How much die back should I expect for crepe myrtle?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Can I shave more of the cuts to improve the taper or should I leave the little bit I have on them for die back?
CrepeMyrtleBonsai1.jpg

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wait and see those cuts will have a good bit of die back based on the large crepe myrtle I have. If you cut more now the chance is it will die back farther than you want. As it is that top left may die back in a way that will make work. Next time might want to leave the left larger branch 3 inches taller for a year or 2 till the trunk sent out branches. If you got some smaller branches sprouting on the trunk to keep it alive you would have more control of the die back. The right side will probably die back to the main trunk line. The die back will be pear shaped with the skinny end towards the ground.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Wait and see those cuts will have a good bit of die back based on the large crepe myrtle I have. If you cut more now the chance is it will die back farther than you want. As it is that top left may die back in a way that will make work. Next time might want to leave the left larger branch 3 inches taller for a year or 2 till the trunk sent out branches. If you got some smaller branches sprouting on the trunk to keep it alive you would have more control of the die back. The right side will probably die back to the main trunk line. The die back will be pear shaped with the skinny end towards the ground.
Thank you.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You now know how far a crepe myrtle will die back.

Once the new shoots have gotten woody enough that bumping them won't break them off you can go ahead and get in there and clean up the dead portions of the stubs you left behind.
Since the second growing season will end soon, I'm thinking about leaving it alone until spring.
Come spring time I'm thinking about the following:
1. Pruning off branches at the top cut leaving just one to force it to become the main trunk.
2. Knowing how crepe myrtle behave, I am pruning off the branches at the base where I already have good roots while leaving the ones on the weak side alone. I think this will develop the roots on the weak side, much like I usually see with crepe myrtles all around me. Once the roots are all even I will prune all the branches off the base. I think this will take only about a year given how fast the crepe myrtle grows.
3. I'll wait until I see how the trunk settles before cleaning up around the cut. I'm thinking year 2 or 3.

Your thoughts?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would do #2 first, if any of those basal suckers gets too dominant it will draw vigor away from the main trunk, to the point where main trunk could be seriously weakened. Only leave a couple to maybe 3 of the smaller ones on the weak side of the nebari. Get rid of the strongest. Too many root suckers and you will risk the health of the main trunk.

I would also make sure all the surface roots are covered by at least 1/4/ to 1/2 inch by media. Exposed too soon they can dry out and die off. Keep them covered until they are significant in diameter or old enough to be less susceptible to drying off. You can expose them later, maybe 3 to 5 years from now, but for the time being keep the surface roots covered.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would do #2 first, if any of those basal suckers gets too dominant it will draw vigor away from the main trunk, to the point where main trunk could be seriously weakened. Only leave a couple to maybe 3 of the smaller ones on the weak side of the nebari. Get rid of the strongest. Too many root suckers and you will risk the health of the main trunk.

I would also make sure all the surface roots are covered by at least 1/4/ to 1/2 inch by media. Exposed too soon they can dry out and die off. Keep them covered until they are significant in diameter or old enough to be less susceptible to drying off. You can expose them later, maybe 3 to 5 years from now, but for the time being keep the surface roots covered.
Thank you!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

I've prune off all the basal suckers saved two. They will be trimmed this winter when the leaves drop. I think I know what the new leader would be. Is that too soon.
20181017_170239.jpg

Top Bottom