How many trees have you lost/ thrown out/given up on?

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I'm a little past my first year of bonsai, and was just curious from the time you started how many trees you've killed, or given up on and more or less threw away due to design problems. I've heard a lot of people on here say developing branch structure is the "easy part", but it's definitely been a challenging experience for me. Learning how fragile a certain tree's bark is, knowing how a fully hydrated branch vs a dehydrated branch bends for wiring, not having collateral branch damage while performing a trunk chop or while using a dremel.....

I have some trees I'm really happy with so far, and others that I've made some bad mistakes where I'm not sure if there is any return for them design wise. So far I haven't killed any trees, but definitely some I'm considering tossing or giving away.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve killed my fair share back in the days of ignorance and youth. I don’t throw trees in the trash ….. I may put them in the ground though. When choosing your material you should first like it as a species for its beauty, whether or not it’s a bonsai. I’ve had trees that after years of development I decided it will never be a great tree and sell it or give it away. As you develop your skills and aesthetics your ability to recognize the difference should become apparent.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Frankly, I've lost count. I started out with a bunch of Home Depot and nursery stock that I absolutely butchered and they mostly died. Very little of what I collected lived. Other nursery stock ended up being planted in the ground as landscape when I realized the bonsai game wasn't worth the candle on these. My sacrificial lambs to the gods of bonsai knowledge.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Dozens. Part of bonsai is killing trees and turning over portions of your collection over time.
If I didn’t have to ship, I’d easily sell 1/3 of my trees today and buy others. A few go in and out of the ground/growing boxes as well.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m in my 4th year at this, but like to have many projects going. I’m averaging a good dozen dead a year.
I should note that I often buy clearance plants that may have existing issues. 🤣….that’s my excuse anyways!

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive probably lost about 20 trees since I started last year. Sound like a lot but I went pretty hard on collecting my first year. I dug trees from early spring all the way through fall.

This spring I had 150+ trees wake up and the only losses from winter were about 6 little spruce, a birch and 2 mugo and a thuja my sister got for me at home despot. The trees from my sister probably couldn't take a winter in zone 2, I learned something. The others I lost were due to my own inexperience, I made mistakes. Not enough roots and too much foliage, collecting at the wrong time of year without proper aftercare, poor substrate, trying to dig a tree that is uncollectable but I dug it anyways etc. I killed them, but I've gotten better at knowing what I can get away with. I'm now a lot more selective about what I dig but I still make mistakes. This year I've dug about 20 trees and lost one larch. I collected it later than I should have, it was in poor rocky soil, I should have been more careful, I should have left it for next year or just left it alone. I'm still figuring out collecting larch, I'm 6/7 collecting larch so far. I'll get better with more experience.

I'll probably end up getting rid of a good portion of the tres I dug my first year by planting them somewhere. I was just digging anything and everything figuring out what I could get away with and learning along the way. Many of them are small insignificant trees with little to no potential.

All things considered I think my success rate is still very high for the limited experience I have taking care of and collecting trees. I have not bought a tree yet and I'm pushing 90% survival rate. Counting my seedings and cuttings I started this year I'm pushing 500 trees. I have to get rid of some, eventually. Who knows though, I'm only in my second year and stuff happens. It's not a very hospitable climate with temperatures ranging from -45 through 90 in a year. Mother nature might take care of some trees for me.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My count is impossible because I do so many cuttings and seeds. If a cutting dies I take it as a loss. If a seedlings doesn't germinate I don't count it as a loss, but if it grows and dies I do.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Killed dozens over the years. Sold 20-25 trees along the way as well...Deaths continue even for me. Weather is making it very difficult to get an accurate take on what a given tree needs, particularly in the winter. What worked for wintering 10 or even five, years ago can fail some trees now...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Killed dozens over the years. Sold 20-25 trees along the way as well...Deaths continue even for me. Weather is making it very difficult to get an accurate take on what a given tree needs, particularly in the winter. What worked for wintering 10 or even five, years ago can fail some trees now...
Some might even say the same about summer the last few years....

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are we talking just killed out right or given up and started over or move on to someone else?
Killed out right - many- possibly every time I try a new species.
Moved on or started over because of poor initial styling choices- again many.
I’m still learning and with that comes experiments that may or may not work.
The good news is branches will grow back.
It might take a long time to recover what was lost though- sometimes it’s worth it- sometimes it not.
Sumo comes to mind when I fail. Lol

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weather is making it very difficult to get an accurate take on what a given tree needs, particularly in the winter. What worked for wintering 10 or even five, years ago can fail some trees now...
This has been the case with me as well.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dozens. Part of bonsai is killing trees and turning over portions of your collection over time.
If I didn’t have to ship, I’d easily sell 1/3 of my trees today and buy others. A few go in and out of the ground/growing boxes as well.
If you ever want to unload any cork bark jbp paying shipping is no problem with me.

DavidBoren

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Killed my Elderberry. Butchered my Locust, but the jury is still out on whether or not I killed it. Killed some tropical tree I never learned the name of. In the process of killing my daughter's little pine tree... but hey, mostly dead is still a little bit alive!

In fact, the only one I have really kept alive is my Ash tree. Just got my Juniper/Thula, so I haven't really had a proper opportunity to kill it, yet.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess I am feeling pretty good about myself. About a dozen in the 6-7yrs I've been trying. (Not counting cuttings) I have about 50- 60 live ones in pots today. Only a dozen or so nice ish ones. 2 I killed still devastate me today tho.

Top Bottom