How to be a successful bonsai beginner

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After reading a lot of beginner threads on this site over the years, I am going to create a thread of advice about how to get the best start on your bonsai journey.

Simply put - take advantage of all of the people who have gone before you!

At some level there is a bit of skeptic in all of us, and we need to fight the urge to dive in and just start doing stuff because we are excited and we want to start growing trees NOW! And plus we are pretty smart, and self-confident and think "how hard can it be?" And so we fail. A lot. Meanwhile we are surrounded by people with a lot of experience who can look at what we just did and say "well I could have told you that wasn't going to work, because I made the same mistake 30 years ago!"

So focus on repeating other peoples' successes, instead of other peoples' failures.

Find someone with experience, and use their experience as your starting point. Try to learn everything they know - and master it, even if it takes you five or ten years. Don't be the person who spends 25 years learning what other people already know doesn't work - repeating all the mistakes they have already made. Once you become experienced, you can always try to improve upon processes, or techniques, or designs. But you are starting from a position of knowledge, instead of a position of ignorance.

This site can be an amazing resource. There are people here with decades of experience, including professionals who make a living in bonsai who come here to interact with people without asking for anything in return (except perhaps a little respect). Many members here have participated in national shows and won significant recognition for their work. Wouldn't it be better to start by trying to replicate their success, instead of striking out on your own?

Listen. Ask questions. Listen some more. And then try to do what they tell you... exactly. Only when you can replicate their success should you try to improve upon it. Don't try to run before you can walk. You waste years and years of time... and get frustrated along the way.

Last edited:

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After reading a lot of beginner threads on this site over the years, I am going to create a thread of advice about how to get the best start on your bonsai journey.

Simply put - take advantage of all of the people who have gone before you!

At some level there is a bit of skeptic in all of us, and we need to fight the urge to dive in and just start doing stuff because we are excited and we want to start growing trees NOW! And plus we are pretty smart, and self-confident and think "how hard can it be?" And so we fail. A lot. Meanwhile we are surrounded by people with a lot of experience who can look at what we just did and say "well I could have told you that wasn't going to work, because I made the same mistake 30 years ago!"

So focus on repeating other peoples' successes, instead of other peoples' failures.

Find someone with experience, and use their experience as your starting point. Try to learn everything they know - and master it, even if it takes you five or ten years. Don't be the person who spends 25 years learning what other people already know- repeating all the mistakes they have already made. Once you become experienced, you can always try to improve upon processes, or techniques, or designs. But you are starting from a position of knowledge, instead of a position of ignorance.

This site can be an amazing resource. There are people here with decades of experience, including professionals who make a living in bonsai who come here to interact with people without asking for anything in return (except perhaps a little respect). Many members here have participated in national shows and won significant recognition for their work. Wouldn't it be better to start by trying to replicate their success, instead of striking out on your own?

Listen. Ask questions. Listen some more. And then try to do what they tell you... exactly. Only when you can replicate their success should you try to improve upon it. Don't try to run before you can walk. You waste years and years of time... and get frustrated along the way.
I started 3 years ago actually practicing rather then just growing trees because I like to. I’m very grateful for the people here who share their knowledge and expertise. It’s a cool community!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I agree strongly with this as someone beginning my journey. The folks who have been helping me probably think I'm a lunatic for how often I've been going, but this is not my first rodeo with other hobbies like this and I know from the years of keeping bonsai that it's the direction I want to go.

Adding on to that, the value of having a person or group of people with a specific proven foundational method of success gives you a jumping off point that the act of leaping from opinion to opinion finds more difficult to provide. There's almost a very literal sense of not knowing what you're looking at at the beginning, akin to when you were a child and tried to draw for the first time and didn't understand why your hand wasn't making the picture you saw in your head. If you're trying to draw wisdom from two different artists with two different opinions on color theory, it's just not going to make sense.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good stuff Greg. I am still humbled by the willingness for 30+ year practitioners to willingly and openly give advice and expertise. They have no obligation to do so, but they do, and willingly. Indebted to this site.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Many people see bonsai and fall in love with a species that is difficult to keep and then come here and ask for advice on how to resurrect it, after the fact. Skip that first failure. As above said, find a species that will grow in your situation.

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
Forsoothe, I'm a beginner and guilty of picking a few hard to grow trees, and then asking what went wrong. I see you're in Michigan, me too. I live in Grand Rapids. Any advice of "proven winners" in Michigan?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Forsoothe, I'm a beginner and guilty of picking a few hard to grow trees, and then asking what went wrong. I see you're in Michigan, me too. I live in Grand Rapids. Any advice of "proven winners" in Michigan?
It is more common than you think. I had a tropical potted house plant/tree for years. It gave me the utter belief anything from down south could grow for me. When in fact not all trees want to winter indoors. It was my first eye opener.

Understanding your winter set up...always helps one gain an understanding of what one can winter in their area. At least for me it offers more understanding.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I kind of missed this when I started. No, actually, I didn't miss it, I ignored it.

One good thing to keep in mind with bonsai is that you have to forget everything you know about potted plants. Then learn bonsai. Then remember everything you already knew and apply it.
Traditional gardening and plant keeping just doesn't mix well with bonsai. It causes conflicts of information when you try to mix the two until you reach a point where it all makes sense. That's when the magic starts happening.
That was the hardest part to me personally.

I do disagree with the waste of time though. But that's more of a philosophical standpoint; time spent learning, making mistakes and doing what you like is never wasted. It's time well spent.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yay for another Grand Rapidian :) Forsoothe has far more knowledge than I, but happy to chat if you want to reach out.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not even 2 years in, but many more to go...
Thanks to the advice on here I’m 4 months in my apprenticeship at a local professionals studio, whenever I have the time between life /my job. While also practicing on my own curated material/pots/ tools. Very appreciative of this opportunity ...Even going on a collecting trip for Larch and Pitch pine with my teacher soon.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You'd think that now that I know it all I wouldn't have any more failures. Actually, I still try to grow things that I should be smart enough to avoid, and the outcomes are pretty predictable. It's like being told to marry the plain girl that can cook and clean give you healthy kids.
And then looking for her hanging out in bar?

The fig family includes all the tropical figs all of which are bulletproof and there are many different leaf shapes for good plants to overwinter as houseplants. Mulberry is in the same family and is a bulletproof hardy tree. The whole family grows fast, takes drastic work without pouting too much and are available nearly everywhere. Mulberry is native to NA and they are seeded by birds regularly, so just look around the yard. Don't be fooled by the big leaves which are shaped like the state of Michigan because they reduce and get frilly at the same time. You are lucky to live where you can have a Tamarack forest of trees you can collect anywhere up north from Midland north. Just drive up M31, M37 or US 131, watch the skyline and look for low areas. Take your boots. I'll let others offer other trees for beginners, except @sorce who has already blown it with Mugo Pine, which is not easy to keep alive unless you never work on them.

See you at Meijer Gardens in May!

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
Yay for another Grand Rapidian :) Forsoothe has far more knowledge than I, but happy to chat if you want to reach out.
I'd love to hear about your success stories. I'm paying attention to trees/shrubs in my neighborhood that seem to do well. I've even collected some material in my yard and neighborhood. Of course, I'd love to get some classic trees for bonsai, but I'm just not sure how well they'd do in our climate.

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
You'd think that now that I know it all I wouldn't have any more failures. Actually, I still try to grow things that I should be smart enough to avoid, and the outcomes are pretty predictable. It's like being told to marry the plain girl that can cook and clean give you healthy kids.
And then looking for her hanging out in bar?

The fig family includes all the tropical figs all of which are bulletproof and there are many different leaf shapes for good plants to overwinter as houseplants. Mulberry is in the same family and is a bulletproof hardy tree. The whole family grows fast, takes drastic work without pouting too much and are available nearly everywhere. Mulberry is native to NA and they are seeded by birds regularly, so just look around the yard. Don't be fooled by the big leaves which are shaped like the state of Michigan because they reduce and get frilly at the same time. You are lucky to live where you can have a Tamarack forest of trees you can collect anywhere up north from Midland north. Just drive up M31, M37 or US 131, watch the skyline and look for low areas. Take your boots. I'll let others offer other trees for beginners, except @sorce who has already blown it with Mugo Pine, which is not easy to keep alive unless you never work on them.

See you at Meijer Gardens in May!
This is very helpful. Mulberry it is.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd love to hear about your success stories. I'm paying attention to trees/shrubs in my neighborhood that seem to do well. I've even collected some material in my yard and neighborhood. Of course, I'd love to get some classic trees for bonsai, but I'm just not sure how well they'd do in our climate.
There are plenty of native species that are suitable! @Leo in N E Illinois has the best lists of suitable species in our zone. I’ll try to dig up the post but maybe search here for “native species Midwest”.
Jack pine, American larch and American hornbeam are a few.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks also, for starting this outstanding thread.
I'm also one that sincerely appreciates all the folks here, that are willing to share their experiences.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are 5b, right? If so you might find use with My post where a lot of forum members help me narrow down some species to work in our climate.

Top Bottom