How many unused pots do you have?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Inspiration for a tree can come from a pot, too. I often look at a pot and can envision the perfect tree for it. Then, that goal can be worked towards.
I’m trying to stay away from that rabbit hole, or I’ll be like you nuts. I know myself.
0 trees need a pot
3 pots owned (one was blue and came with a tree, which I heard people here can relate too...)

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m trying to stay away from that rabbit hole, or I’ll be like you nuts. I know myself.
0 trees need a pot
3 pots owned (one was blue and came with a tree, which I heard people here can relate too...)
Uh I’m thinking you are in the rabbit hole and just haven’t reached the trap quite yet. It’s coming you’ll see.........SNAP goes the trap!!!!..... LOL you’ll see.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Damn Dave, I dunno whether to be impressed or worried?
Is there a woman living in your house?
Uhmmmm, my wife lives here.... and she is a woman, so....
FWIW, the yard and the garage are my domains... she works longer hours then me and can’t concern herself with them.... and that may possibly contribute in a small way to the sheer numbers of trees and pots I own😎

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Uhmmmm, my wife lives here.... and she is a woman, so....
FWIW, the yard and the garage are my domains... she works longer hours then me and can’t concern herself with them.... and that may possibly contribute in a small way to the sheer numbers of trees and pots I own😎
Haha!
I'm just messing with you buddy.....but my wife would kill me if I had pots hiding behind the chairs on the deck.....in that case, mad respect!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm thinking I have around 100 or so that are not in use - mostly newer American. My goal is to get most of them out of the boxes (and display cabinets) and on to the benches with something in them to start building patina. I don't want to wait for the perfect pairing to start building age on a pot, so I'm starting to get raw stock and accent plants into many of my pots as place holders for better trees. Once the perfect tree comes along then I'll do a repot to free it up for the tree. The only ones I won't age are the Roy metallic pots - those will stay crispy for future shows.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have quite a few empty pots. Maybe 30 or so. Since I got over the novice phobia of having to have every tree in a pot, I seem to have a lot of extras now. It’s kind of silly to stick a tree that is 10 years away from being show ready in a nice pot and then leave it outside for several years.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Haha!
I'm just messing with you buddy.....but my wife would kill me if I had pots hiding behind the chairs on the deck.....in that case, mad respect!
They got moved there 6 weeks ago from underneath a large oak that was eventually cut down... Right before my knee surgery... haven’t had a chance to move them back.

Reaction score
I have met a local retired couple who I give cheap pots to. They sell trees for holiday money and pots are their biggest expense. Biggest haul so far was 12 chinese pots that I got at garage sales, came with a tree, was given etc. Makes me feel good to help them out

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make what we need. No cost.

Older friend in the US also taught us how not to
accumilate.
So now it is only what you need.

The cash stays in the bank and earns interest.
Good Day
Anthony

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’m not really sure. I make ‘em, so there’s always 5 or 20 that I say I’m going to save for myself, but then there’s always another that comes out well and I sell one of the keepers.

So pots that I bought that are currently empty? About 30 I guess, not counting the small box of mame pots that I keep for fun. I don’t do trees that small, but they are so effin’ cute.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried telling myself: "When a given tree is ready for a nice pot, then go looking specifically for one." I'll wait for you to stop laughing at the absurdity of that idea.
That's what I do.
Cuts down on expense and saves space.
Of course I do have a few sitting around idle too.
Mainly ones where the pot made it but the tree didn't.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I used to buy pots here and there and now I have a lot of pots lying around with no tree for them.
I need another tree like I need a hole in the head. If anything, I need to thin them out.
So now I wait until I have a tree that needs a pot then find one that fits it.

Top Bottom