees all day long and not really give a hoot who else does it. it's interesting, and that's why i am asking the question. just curious how many of us there are, because in my experience it seems like a very small club. by the numbers thrown around here an incredibly small club. you'd be hard pressed to find a more marginal activity it seems! Perhaps I may inquire why ask why? Does everything asked need to be important? Who determines what is important? This is supposed to be fun right? So let's have fun, and find interest where we may.

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
whfarro - nothing wrong with that!

I appreciate everyone sharing their views and knowledge on this and other topics here and elsewhere. I would say since it does appear to be such a small community that is a vital component. :)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

If I ain't right....

Ask @Mellow Mullet he's Fucking excellent with numbers!

Sorce

Thanks, sorce, after all, I am a lab technician.

According to my advanced calculations and applying the hyperbole factor, I come up with 79358218973435 practicing bonsai artists in North America, plus or minus, 642856623468.

John

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
whfarro - it's not necessarily important. I could grow trees all day long and not really give a hoot who else does it. it's interesting, and that's why i am asking the question. just curious how many of us there are, because in my experience it seems like a very small club. by the numbers thrown around here an incredibly small club. you'd be hard pressed to find a more marginal activity it seems! Perhaps I may inquire why ask why? Does everything asked need to be important? Who determines what is important? This is supposed to be fun right? So let's have fun, and find interest where we may.

It's not important. It's just kind of interesting that someone wants to put a number on such a diffuse set of people.

Given the mostly solitary nature of bonsai, "bonsai hermits" are not uncommon (I think they may be the most common). More than a few of my bonsai friends consciously avoid the 'net and clubs. They're in it for the trees only and when they want to talk bonsai, they do it IRL with other hermits.
They are the "mountain men" of bonsai, coming in from the cold only when they need supplies or when a good show is around. Other than that they don't say much. Most of them have decent to spectacular trees.

Another group of bonsai enthusiasts comes and goes at will, delving into other projects and interests, only to return years, or even decades later.

Another group is doing something they don't know of as bonsai. Model railroad hobbyists, for instance, use real miniature trees in garden railroads. Those trees are pruned and kept tiny but not for "bonsai," but because they would look weird next to small model trains if left untended. If you ask their owners about bonsai, they will say they are train enthusiasts, not bonsai hobbyists...Trough and container gardeners are also doing bonsai in one form or another, too.

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I find that when I enjoy something I like to know how many other people enjoy it at well. That may quench your interest in my interest. As for the hermits, I think we have accounted for them in the calculations above. :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as they're accounted for in the calculations, then...:)

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The numeric value of those in bonsai is unimportant to me.
I do bonsai most selfishly; I do it for myself. It is a challenge of
my botanical AND my aesthetic skills. I grow plants in pots as a
different matter, nursery liners, BUT bonsai is for me. They are
the one in a hundred that has an interesting twist or beautiful
melding with the soil--also reason I root in lots of 102, always
allow for "gotta keep ya" & "damn you died"--
they are simply put
MINE!

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Armetisius - I hope it's understood that by inquiring about how many people are involved in bonsai I have in no way questioned why you personally participate, nor present any threat to your doing so. We all have our reasons for participating and I'd imagine they are largely personal and individually gratifying.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Armetisius - I hope it's understood that by inquiring about how many people are involved in bonsai I have in no way questioned why you personally participate, nor present any threat to your doing so. We all have our reasons for participating and I'd imagine they are largely personal and individually gratifying.
Solange,
I definitely didn't take any offense nor did I wish to be convey any.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are probably less than you think.
Some of us may have multiple personalities on here.

Sure, I think Sorce has four, or five just under the one handle! :)
Gathering data can be a useful pursuit. Someone may get inspired to find ways to attract more people to contribute to the knowledge base, or just share inspirational work. Others may decide they could compete in the bonsai supplies market, making access easier for all of us.

Top Bottom