How to cold stratify Trident Maple seeds?

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello, I recently acquired some Trident Maple seeds from online and was wondering if others could check my process. I scarified them with hot water, and currently have them in sealed plastic bags at 39 degrees F in the fridge. However, I was worried about mold and other stuff growing on the seeds when I'm stratifying them for 90 days in the fridge. Is there a way to prevent this? For some of the bags I poked a couple of holes or left the bag slightly open for circulation, but wasn't sure if this would work. Thanks!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wrap the seeds up in a damp paper towel and place it inside a ziplock bag and zip it closed. Place the bag in the vegetable drawer and wait. Check the seeds at least once a week and if the paper towel starts to get mold, change it out with a new one. You have roughly 60-90 wait so plan the stratification wisely.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a bunch of unneeded baloney! Just put in pot with soil, cover with screen and put outdoors. In Spring instant trees😂. Yes, just that easy if not killed by hot H2O. Nothing fancy needed!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've also used chopped sphagnum moss, but it's a pain to pull seeds that germinated as well as being messy.
I have learned to chop my sphagnum finer and I mix it with perlite. This helps a lot to separate the seeds. Then I saturate with my peroxide/water.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a bunch of unneeded baloney! Just put in pot with soil, cover with screen and put outdoors. In Spring instant trees😂. Yes, just that easy if not killed by hot H2O. Nothing fancy needed!
agreed. It is what I do. I do a warm soak and warm stratification in winter, if I get seeds from unknown source, as seeds often are very far dried out.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the reminder 😉… palmatums and tridents steeping in the kitchen at the moment. They’ll get a spritz of peroxide before going back into the crisper for a few months- that’s where I store the dry seeds before stratification.
1F80A1FC-F875-4288-980D-2C92C7698FD9.jpeg

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks everyone for the input! I'm continuing the stratification process in the fridge, but switched out the original paper towel with a paper towel moistened with a 50/50 solution of water and hydrogen peroxide. I'm hoping that will prevent the formation of mold and other things in the bag.

Last edited:

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
^ Is that okay? For some of them I left it with just water but gonna monitor the seeds weekly regardless.

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can you just plant the seeds in a container and leave them outside through the winter until they germinate? Seems to be a more natural way to do it.

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Can you just plant the seeds in a container and leave them outside through the winter until they germinate? Seems to be a more natural way to do it.
True but winter is over in Florida so you use the fridge or wait until November to start the process outside.

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, unless you missed winter with the seed order, then you only have the fridge until spring of next year.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just use peroxide straight from the brown bottle... This has worked two years with no mold issues, for me.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
Anyone ever try green spagnum in a blender and strainer?

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Last fall I forgot about the peroxide mix so I used diluted mouthwash, originally made the solution to keep powdery mildew at bay. It worked but I diluted it quite a bit out of fear it might damage the seeds.

When I prep the seeds I put them in apple cider vinegar for a few minutes to sterilize them. That usually allows them to get halfway through stratification before mold starts forming.

I also like to soak them in lukewarm water (in a yeti) for a day or so before bagging and putting them in the fridge.

Top Bottom