How to approach pine needle discoloration

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all, I'm not a plant pathologist or horticulturist but I'm a tree lover in long time. I wanted to become a horticulturist when I was young, then finally changed to different direction :)

I believe the bonsai artist needs to know how to recognize their tree problem and immediately take care it before it's too late. I hate to see my invaluable trees gone due to their sickness.

To solve the problem, we need to know the original source and fix it from there, otherwise it will come back in no time.

This approach is created by me and helped me a lot. I want to share it to everyone here. I hope it would help whoever doesn't know how to recognize the pine problem. Please feel free to discuss about it.

P/S: Again, I need some help. I don't know how to enlarge a file here. Thanks
Bonhe

Attachments

• img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For the newer learner (or even some of us older ones) that is a great basic structure for evaluating potential problems! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Some of the text is a little harder to read, so I am not certain if you addressed healthy but yellowing needles which can often be corrected with the use of such things as chalated iron.

In any case... great post!

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe, this is very very interesting! I like what you are doing with this. Maybe you could include a definition of what is a "normal" coloration first, at different seasons. Then describe what are the "abnormal" changes in more details. And may be include pictures. There are some books on plant physiology available. You could reference those too.
There is also another very important factor to consider, and that is the time of onset and duration (acuity) of these discolorations. Another factor is location of the start of the discoloration, like which branches, top or bottom. For example, in case of fertiliser overdose injury, the browing and wilt and drying will occur quickly (acute) and diffusely, and especially affecting young growing tips.

Where does lack of nutrients (under fertilization) and sun damage (too hot and too bright) fits in on your chart?

I like where you are going with this. This is very helpful. Thanks for sharing it.
Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Victrinia, thanks for kind words. Yes, I think I should elaborate it more. However, alkaline soil is one of the cause of iron deficiency. Bonhe

Hi Si, welcome back to the forum. Thanks a lot for your comment Si. You want me to write a book for this, don't you? :):) Any way, it will help me a lot to add more details in this subject. Man! I will need your help in the near future. I'm thinking to do some diagnostic tests for tree diseases and need someone can help me with microscope and you are perfect one for that, aren't you?:)

Lack of nutrients and sun damage are under tip of needle section. I will develop more in other diagram (you cann't have great details in one chart, right? :)
Bonhe

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe,

Since I am new to J. Black Pines I am assuming that this guide will work for J. Black pines too? Thanks for posting it.

Ryan

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's my pleasure Ryan. This guide is for JBP, but I think you can also apply it for other pines.
Bonhe

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonhes guide inlarged

Here you go bonhes guide.

bonhes.jpg

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the quick reply bonhe. This is VERY helpful for someone like me who is relatively new to JBP and a visual learner.

Emil Brannstrom

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! As it happens my first yamadori (sentimental value) is definetly dying. Many needles (not uniform) are drying from the tip and the shoots seem slightly limp but still a good color. As the needles dry up the tips starts to twist. The tips go from yellow to a reddish brown. There's no difference between shaded areas and those that get more sun. Hmm, what else...I really don't think it's from lack of water and the soil isn't clogged up. No insects as far as I can see. Does anyone have any ideas? I personally think it might be fert burn but I haven't really been that aggressive. On the other hand the soil is a bit on the water retentive (sp?) side. Help...please? :)

Regards
Emil

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Emil,

How long ago was it collected? I can't help much but I'm sure some one who can will want to know that.

Ryan

Emil Brannstrom

Yamadori
Reaction score
2005, last repot in 2007 (or 2006, can't remember). It's been growing completely normal since collected, several new buds this year (and every other year). No real bending other than some minor fixes this spring. No wire cutting in anywhere. It had some minor problems with needle cast but nothing that would cause it to act like this. The needle cast only made it shed old needles, which I've cut off anyway each autumn. Which in turn means that if it sheds this seasons needles it's left with VERY few needles. Oh, another important clue, the drying tips has only affected the new growth. The few needles I left last autumn seems unaffected (sp?).

Thanks!

Regards
Emil

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Emil, I'm thinking your pine is suffering from air pollution since you see reddish brown needles and it occurs on new needles. However, it could be a sign of root damage which might be due to decay, or insects or others. Good luck. Bonhe

Top Bottom