How much would you price this tree ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Today I went to a bonsai nursery and found this juniper . I believe it’s not a Shimpaku but just a normal Juniper . How much would you guys say it should be ?2FECD55A-D677-4E7B-A0D9-89D43E6DA741.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the nebari look like? It's got good "bones" to begin with, but a lot depends on what that root surface looks like...

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I don't think it is something I would buy at any price. But I don't have another 20 years to make it into a bonsai. If you've got the time and inclination to graft better foliage and develop it then it might be worth $25 as it is now.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I had it in my collection and wanted to sell it, I’d probably price it at about $40. It has a nice-ish trunk, but the challenges are no foliage close to the trunk and what appears to be very leggy foliage type. Not sure how you’d ever make it a decent bonsai unless you grafted it. Just my 2 cents.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would think $80 -$120 is fair, and the second you get it home and make plans it is worth $200. :)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Knowing the prices in this area, $25 is too low for what something similar would go for around here even in a landscape nursery.
This is in a bonsai nursery which as we know can increase the price by that alone :rolleyes:.

$50 to $100 would be my guess for what Id expect something like this would go for in the NY-NJ area.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can find that at general nurseries for landscaping and have a variety to sort through . I personally go to bonsai nurseries for material I can’t get at standard landscaping nurseries. It looks like a chinensis mint juniper to me. The lighter green smaller foliage. But it isn’t in the best of health but still is doing good.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can find that at general nurseries for landscaping and have a variety to sort through . I personally go to bonsai nurseries for material I can’t get at standard landscaping nurseries. It looks like a chinensis mint juniper to me. The lighter green smaller foliage. But it isn’t in the best of health but still is doing good.

Yea the heat we have been having has been beating a lot of the plants up this year.
It does have a nice trunk which would be my only real consideration for it.
I dont see many older shrubs like that at landscape nurseries around me, mostly its younger stuff for ~$20-$30

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The asking price probably 300 but i won't pay more than 50 for it. I don't like junipers.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So @Njyamadori you going to spill the beans and tell us how much they were asking for it????
Oh I got it for $50 and it’s now on my bench . I really like the tree for practice. It was in the back of the nursery and the guy just said I can take it for 50 and I didn’t negotiate because they sell sticks in pots for 400 .

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Also....NJyamadori is 6 years old so he/she will have more than enough time to make this a masterpiece 😂😂😂.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So here's the question... there are only two Chinese juniper cultivars that throw that kind of foliage...

Anyone want to guess which two?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So here's the question... there are only two Chinese juniper cultivars that throw that kind of foliage...

Anyone want to guess which two?
Trick question. You can’t identify cultivars just by looking at them. ;)

Top Bottom