How to break down Pine Bark

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Thank you so much!!!

I found a Canadian supplier. I bought two 35L bags, should hold me off for awhile. Seems pricey but beggars can't be choosers!

I love this forum, and all you enthusiasts who take time to answer our questions!
Orchiata bark precision is amazing!!! They are the only producer of bark this small and your fine root production will be amazing. It kinda sucks that all the precision that was intended for the US is still stuck in containers and no one can ship organics to the US. I'm actually considering using coco coir for my water retention additive.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Orchiata bark precision is amazing!!! They are the only producer of bark this small and your fine root production will be amazing. It kinda sucks that all the precision that was intended for the US is still stuck in containers and no one can ship organics to the US. I'm actually considering using coco coir for my water retention additive.
Welp never mind on the coco coir it holds waayyy too much water!!!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welp never mind on the coco coir it holds waayyy too much water!!!
It does hold a lot of water but it is never soggy like peat. I like it. But I imagine there are various grades and quality.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
It does hold a lot of water but it is never soggy like peat. I like it. But I imagine there are various grades and quality.
I think I'm just stuck on the orchiata precision and the fact that I can't find anything that small is making me feel a bit desperate. Repot season is 2 months away for me and I usually already have everything I need by now.

AnjTO

Seed
Reaction score
Here in Toronto I've found Kambark and Fafard Mini Pine Bark nuggets. 2 cubic feet for $10 normal price & $8 on sale. They're still pretty big chunks so I run it through a vacuum mulcher. A lot more price efficient if you don't mind sifting through fines. Although I am getting lazy, wish I had an automated sifter and wood chipper for this process but those are more expensive.

LAS

Yamadori
Reaction score
Im thinking of buying a few bags of the 1/4 inch pine bark fines from bonsai jack which i really like. I want to break it down a little before incorporating it into the soil mix. Ive got a big tub that has drain holes and im thinking of putting it outside until next spring for potting time. I would periodically add a little organic nitrogen in the form of liquid feather meal and some mycorhizae/mycelium to help break it down. Would this be enough time to compost/age this bark so it doesnt suck nitrogen from the soil mix? Or is this step not neccessary if i fertilize the trees heavily?

Top Bottom