How much solution?

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The directions on my box of fertilizer (Miracle Gro) tell me how concentrated to make
the solution for potted plants. The directions don't, however, describe how much of the
solution to use. I have mostly 2 gallon and 3 gallon potensai stock. Most grow in a substrate of equal parts 1/8" to 1/4" crushed granite, pine bark, and turface.

Is there some formula that I should use - for example 1/2 cup of liquid solution for each gallon of the container in which the plant grows?

Because the solution runs out so quickly, I can't tell how much solution is sufficient. In regular potting soil, it's more clear as to when the soil is soaking up and becoming saturated with the fertilizer solution.

c.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water with the solution until it drains from the bottom. There is no correct one-time "dosage" with it. Once it starts running off and out of the soil, the soil is saturated with the solution. Additional watering with it won't do any more immediate good/harm. However, if you water with the solution once the soil has started to dry out, that could lead to problems...

So, water with the solution ONCE until it starts draining away from the bottom of the pot. Stop. Water without the solution as needed until the next time you want to fertilize..

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Im glad I stumbled across this, thanks for the info!

Will B.

Top Bottom