how much do you spend on a decent to good tree??

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wait, Gary is on this forum now? That's great to hear

I wish but no.

A fellow forum mate is generous enough to offer (unsolicited) help. Not a simple task since he drove 30-40 minutes each way TWICE! :eek: Took pictures, text them to me (more than a dozen trees with prices and recommendation/comments), and wait for my choice. Go back to pick-up the trees, pack and ship. I am floored by his generosity and forever grateful...not for the trees but for the act/gesture.

To think that we hardly interacted here or anywhere before. I hope & pray everyone be blessed by similar act of goodness and friendship. This is how you build a community. :)

He wanted to remain anonymous so I will respect that. You know who you are... THANK YOU!!! :)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have always wanted to make my own trees basically from scratch. Either collected material, or nursery trees cut down and worked into shape... I guess for me the hobby of it. The actual act of propagating your own trees, growing them yourself and creating bonsai from them is what has always been the appeal of the hobby to me personally. Also, I have never been able to afford to spend a bunch of money on my trees at one time.... So I was kind of limited to buying younger trees and growing them out myself.

As of right now I have never spent more than $100 for any tree. This leaves me in a place where I have learned a lot about developing young trees and after about ten years of doing this I am just starting to get some trees that are ready to be worked on/ actually put into Bonsai trays and pruned with the mind set of increasing ramification instead of growing them out to increase trunk girth... I expect now that I CAN afford to spend a little more I might do that in the near future and try to get some better stock, but right now I am enjoying making my own cuttings, planting seeds, and digging up the trees I have had in the ground for the past few years.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have always wanted to make my own trees basically from scratch. Either collected material, or nursery trees cut down and worked into shape... I guess for me the hobby of it. The actual act of propagating your own trees, growing them yourself and creating bonsai from them is what has always been the appeal of the hobby to me personally. Also, I have never been able to afford to spend a bunch of money on my trees at one time.... So I was kind of limited to buying younger trees and growing them out myself.

As of right now I have never spent more than $100 for any tree. This leaves me in a place where I have learned a lot about developing young trees and after about ten years of doing this I am just starting to get some trees that are ready to be worked on/ actually put into Bonsai trays and pruned with the mind set of increasing ramification instead of growing them out to increase trunk girth... I expect now that I CAN afford to spend a little more I might do that in the near future and try to get some better stock, but right now I am enjoying making my own cuttings, planting seeds, and digging up the trees I have had in the ground for the past few years.

That is what I usually recommend to do when starting! Time and patience and learning what lives or dies under your care is highly relevant and the money you save not loosing expensive specimens allows you to enjoy it a LOT more.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since I cannot afford really expensive nice trees...I cheat.

For example...I bought large junipers w/ decent trunk and movement locally. Also bought several small & cheap shimpaku with nice foliage. Grafted and hopefully take advantage of the best features they both have to offer for a lot less. Did I mention how much fun I had doing this? :D

I have 3 of these going right now for a lot less than one decent (but much smaller) shimpaku. If but one succeeds, I think I am ahead of the game than buying a high end stock...that is, if I can even find one.

I just hope it works. :D

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The most Ive spent on one tree is $260 for a JBP pre-bonsai from a bonsai nursery. If you want to count the travel cost to get to that bonsai nursery, it was a bit more (5 hour drive one way and a ferry ride).

I have 2-3 trees in the $100-$150 range. Everything else is less than $100 mainly because I am still learning how to keep things alive, repotting and the basics of pruning etc. Also because what is mostly available to me is cheaper nursery trees.

Right now, I cant see myself spending more than $500 for a tree and I still am not brave enough to spend that yet.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right now, I cant see myself spending more than $500 for a tree and I still am not brave enough to spend that yet.

I think my advantage is that I do not fear handling any tree (that is mine). I treat the small/cheapest ones the same way I treat my most expensive/oldest/nicest (not exclusive) tree. I try to find whatever I think is the best and go for it. It I am mistaken & destroyed/killed the tree, I may feel sorry then move on to the next.

Honestly, so far, my only regret is not doing more (not chopping harder) than I did on some trees. Can you believe that?

In a way I agree with you. If I cannot be me with a tree...that will be the main reason for not buying it (aside from budget).

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This thread is kinda eye opening as there is definetly no rules on the topic.
I think I might buy a 100-200 dollar tree to keep learning, and start planting really young plants either from seed or a year old plant and some airlayered maples.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This thread is kinda eye opening as there is definetly no rules on the topic.
I think I might buy a 100-200 dollar tree to keep learning, and start planting really young plants either from seed or a year old plant and some airlayered maples.

One must consider location when it comes to pricing. Seems here overall anything with the term "Bonsai" attached to it is more expensive then in many other countries.

Grimmy

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is what I usually recommend to do when starting! Time and patience and learning what lives or dies under your care is highly relevant and the money you save not loosing expensive specimens allows you to enjoy it a LOT more.

Grimmy

Hi Grim.. Good advice. I was wondering when we are going to see some bonsai from you. ;) I remember you saying about 1 1/2 years ago that you were reading up and absorbing information before you actually started. I think it is safe to say you are at least ready to have a starter tree. ;)

Rob

Reaction score
I have material that I have spent well over a grand for...
I have material I have spent less than five dollars for...
I have material I have dug for...
But, I think the question should be reversed...
"How great of a tree do you have, that you spent very little for ???"
And I don't mean that you found some awesome deal, but that you
yourself turned from a piece of crap, to something nice.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am just starting out. But if a better tree helps me learn faster, well I am up for that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have material that I have spent well over a grand for...
I have material I have spent less than five dollars for...
I have material I have dug for...
But, I think the question should be reversed...
"How great of a tree do you have, that you spent very little for ???"
And I don't mean that you found some awesome deal, but that you
yourself turned from a piece of crap, to something nice.

Better yet.... understand that a piece of crap is generally always a piece of crap and just forego that stage.

Do you know why most of the trees the professionals work with look amazing... they were amazing when they got them.... some aspect of them bespoke of being worthy, then their artistry and talent made it into something great.

Nice isn't really the target I'm aiming for... great sounds more like it, even if it takes my lifetime to achieve it.

Kindly,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In point of fact... an example of something that bespoke of beauty waiting to be brought out. It was started 20 years ago by Daniel, and over the course of many years got to me... still not quite there.... and years later... on it's way to being a beauty. I didn't have to grow that from a seed... someone did... and that's appreciated by me... but I'm the one who turned it into something fine. I don't feel less for not having started it from seed or crap.

I think I picked up the tree for about $150... in 2009.

V

Attachments

• Japanese_Larch52012.jpg
    Japanese_Larch52012.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 81
  • Japanese_Larch_back52012.jpg
    Japanese_Larch_back52012.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 70
  • JapaneseLarch2010.jpg
    JapaneseLarch2010.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Reaction score
Better yet.... understand that a piece of crap is generally always a piece of crap and just forego that stage.

Do you know why most of the trees the professionals work with look amazing... they were amazing when they got them.... some aspect of them bespoke of being worthy, then their artistry and talent made it into something great.

Nice isn't really the target I'm aiming for... great sounds more like it, even if it takes my lifetime to achieve it.

Kindly,

Victrinia

Hey Vick...
You kinda missed the point, That turning a piece of Great material into a Great tree
is just plain ol' "Monkey" work... and should anyone actually be surprised that it turns
out to be, well... Great ???

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Vick...
You kinda missed the point, That turning a piece of Great material into a Great tree
is just plain ol' "Monkey" work... and should anyone actually be surprised that it turns
out to be, well... Great ???

Lol... if you think turning a tree around the bend from being potential to potential realized is monkey work bro.... that's an incredibly shortsighted thing to say... but beyond that, I took your challenge literally... show a piece of crap you turned into something nice. I don't think I misunderstood that. So instead I showed a tree which was already good, and showed how it was taken to a higher level. My only point being that proving that you can make a crap tree look like a mimicry of a good tree, doesn't make it a good tree... it's often still crap.... so go with something good to begin with and you get better results.

And there's no monkey business in the skill set it takes to accomplish that work... ;)

V

Reaction score
Lol... if you think turning a tree around the bend from being potential to potential realized is monkey work bro.... that's an incredibly shortsighted thing to say... but beyond that, I took your challenge literally... show a piece of crap you turned into something nice. I don't think I misunderstood that. So instead I showed a tree which was already good, and showed how it was taken to a higher level. My only point being that proving that you can make a crap tree look like a mimicry of a good tree, doesn't make it a good tree... it's often still crap.... so go with something good to begin with and you get better results.

And there's no monkey business in the skill set it takes to accomplish that work... ;)

V

If you say so...
I will still take my piece of crap trees over my non piece of crap
Trees anyday !!!
They so far have taught me more, and have allowed me the ability
To try new techniques I would have never been able to do with
Material that didn't need such persuasion...

Curious though... where this land of really good trees is.
Or if it actually exists... every time I see a vid of someone like
Bjorn style a tree, he tells the viewer that the tree has been work
For very many years to have got it to the state it is where he is going
To work on it... I guess, even the trees he works on must of been
Crap at one point in time as well...
I am sure I won't get to many thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you say so...
I will still take my piece of crap trees over my non piece of crap
Trees anyday !!!
They so far have taught me more, and have allowed me the ability
To try new techniques I would have never been able to do with
Material that didn't need such persuasion...

Curious though... where this land of really good trees is.
Or if it actually exists... every time I see a vid of someone like
Bjorn style a tree, he tells the viewer that the tree has been work
For very many years to have got it to the state it is where he is going
To work on it... I guess, even the trees he works on must of been
Crap at one point in time as well...
I am sure I won't get to many thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Alright... I have to call you out on something man.... I went hunting through your threads to find your crap trees... and all I can say is I didn't find them. I found a lot of very good trees with great bones and potential, some outstandingly so... with nary a stinky piece of offal to be found. So what gives...?

Maybe we have different definitions of the word crap?

We must... because the only thing crappy about your threads was the lack of response to an obviously good eye for material, and enough sensitivity to be able to do something good with it without sacrificing the nature of the tree itself.

As for the land of good trees... you'd be worthy of being taken there if it were mine to share, and if you didn't live in the south where they would die. I have walked in the garden of the gods, been in awe, and come home with the treasures it would yield. I wouldn't say that to just anyone... so take it for the compliment it is.

Give yourself a break... your trees aren't crap. And if all you've shared is your crap trees... please entertain me with your non-crap ones. I for one would make sure I commented on that. Welcome to the world of working on good trees.... doing interesting things.... and getting little to no response because people only seem to have something to say to the poor guy that thought a shari could circumnavigate the trunk. Most people don't feel incredibly clever commenting on trees that are going down the right path, so they say nothing as often as not. I for one am not afraid to tell you thank you for adding some signal to the noise.

V

P.S. I'll be sending you a friend request... I hope you'll take it. It allows me to see what your up to in my feed, and I would enjoy that. :cool:

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well since horticultural falls into play...I would suggest something your willing to lose if you make error in caring for it. For anything that your wishing...to spend large dollars on and would hurt to lose that in $$$...I would suggest getting a small one...see if you can give it proper horticultural needs...if it thrives...start saving a nest egg for the dream tree. Knowing that you will be able to properly care for it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interestingly I have always found larger ones easier and less particular than small ones. I only ever seem to fret about them. lol

V

Top Bottom