How to buy a bonsai tree.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you have the $$$$$$ to buy a quality, well established bonsai tree to add to your collection, how do you go about finding that special tree?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you looking for a particular species, size, price range? Do you want it to be local (a tree you can see in person before purchasing) or are you willing to purchase based on photos? There are many vendors out there and I'm sure some people will share their experience (I haven't really purchased any well developed trees that way). The National show in the fall will certainly be a great opportunity.

Some vendors I know of:
Don Blackmond (gregorybeachbonsai.com)
Bonsaiimportcompany.com
Bonsai Mirai (Ryan Neil)
Bonsai West
New England Bonsai

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
how do you go about finding that special tree?

Single-bonsai's-meet.com

Seriously though, If you can get a hold of him on here, Don Blackmond sells GREAT quality trees priced from mild to wild. Just tell him, or anyone that sells higher quality trees what your price range is and what you are looking for. Different vendors specialize in different species of plants usually what grows well for them in their area.

When were talking "quality" trees, its not so much or shouldn't be the case of find one with good roots or taper...that's kinda why your dropping the big bucks in the first place is to avoid common problems like this. Though it can still happen, it is an art after all. Different people like different things and some people may not think a little bit of reverse taper in a trunk line truly ruins the overall tree. Maybe it adds to it?? Just depends on what your "cup of tea" is.

For me, I like the unusual. Species that will winter in my location without much fuzz, but something you just dont see at the local shows or exhibits. Flowers are nice!!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First questions should be do you have ability to care for valuable tree or plan to pay professional to keep for you? If number 2 what is point of buying if not kept at home?:confused:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The point of number 2 would be sponsorship of a professional allowing him/her to expand the business (and create more extremely priced trees).
If I had money to burn, I'd just start buying good stock trees and make my own. I think there's much more fun in that.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would also check with anyone who's trees that you admire if they have anything they would sell, or where they have gotten trees from.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I actually did try that first. Contacted Brian Van Fleet in the hopes he had something available. But, no luck :(
Yeah, sorry about that. When we moved to the current house, I really purged about 3/4 of my trees, and only have 5 Japanese maples in pots at the moment, 2 of those are in Anderson flats. The few trees I would part with at this point, I would rather burn than ship.?

Since you’re in Rochester, you should really go to Bill’s place. He has lots available for sale in a wide price range, and an extensive selection of J maples. Then you can put that $100 of shipping cash toward a better tree.

Always shop for a Bonsai from the ground up. Start with the best radial nebari, best clean trunk, best primary branch placement, etc. Don’t get too enamored with the canopy, since you can change that in a growing season or two. Find one that will do well in your climate, or that you can easily care for in your climate.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great list...one which isn't on it...SCOTT LEE. You can find him on Facebook. Shoot him a price point and what your looking for. He's got all prices ranges. He's my go to guy. I usually ask him before checking elsewhere.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Always shop for a Bonsai from the ground up. Start with the best radial nebari, best clean trunk, best primary branch placement, etc. Don’t get too enamored with the canopy, since you can change that in a growing season or two. Find one that will do well in your climate, or that you can easily care for in your climate.
I'm actually kind of impressed with myself. That was my thought process.

Thanks Brian!

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I were you I would save up my money for the National Bonsai Exhibition. They will have a large vendor area. If you don't find anything there you might be able to find a contact for what you want.
YEP. Doing that as well. The show is only an hours drive for me. In fact I'm hoping to help out our local club to set up at the show so I'll be able to be one of the first ones to see what people have available :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In your area, Rochester, I'd contact Bill Valavanis. He is in your town and is one of the best bonsai growers in the country and has been for decades. With a resource like Bill nearby, I'd skip all the others mentioned here, as getting an established tree shipped put it at moderate to severe risk of damage.

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/

If he isn't selling great trees, he certainly knows who is in your area and beyond...

Top Bottom