How to achieve an full air layer

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Last yr, I made an air layer that got hardly any e. sun, but tons of western sun all day.
It worked, but half had hardly any roots/e. side, and was packed full on the w. side. Is there a way to avoid this in the future?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you sure it was the sun? What species? Green jap maples layet easy for me, I've had issues with trident maples just throwing out a few heavy roots.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In the ground there's not much you can do, an A/L in a pot can be turned regularly which will help but some trees root how they want no matter what.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have only got three layers under my belt,but I am going to use small colanders for now on full of sphagnum and akadama.Then I can water every time with Dyna gro KLN or B1. I noticed significantly more roots on zelkova sprouts that were given The Dyna gro KLN.And I am also in preference of the colander instead of bag cause' you can get a high IBA rooting gel and put it on the cut and let it firm up slightly(if that would even happen) and you will not smear it off fumbling with a zip lok bag.Seems you could only do everything possible.

Last edited:

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have only got three layers under my belt,but I am going to use small colanders for now on full of sphagnum and akadama.Then I can water every time with Dyna gro KLN or B1. I noticed significantly more roots on zelkova sprouts that were given The Dyna gro KLN.And I am also in preference of the colander instead of bag cause' you can get a high IBA rooting gel and put it on the cut and let it firm up slightly(if that would even happen) and you will not smear it off fumbling with a zip lok bag.Seems you could only do everything possible.
How are you layering with a colander?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I wondered this too as it seems almost counter-productive as the medium would dry rapidly. Pots work as well as the wrapped in plastic method but they dry out a bit quicker but a colander seems like it would dry out almost instantly with all the air exposure it would get.

ed

fore

Omono
Reaction score
In the ground there's not much you can do, an A/L in a pot can be turned regularly which will help but some trees root how they want no matter what.

It was a Pyrathanca in the ground. Thanks Rob, that's what I figured. I'm going to repot it come spring, and try to stimulate some new roots on that one side. I've been using Clonex btw and this has happened only once with intense western sun.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is my experience that the orchid sphagnum really holds on to moisture,I mean a lot.I am still going to very loosely put a ziplock bag around the pot while it is attached to the parent tree to slow down evaporation.I could even use 100 percent long sphagnum in the small colander.
If layering is new territory you can read in Bonsai Focus 4/2013 and also there is a great article in this link:http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering page2.html

The small colander is used instead of a bag,You just cut open the colander and wrap around the tree stem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wondered this too as it seems almost counter-productive as the medium would dry rapidly. Pots work as well as the wrapped in plastic method but they dry out a bit quicker but a colander seems like it would dry out almost instantly with all the air exposure it would get.

ed
Good point.I am going to loosely put a ziplock around it.I could even use pure sphagnum.I seen sphagnum last all day wet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 5

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you cut your colander in half and wire it back together around your branch? I was more confused by the physical aspect of how its done with something like a colander. I think its a great idea but ive never used one...only bags.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you cut your colander in half and wire it back together around your branch? I was more confused by the physical aspect of how its done with something like a colander. I think its a great idea but ive never used one...only bags.

Yea,I was going to cut it open and anchor tight to the tree so there is absolutely no movement that would twist any roots.I see it done usually with screen ,but that is usually at the base of a tree in a bonsai pot.It just seems easier to me and the fact that I would have to water it every day with KLN seemed a plus and maybe more conducive to root growth.I definately would not want any drying going on.I am totally digging layering.Awesome article in 4/2013 Bonsai Focus,where layering is done on small trees.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Instead of a colander I would consider a nursery pot cut to fit around the layer area. filled with bonsai soil. Much less chance of drying out. I use this method more then any other.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Instead of a colander I would consider a nursery pot cut to fit around the layer area. filled with bonsai soil. Much less chance of drying out. I use this method more then any other.

Is there a trick to get the pot cut to fit tree, without breakage? The green one are so easily broken.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea, I noticed that a pot and a colander is like night and day as far as water evaporation is concerned.Thanks for the tip ,I will definately consider it.I am layering a bunch of 1/2 inch maple stock off a tree.
Did not mean to hijack your thread Fore.Thanks for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 18

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have done a little different way on what I use for airlayering.
I use rapping foil to hold the spagnum moss (80%) and perlite (20%) which gives me lots of radial roots my cut is 1-1/8" around the trunk ,yeah I do use a tape mainly for a straight line.
You must tie the top and bottom ends of the foil and poke holds under and kind of funnel shape the top edges to collect water that runs down the trunk. Can't find the pictures on how I did step by step. Also I have used a cut down 5gallon nursery pot, cut from top side to bottom and half way to the base of the pot, then measure the trunk diameter to cut slightly 1/4" more leaving a gap for excess water drainage. The soil mix can be simple, pumice and akadama 50/50.
Both methods work but like the foil because I can see the difference when the roots swell the foil...
Here's 2 maples of last year airlayered and in pot which will be in ground to get a biger spread root ball.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Yea, I noticed that a pot and a colander is like night and day as far as water evaporation is concerned.Thanks for the tip ,I will definately consider it.I am layering a bunch of 1/2 inch maple stock off a tree.
Did not mean to hijack your thread Fore.Thanks for it.

No worries Cmeg. I'm just glad others found this useful.

Top Bottom