How to curtail the apex leaders growth if at all on Bald Cypress

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So noticing leader of Bald Cypress thickening far faster than the rest of the branches. (Had cut back hard and redoing many branches for added movement.)
You can see the branching off...it's doing great. But it's thickening so quickly. Much more than the other branches and producing ramifications of the main leader as well. Assuming possibly cutting back branch...but pondering how much to take it back to.
20180610_134610.jpg

20180610_135431.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Bald cypress want to be BIG, BIG, TALL trees and will grow that way. I'd think maintaining a shohin version of one would be a bit complicated, too. Personally, I think you're going to have to cut the apex, and any other branch that becomes too vigorous, back to almost nothing repeatedly during the growing season to keep it small.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bald cypress want to be BIG, BIG, TALL trees and will grow that way. I'd think maintaining a shohin version of one would be a bit complicated, too. Personally, I think you're going to have to cut the apex, and any other branch that becomes too vigorous, back to almost nothing repeatedly during the growing season to keep it small.
Which is why I removed the last apex. Okay...that's what I needed to know. Thanks Dave...at some point I may decide to allow it to get taller.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful little tree

It's over here now, she's done a great job with it.

Top Bottom