How much would you pay? Cypress

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
@sorce I did. I passed on all the nursery trees. I was hoping to get more trees than I could find from just digging but they were all just terrible! I’m gonna get a tree farm in the area to order me a bunch of seedlings to start because I love cypress and want more around our properties and... well... more cypress means more collecting as well as the opportunity to plant them for better nebari right off the bat which means better trees in the future! I also have seen a tree we planted in a horrible spot grow from 1” dia. to a 12” dia. at waist high and add 40’ of height in less than 20 years. I’m in a good growing area for sure! About 4 years ago I seemed to see a drastic drop in seedlings on all cypress near us. People I know that would literally mow them till they quit coming up stopped getting them and so did we. No idea why. I’m hoping the last two properties I haven’t scouted yet will have some nice trees or at least a bunch of seedlings I can encourage!

May also get me a couple prebonsai cypress because I don’t want to collect and do after care and then finally do bonsai! I will still be collecting for sure though this spring if any experts on collecting want to come show me how it’s done. Videos and reading only go so far so without help I’ll probably only do one just to make sure I don’t kill the trees.

PS no moon comments, or other unusual philosophical ramblings. You feel strongly about this... lol

PPS does anyone plant in a bonsai soil or other amendment in the ground to promote better rooting while growing? Or is that a waste of lava rock? What about the buried colander concept? Waste of time? Good idea? Edging with holes and plant above ground, expanded metal grow trays perhaps aluminum? Because I know steel can be toxic to trees. All of this probably needs its own thread... let me think of more insane ideas so y’all can poke holes in them. Lol.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trent, check on Sarasota Craigslist to see if the young man who is selling Bald Cypress is still in business. He had great young trees when I bought mine a couple years ago.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Trent, check on Sarasota Craigslist to see if the young man who is selling Bald Cypress is still in business. He had great young trees when I bought mine a couple years ago.
Oooh thanks! From down here or have them shipped? That’s right down the road from me.

Top Bottom