How much shade for osmanthus heterophyllus?

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Up until recently, I had my o. heterophyllus indoors under an SF-1000 with a couple tropicals, where it pretty much got no growth for months. I moved it into the shade of one of those GE grow bulbs, and I saw new growth the next day and every day since.

I solved my issue, but I'm wondering how much light it actually needs. Should it be under brighter light for a portion of the day? Was it temporary, and it'll want bright light at some point later in the year? Is it in too much shade now?

Pics from today attached, it's usually on that shelf behind. I am indoors and still in "please don't kill it" mode. I do use an acidic fert as I saw suggested in a thread.

Attachments

• 290289500_1654227924962178_4486201216907970779_n.jpg
    290289500_1654227924962178_4486201216907970779_n.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 291059306_2060844390766069_5297606026253303883_n.jpg
    291059306_2060844390766069_5297606026253303883_n.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 28

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Did the other trees not have any growth under that same bulb?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thus far I am only familiar with Osmanthus in the landscape. I have a couple cultivars that get a few hours of direct sun and I am fairly certain they would like more.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a dwarf osmanthus. It spent the winter inside under lights and is happily living outside.

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did the other trees not have any growth under that same bulb?
I have a new gmelina philippensis under the same light that has regrown all its leaves after a big root pruning a week ago. I’m planning on moving it to the brighter light soon.

Sounds like the osmanthus should be able to handle the light then. Maybe a heat thing, the new growth quickly turned brown each time. I’ll work on it, thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe a heat thing, the new growth quickly turned brown each time
You probably should have mentioned this in the op. You made it sound like the plant wouldn't break dormancy whereas it has been attempting to grow all along. Maybe it was a bit too close to the bulb.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Dont think is a species that would suit indoor growing very well, you cant give it some direct sun?
Mine did fine under lights over the winter but is growing much better outside.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a new gmelina philippensis under the same light that has regrown all its leaves after a big root pruning a week ago. I’m planning on moving it to the brighter light soon.

Sounds like the osmanthus should be able to handle the light then. Maybe a heat thing, the new growth quickly turned brown each time. I’ll work on it, thanks!
I did see in your pics what looks like a baseboard electric heater behind your shelves. Has that been active recently?

If so, THAT could be your heat problem. It could also be a humidity issue. The air tends to be dryer indoors where there's air conditioning.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
It should be outside in natural light -why keep an outdoor hardy plant indoors?!!
There are plenty of well adapted plants for indoor growing so why make your life unnecessarily complicated? 🙃

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine is a large one in a three gallon pot. It stayed outside with very little protection.
Mine is much smaller and would not survive our winters outside.

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have an outside to put any of my plants unfortunately, but I'm trying to still do what I can. Baseboard heater has not been active recently, sounds like too close to the light then.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have an outside to put any of my plants unfortunately, but I'm trying to still do what I can. Baseboard heater has not been active recently, sounds like too close to the light then.
Not an uncommon problem for many.
If you can find a space for the whole setup nearer a window, that will help considerably.

I don't know anything about osmanthus, but I am the guy here who likes to see people pull off the seemingly impossible.
Do you know any of the specs on your lights? Those brands make many different styles and types. Most of the time there will be a set of numbers, maybe a graph, on the side of the box that give information about the quality of light. One of them will be PAR/PPF. If not, there should at least be something that says color temperature, or at the very least wattage.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keeping outdoors plants inside is never going to be successfully a long term proposition.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Keeping outdoors plants inside is never going to be successfully a long term proposition.
Probably not, but we can give it a fighting chance maybe.
Worst case scenario, we educate someone and they have better success on their next tree.

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not an uncommon problem for many.
If you can find a space for the whole setup nearer a window, that will help considerably.

I don't know anything about osmanthus, but I am the guy here who likes to see people pull off the seemingly impossible.
Do you know any of the specs on your lights? Those brands make many different styles and types. Most of the time there will be a set of numbers, maybe a graph, on the side of the box that give information about the quality of light. One of them will be PAR/PPF. If not, there should at least be something that says color temperature, or at the very least wattage.
They get decent indirect light from an east facing window, but I'd rather keep them out of the kitchen which does get good west light.

The grow light was about 6-7" away from the top of the tree. At 12" and 25% output, it would have seen around 75-160 PPFD, so ~4x as much at 6" if my math is right? I only have a couple more inches I can raise the light, so we may just have to deal with it for the time being.
Hopefully I'm not outdoors-less long term.

Top Bottom