How should I winter this maple ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I have recently got a maple from Facebook. I’ve never winterized a maple before. How are some ways I can make sure it’s safe this winter ?

Attachments

• 46076467-9570-486F-BCCA-4EC6684E97B4.jpeg
    46076467-9570-486F-BCCA-4EC6684E97B4.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 33

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Two very important questions.
1. What kind of maple?
2. What kind of climate was this maple in before it got to you? (For example, if this maple came from Florida, your care for the first few weeks might be a little different than if it was coming from Minnesota)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can leave it outside as long as night time lows are above 15F. Bring it into the garage, say, overnight, when temperatures are forecast to drop below 15F.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Two very important questions.
1. What kind of maple?
2. What kind of climate was this maple in before it got to you? (For example, if this maple came from Florida, your care for the first few weeks might be a little different than if it was coming from Minnesota)
The seller didn’t say what type but he called it a Japanese green maple . It was in the same climate as I live in

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
You can leave it outside as long as night time lows are above 15F. Bring it into the garage, say, overnight, when temperatures are forecast to drop below 15F.
Thanks ! I’m guessing I don’t water it only once a month ?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This.
I'll additionally suggest that while it is outside, keep it on the ground, ideally next to a windbreak. For example, next to the wall of a fence, house, etc.

Water it when it is dry. Which if it's outside and exposed to rain and snow, will likely be very rarely. If you have to bring it into a garage for an extended cold spell, it might need water once a week or every other week...something like that.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It can vary, depending on how dry the air is. Basically, wiggle your finger into the soil or stab a chopstick into it to check the soil/substrate moisture level. Water when the dryness is indicated (organic soil doesn't stick to your finger, substrate is changing to the dry color under the surface, or the chop stick feels dry when you extract it after a few moments).

Obviously watering won't be necessary when it is rainy. It might be occasionally as long as it is overcast. Pay close attention to the soil moisture whenever it is bright and sunny (low relative humidity).

K_10_G

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you have an area in your garden that won’t be disturbed you can dig a hole and bury the pot and cover with mulch. That would be the simplest you won’t even need to really water it if it not under a roof edge. A small cylinder of chicken wire to keep rabbits and deer off

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The upper part of the tree is dormant. Because there is no foliage the tree will use almost no water... but you can't let the roots dry out. You could truly water only once per month if the soil remains damp between waterings.

However you need to protect the roots. Yes, they are freeze resistant and can stand below freezing temps. However when in a small pot they don't have nearly the protection as if they were in a larger container of soil, or mulched into the ground. So I agree with all the suggestions about mulching, and if you can't mulch, slip pot it into a much larger container of soil. You could truly take a 5 gallon nursery pot filled with potting soil (or similar) and dig this little guy right into a hole in the middle (keeping it in the current container). Just don't bury the trunk.

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
You should let it fly south for the winter. It will know what to do by instinct, you just have to let it loose ;)

Top Bottom