How much weight should I give to endless clouds and rain?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The Sacramento, CA area has just completed its wettest February ever. We have future storms backing up and there seems to be no end in sight.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/95648:4:US

I started repotting in January during a brief glimpse of sun that I....thought... might be coming to stay. It didn't.
The repotted trees seem to be okay, but I'm not potting others due to uncertainty of whether I should wait til the sun ACTUALLY comes for the spring.

So...the question. Should I continue to wait or just go ahead and repot junipers, pines and oak?

The tridents that did get repotted seem happy. :rolleyes:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Sacramento, CA area has just completed its wettest February ever. We have future storms backing up and there seems to be no end in sight.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/95648:4:US

I started repotting in January during a brief glimpse of sun that I....thought... might be coming to stay. It didn't.
The repotted trees seem to be okay, but I'm not potting others due to uncertainty of whether I should wait til the sun ACTUALLY comes for the spring.

So...the question. Should I continue to wait or just go ahead and repot junipers, pines and oak?

The tridents that did get repotted seem happy. :rolleyes:
Repot, when the sun peaks out thebuds will move fast. Your right about the rain though we visited Folsom so my wife could attend a Quilt and fibre arts show first week in february! Torrential rains for several days so we headed for the coast and found snow in the Napa Valley between further rains. The reservoirs should be in great shape this summer.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welllll.... okaaaaayyyy.... Here goes.
Yikes! ;)

My perennial PROBLEM olive doesn't like the temps. I brought it inside and gave it a grow bulb. The diddly thing is trying to get to the windows and IGNORING the lamp.
The other 2 olives stayed outside and are just hunky dory. :)

Today, Mr. Problem Olive goes outside too.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My concern isn't really with ...damage... to roots but rather to a possibly erroneous assumption that some sun and ....SOME.... warmth will stimulate the rooting.
:)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I start repotting mid winter down here - winter min temps around or just below freezing- and continue right through to when the buds start to open. Earlier repotted trees just sit and wait for the warmth to start growing new roots and shoots so I don't think you have any need to worry unless you get really cold night temps. Junipers and pines are usually done later after deciduous leaves have started to open (really only because I don't have time earlier and they don't seem to mind later repot)
I can repot olives, azaleas and most Australian natives even later in spring or even summer. Figs and other sub-tropical are best root pruned in warmer weather up to mid summer so they recover quick.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My concern isn't really with ...damage... to roots but rather to a possibly erroneous assumption that some sun and ....SOME.... warmth will stimulate the rooting.
:)
It all depends on what you mean by warmth. Bottom heat is beneficial to root growth post re-pot, but not required by any means. Most trees become metabolically active at temps at or over 40 F, so roots will be growing if the soil warms to that point each day. Keep the soil from freezing and you'll be good to go.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welllll.... okaaaaayyyy.... Here goes.
Yikes! ;)

My perennial PROBLEM olive doesn't like the temps. I brought it inside and gave it a grow bulb. The diddly thing is trying to get to the windows and IGNORING the lamp.
The other 2 olives stayed outside and are just hunky dory. :)

Today, Mr. Problem Olive goes outside too.
The bulb isnt bright enough.

Top Bottom