How much would you pay? Cypress

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’m buying not selling and stumbled upon these interesting roots as I walked by a BC. What is a reasonable price? Considering I’m in FL. I’m sure they’re more in further places.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Personally, I wouldn't buy it regardless of price... ramrod straight trunk with no taper and a rat's nest for roots. That's a lot of work to fix at any price.
That’s what I was afraid of. I like the way the spiral looks but they want waaaay to much. Thanks for the help!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
The
Ditto! Roots are poor!, no apparent flare at base, taper missing! All the basics appear to be missing.
What are you interested in?
The spiral caught my eye walking by. I figure it was root bound at some point as a seedling and created that spin. With two quick negative responses it’s a definite no I guess. Lol

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The

The spiral caught my eye walking by. I figure it was root bound at some point as a seedling and created that spin. With two quick negative responses it’s a definite no I guess. Lol
A good way to train your eye is to study the variety of guides used to evaluate Bonsai for judging in a show. You will quickly realize that certain characteristics are considered more important than others. This gives you a clear indication of potential. Are the important characteristics present or is the potential apparent? Generally speaking some things are very difficult or almost impossible to change, thus not desirable for purchase. I would class three characteristics as deal breakers.
Poor roots!
Poor base !
Poor trunk movement and taper!

This assumes that you have the skill and experience to improve other aspects such as branching and foliage.
Whether you are starting out or improving your collection, learning to select better material is a valuable direction to take in my opinion. Don't be afraid to take your time in selecting material and or developing it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m buying not selling and stumbled upon these interesting roots as I walked by a BC. What is a reasonable price? Considering I’m in FL. I’m sure they’re more in further pl
Those aren't interesting. They're a mess. Beginners often make the error of mistaking a knot of roots as "interesting" when in fact they're the opposite. Do those look natural, or do they look like they've been cramped into a growing container all their lives?

Good nebari looks effortlessly natural, as roots do in "regular sized" trees. Bonsai isn't grotesque or weird, for the most part (although the "weird" style was the rage back in the 1880's or so in Japan, but it faded).

Bonsai is nature in miniature...In your area where BC is native, set your sights higher. BC are among the most easily collected trees for bonsai in the U.S.

Take a spin through here to see what good BC nebari can be.

Josh m

Seed
Reaction score
So I picked this one up for $70 at a local land scaping nursery. I love bald cypress, I have two in my collection and they're great for bonsaing and they're pretty easy to work on. These people 🤪🤦🏽‍♂️😅

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_184140_015.jpg
    IMG_20200520_184140_015.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200703_133644_520.jpg
    IMG_20200703_133644_520.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 64

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Those aren't interesting. They're a mess. Beginners often make the error of mistaking a knot of roots as "interesting" when in fact they're the opposite. Do those look natural, or do they look like they've been cramped into a growing container all their lives?

Good nebari looks effortlessly natural, as roots do in "regular sized" trees. Bonsai isn't grotesque or weird, for the most part (although the "weird" style was the rage back in the 1880's or so in Japan, but it faded).

Bonsai is nature in miniature...In your area where BC is native, set your sights higher. BC are among the most easily collected trees for bonsai in the U.S.

Take a spin through here to see what good BC nebari can be.
I like weird! Lol did a definite pass I was too concerned with the old root bound. Looks like I’m buying prebonsai from Wigart’s, saplings or collecting. Because I can’t find decent trees at anywhere close to the prices you guys all seem to! Every tree I looked at that’s trunk was maybe 3 inches base around 6 inches was well over 200 and all were root bound like crazy.
I get what you mean about effortless nebari and plan on most of my trees looking good from root to tip. The occasional weird tree as part of a collection keeps it interesting IMO! Lol.

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you’re willing to grow out your own trunk, I bought two bald cypress from Walmart for 6 dollars each, about an inch and a half thick trunk. One has a neat root system I will be keeping, one has a bit of a mess that’ll probably end up ground layering off for a more symmetrical flair. Might be worth looking for something like that at a big box store

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You guys are making me want to go tree shopping.....STOP IT!

I do love Bald Cypress.....
I take that original tree if it was free.....and hack the hell out of it. It is a serious mess, but I have one that was also a mess, I cut off about 95% of the roots and it has survived so far. I keep mine flooded for about 5 days out of the week.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
If you’re willing to grow out your own trunk, I bought two bald cypress from Walmart for 6 dollars each, about an inch and a half thick trunk. One has a neat root system I will be keeping, one has a bit of a mess that’ll probably end up ground layering off for a more symmetrical flair. Might be worth looking for something like that at a big box store
So jealous! I hit every big box hoping to find little ones and nothing. But Arkansas has them at 1.5” for $6 screw big box stores! Lmao

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So jealous! I hit every big box hoping to find little ones and nothing. But Arkansas has them at 1.5” for $6 screw big box stores! Lmao

Rule of thumb in bonsai, you mostly get what you pay for...cheap really isn't cheap, you pay one way or the other. If you want a BC, find a club that can take you to dig one out of the wild. Buying one from Home Depot in Florida is probably some kind of crime 😁 .

And a word on "weird" Everyone who gets into bonsai think they LOVE weird trees, until they've been doing it long enough to understand why weird doesn't make great bonsai. If you keep at it, in the next three to five years, you will look at those weird trees and wonder "WHY did I waste my time on THAT?" Some will say that's part of the learning curve. Maybe, but starting earlier with better stock is also a lesson that gives you less embarrassing trees down the road.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
For example
Rule of thumb in bonsai, you mostly get what you pay for...cheap really isn't cheap, you pay one way or the other. If you want a BC, find a club that can take you to dig one out of the wild. Buying one from Home Depot in Florida is probably some kind of crime 😁 .

And a word on "weird" Everyone who gets into bonsai think they LOVE weird trees, until they've been doing it long enough to understand why weird doesn't make great bonsai. If you keep at it, in the next three to five years, you will look at those weird trees and wonder "WHY did I waste my time on THAT?" Some will say that's part of the learning curve. Maybe, but starting earlier with better stock is also a lesson that gives you less embarrassing trees down the road.
true! I have trees to collect that I actually have permission to collect too, having help would be nice though. Problem is we work weekends so I don’t have a chance in hell of getting to any meetings. May actually pay to join just to get access to the contacts. Either that or pester some of you guys in FL to come with me! 🤣😂🤣😂

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you keep at it, in the next three to five years, you will look at those weird trees and wonder "WHY did I waste my time on THAT?"
This is uncannily true for me! I was just last night looking through my albums from two years ago (so July 2018). WTF IS this? I thought it was so beautiful.

Even worse than being ugly, it was dead 3 weeks later.

20180721101713_0V5A3864.JPG

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
This is uncannily true for me! I was just last night looking through my albums from two years ago (so July 2018). WTF IS this? I thought it was so beautiful.

Even worse than being ugly, it was dead 3 weeks later.

View attachment 314662
Doesn’t look that ugly! A few cuts and it could be saved. But I get your point 100%

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eastern Diamondback Anti venom is probly less than $70....go to the fucking swamp and get a real BC.

Sorce

Top Bottom